Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 An Epic FR Adventure
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2003 :  08:56:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Delete Topic
Greetings,

In another scroll (namely this one), Mournblade, Brynweir and myself began a discussion about creating a Candlekeep forum Epic Adventure for FR due to the news about WotC not publishing any more adventures for the FR campaign setting.

I made the suggestion that perhaps some of the scribes and sages of the forums should perhaps craft our own adventure. So if you like this idea, I have started this scroll to help us organise some ideas.

Everybody is welcome, and the more people we have, the better, so let's hear what the rest of you think?.

Good learning...

- The Sage of Perth: For all your Realms Lore needs

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2003 :  12:23:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Okay, to get things going I am going to list some things that I would like to see covered in this adventure.

- Due to the fact that CotSQ focused on the Elven race, particularly the drow, I think this new Epic adventure should focus, or revolve around something dwarven.

- The next thing to ask, is when is the adventure going to be set, in the past, the present, or in the future. I think something set in the past, or the present would be appropriate.

- Next, we would need to address what the adventure will be about. I don't think we should base it on anything similar to CotSQ, perhaps instead placing the Epic adventure during a great period in dwarven history, a great war against the duergar for example, (but obviously not something so simple), I am just extrapolating here.

These are just some random ideas, I hope others will provide some input so we can get some sort of idea going. If anyone has anything different I would love to hear, so let's get some contributions coming.

Go to Top of Page

AraznBlair
Learned Scribe

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2003 :  15:36:03  Show Profile  Visit AraznBlair's Homepage Send AraznBlair a Private Message
Sage, I like the idea about a Dwarven epic. Maybe the epic should revolve around the first descovery of Mirthal Hall and about how it was lost to the Shadow Dragon latter on. We know how Bruenor and Drizzt reclaimed it but what about the original findings and the lost.

Arazn Blair
Fightermage Extrodinare
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2003 :  17:35:21  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message
Well Met

quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

Okay, to get things going I am going to list some things that I would like to see covered in this adventure.

- Due to the fact that CotSQ focused on the Elven race, particularly the drow, I think this new Epic adventure should focus, or revolve around something dwarven.

Hmmmmm, Dwarven eh?! 'Twould be a refreshing change, although mind not to bear any similarities for a various of a previously penned tale of the Realms by a certain hallowed scribe named Salvatore. Also, I believe an adventure named Axe of the Dwarvish Lords may be in a similar vein and should be researched to avoid similarities.

quote:

- The next thing to ask, is when is the adventure going to be set, in the past, the present, or in the future. I think something set in the past, or the present would be appropriate.

I would definately advise for the present day, it would suit many more people, rather than restrict it to certain campaigns or one-off adventures.

quote:

- Next, we would need to address what the adventure will be about. I don't think we should base it on anything similar to CotSQ, perhaps instead placing the Epic adventure during a great period in dwarven history, a great war against the duergar for example, (but obviously not something so simple), I am just extrapolating here.

Ah, ye know what the dwarves are like....anything to do with them is considered "epic"

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2003 :  21:29:38  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
Now, remember, I only have a few of the adventure moduals, and they're in PDF format. I don't really know what's been 'done' before. But how about an epic to do with the sea? I'm not talking about The Threat from the Sea, mind you. I was thinking more along the lines of a sea battle at one point (not as epic as Alexis' idea, rather more sized to a focused adventure) and an exploration of some sunken city, a la Atlantis.

Like you said, just throwing out ideas.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2003 :  00:06:47  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message
I like Bookwyrm's idea. I have always been interested in sea adventures (I should have been a pirate) and exploration. I think you could get really creative with something like that. This setting would make for some interesting monster encounters as well (kraken, sahuagin, locathah, etc).

My access to modules is very limited, too, so sorry if this has been done.

*I have read way too many fantasy novels recently and I may have ideas confused, but do dwarves have a problem with water? You know with sinking?*

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2003 :  01:40:34  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
Well . . . I've always thought of them as very dense (er, displacement-wise! Not an insult! '), and there are certainly a lot of stories out there that say that they have a problem with swiming. However, the Player's Handbook doesn't say anything special on that front. Now, they do swim slower than others, because their base speed is slower. But I don't think that really counts in this case.

