Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 handleing Swimming/drowning
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2007 :  21:49:09  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
ended up in a pretty hard nut to hit yesterday duing my weeking roleplaying session:

1. take a Paladin in Fullplate and heavy steel shield and throw him into a 60 ft. deep water (drowning with what speed ... only stated speed is half speed which would be a ruleshrewup in my opinion)
2. throw two party members (orc barbarian with int 5, due to int drain, actually remembering to get off his armor (taking 5 rounds), and a elven scout with no armor at all but a lousy 7 in con). 3. what would be the logical rules for fishin the human anchor up again? ... we ended up