Personally, if I were role-playing a dwarf, I'd play him as uncomfortable on boats. Being used to underground life (assuming he's a typical dwarf) he wouldn't have had a lot of chances to practice swimming. I think they would probably learn it, at least to keep their heads above water, but this hypothetical character would certainly not like being away from the ground. (This would also count for tree-climbing, a certain dwarven creation of Sage Salvatore not withstanding.) But then, that's just me.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2003 :  07:35:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
WOW , there's definitely some great ideas buzzing around in here. I'm glad I brought the topic up.

There are some really interesting ways we could go with this campaign. Obviously a few agree that an Epic adventure involving the dwarves is a great idea, while some others believe an adventure involving a grand sea battle, would be the way to go. Perhaps we could convince Alexis Merlin to visit this scroll and helps us with some ideas for development of a sea battle adventure.

I really don't want to make anything definite yet, as it seems that this 'brain-storming' stage still has a way to go. I would however like to see what other suggestions people have, on the two possible adventure ideas that have been presented.

What do the rest of you think - An Epic Dwarven Adventure, or something with a Sea-theme, a great sea-battle or something similar.

Let's hear from you,

Good learning...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2003 :  10:10:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Just another brief flash of an idea I just had -

An epic adventure set against the background of the forging of the Dwarven realms in Faerun. It is similar in theme to what AraznBlair suggested about the reconquering of Mithral Hall.

What do you think?.

Good learning...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2003 :  08:23:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Also, if this project is going to get off the ground, I am going to need some help, so who here among the great and noble scribes is willing to devote some time to getting some things together for this project. We will of course start here, in this very thread.

So if anyone is willing to help just signup here and we will see how we go.

May your learning be free and unfettered

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2003 :  08:26:46  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
Well, I don't think I should sign up -- I have a tendency to over-commit my time. But I'm here if anyone wants my help, and I'll be stopping in from time to time.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2003 :  08:31:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
That's good to hear Bookwyrm, and I'm sure I'll appreciate any insights or suggestions you may have.

Edited by - The Sage on 31 May 2003 08:31:50
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2003 :  17:06:26  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message
You have my time, it will probably increase a bit as JUNE comes along. Let me know what you need. And you can have my help:)

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2003 :  00:17:49  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message
I would love to help, but I have been out of FR for over five years, and have very few resources. I don't know what I could contribute.

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2003 :  02:30:49  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
That actually might be an advantage, Brynweir. Since you and I have both been out of the loop for a while, we might be able put a properly original spin on the story. Mournblade and Sage, plus whomever else joins up, could easily squeeze it into the Realmsverse. Or at least tell us why it wouldn't work.

Edited by - Bookwyrm on 01 Jun 2003 02:58:50
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2003 :  02:52:27  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message
That's true, I didn't think about it like that. I really would like to participate in this project. Thanks for the suggestion, Bookwyrm.

(And Bookwyrm, you may want to light a few more candles at your desk because your handwriting is becoming illegible. I would swear you just penned a reference to me as Bruinwyr instead of Brynweir. No offense. *Don't let them work you too hard.*)

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2003 :  03:00:40  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
Er . . . .

[Bookwyrm casts a quickened erase spell and scribles quickly.]

I don't know what you're talking about, my dear!

Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2003 :  03:07:00  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message
Oh, you're goooood.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2003 :  08:28:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Okay, so the sages and scribes who are definites to help out with this project are as follows -

• Myself
  • Bookwyrm
  • Brynweir
  • Mournblade
That's great, and Mournblade I'm glad you decided to contribute, I would appreciate anything you can provide for this project. And Bookwyrm, Brynweir, even though you both have been 'out-of-the-loop' as you say, I think the perspective you can bring to the project will serve it well. As Bookwyrm said, it could provide an 'original spin', which was exactly the thinking I hoping for from the contributors.

So anything you can provide will be welcome.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'd still maybe like one or two more people for this project, so I'll leave this open for a few more days, maybe until Tuesday or Wednesday, and then if nobody else has replied, we can try and get started.

How does that sound, fellow sages,

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2003 :  22:57:09  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message
Sounds as good as a keg of Guiness...

Which reminds me, my friends and I made beer and the first batch is finally done. We made labels and called it MURDERED MONK. The label has a monk lying on a beach impaled on a sword, and sailing away is... A DRAKKAR!!!

The Vikings will reign again!

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2003 :  01:30:13  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message
Mmmmm....Guiness...excuse me for a moment...<wanders into his kitchen and procures himself some libations (beer)>...better...now what were we talking about? Oh, right beer, tell me have you ever figured out the difference between an ale or a lager? Or is a lager an ale? Or is an ale a lager? Quite a quandry...<takes a big drink>...now what was I saying?

Oh right, Epic Dwarves. It's actually quite amusing that you should bring this up, what with my experience in this area and all. Not too long ago I created a short series of rather "epic" dwarven campaigns. I would be more than willing to offer input on this project, and even contribute, should the free time present itself. Just a couple of thoughts, first, try and leave the gods out of this as much as possible, as that idea has been played for now (Lolth's silence being only the most recent example <cough> Avatar <cough>). Also, the present is a good thing. When creating adventures in the past you are often obliged to comply with the various major historical events outlined, though many only vaugely, in previously published offcial sources. While you do not have to comply with these sources, I like to, simply for continuity's sake. In any case, I will say this Dwarves is a very good choice, however, might I throw this out there, Gnomes. Think about it. I said THINK about it!! DO IT!

Edain Shadowstar
Archwizard of Rel Astra and Waterdeep

"Mmm…pie…"
- Gaius Solarian, Captain General
Go to Top of Page

Herr Doktor
Seeker

52 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2003 :  01:52:43  Show Profile  Visit Herr Doktor's Homepage Send Herr Doktor a Private Message
Greetings,

I am new to the Candlekeep Forums but a regular in the Forgotten Realms General board hosted on Wizards.com, and I am interested in contributing.

I am part of a group on that board whose purpose is to deliver new realms material, and conversions to the people who frequent that particular board. So, I've some limited experience in such on-line collaborating. I'd love to be involved.

----

I believe that the adventure should mostly definetly occur in the present day realms, or the terribly recent past.

Edited by - Herr Doktor on 02 Jun 2003 01:54:50
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2003 :  03:42:10  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Edain Shadowstar

Mmmmm....Guiness...excuse me for a moment...<wanders into his kitchen and procures himself some libations (beer)>...better...now what were we talking about? Oh, right beer, tell me have you ever figured out the difference between an ale or a lager? Or is a lager an ale? Or is an ale a lager? Quite a quandry...<takes a big drink>...now what was I saying?

Oh right, Epic Dwarves. It's actually quite amusing that you should bring this up, what with my experience in this area and all. Not too long ago I created a short series of rather "epic" dwarven campaigns. I would be more than willing to offer input on this project, and even contribute, should the free time present itself. Just a couple of thoughts, first, try and leave the gods out of this as much as possible, as that idea has been played for now (Lolth's silence being only the most recent example <cough> Avatar <cough>). Also, the present is a good thing. When creating adventures in the past you are often obliged to comply with the various major historical events outlined, though many only vaugely, in previously published offcial sources. While you do not have to comply with these sources, I like to, simply for continuity's sake. In any case, I will say this Dwarves is a very good choice, however, might I throw this out there, Gnomes. Think about it. I said THINK about it!! DO IT!

A lager is the lightest of the beer. Typically it is yellow or gold in ccolour. An ale is a bit heavier, usually an amber or brown hue. A stout is a darker beer though not necessarily heavier. I would go more into it, but it is late and I have to organize a presentation on animal phylums. I have a tendency to write freaking dissertations and I am refraining from that now

However I agree with HErr Doktor it should be a present day epic adventure. I would like to see it set no earlier than 1369 DR.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2003 :  10:33:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Okay, this is all great.

Edain, welcome aboard, when we finally get started, I am sure we will appreciate any assistance you can provide. Also welcome to Herr Doktor. Like you I am a regular from the WotC FR boards, so anything you would like to contribute will be just great.

So the items we have covered so far are -

* A dwarven adventure (everybody seems to be in agreement about this)

* It must be set in the relative present (1369DR-to-1372DR)

* No deity influences (I agree whole-heartedly)

* And, alot of sages here drink beer . (Edain and Mournblade )

Okay, in a scroll in the 'General FR Chat' section I made mention of the fact that maybe we should take a vote as to whether this Epic Adventure is run as a Candlekeep 'Adventuring Thread' as first suggested by Brynweir, or it should be created as a table-top campaign as mentioned by Mournblade. Before we begin any real work I think perhaps we should vote. I like both ideas, so I am flexible in the decision that is made.

What do the rest of you think?.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2003 :  10:36:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Also, since I forgot to mention, the open time for joining finishes tommorrow, so if anyone is still wanting to help out, I will still be accepting contributors until the end of the day Tuesday 3rd June 2003, as time is recorded here on the Candlekeep boards. So if your interested join in the fun.

On Wednesday we begin working on the ideas to get a basic premise started for the adventure.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2003 :  10:48:04  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
Wait -- this is exclusive membership? That seems odd to me. Why in such a hurry to close it?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2003 :  11:03:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
It's not so much that I am in a hurry to close the membership, but rather an eagerness to get started.

However if you think I should keep the doors open for a while longer I am willing to entertain suggestions.

Edited by - The Sage on 02 Jun 2003 11:04:21
Go to Top of Page

AraznBlair
Learned Scribe

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2003 :  16:09:54  Show Profile  Visit AraznBlair's Homepage Send AraznBlair a Private Message
Greetings Most Honored Scribes. I have read what each of you have penned and though I did toss out an idea early on, reading what each of you have present has open my heavy eyes to a whole area of oppurtunity. A present day Dwarven epic with out the influence from the Gods is interesting.

I'm not sure what type of help you are looking for Sage but I can contribute creative ideas. In fact just reading these logs today I came up with an idea of a small, Dwarven colony sets out looking for a new mine to call home. These Dwarves could travel to an area of Faraun (sp) that has not been talked about in much detail.

Anyway Sage I offer my feathered pen to your cause if you need it.

Arazn Blair
Fightermage Extrodinare
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2003 :  18:22:01  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message
I just tossed out the idea of running the Epic as a thread in the interest of saving time. I agree that anyone interested in FR should have access, not just members.

I also agree with Bookwyrm that you should keep it open, because you never know when a good idea might strike, and someone who doesn't have one now might think of something later.

(Well, that's my vote)

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2003 :  21:57:44  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message
I was thinking of maybe having the adventure set in the THUNDER PEAKS. (In high school I once had a dwarf I named Dirty Daeg. That way I could sing his war chant... DIRTY DAEG OF THE THUNDER PEAKS, Think AC/DC Dirty Deeds:)

Anyway, Cormyr is really UNDERDONE. I was thinking of maybe having an epic adventure, where the dwarves solve a problem and by doing so bail Cormyr out of some of their problems currently happening. (thunderpeaks are in Cormyr)

Or they solve their problem, gain a position of strenght and offer to help cormyr. Something like that, anyway.

Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2003 :  23:56:50  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Mournblade:

A lager is the lightest of the beer. Typically it is yellow or gold in colour. An ale is a bit heavier, usually an amber or brown hue. A stout is a darker beer though not necessarily heavier.
Always good to know the difference between the different beers out there. However, in case you were unaware that was largely a joke (or an in-joke rather). Needless to say is harkens back to a time when I was a tad inebriated and sitting on a sofa staring blankly at my bottle of beer. I was uniformly confused by the word 'lager' which appeared on my beer, and pondered if it was some kind of arcaic wood-chopping reference. But, I digress...

Actually, I am rather interested in maybe focusing on Gold Dwarves, more so than the more commonly highlighted Shield Dwarves. I seems to me it would make for an interesting idea. It's worth noting that if we were to use Gold Dwarves we would likely be looking at the Great Rift, part of Faerun that as I recall has not been explored as heavily as others in published source material or adventures. Just my idea.

Baring that the Thunder Peaks idea is possessed of good merit, and would be worth taking a look at. However, I actually would prefer to steer away from the cormyr connection. It seems to me that creates a window for getting bogged down in the affairs of humans, not that it wouldn't be effectively interesting.

Edain Shadowstar
Archwizard of Rel Astra and Waterdeep

"Mmm…pie…"
- Gaius Solarian, Captain General
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page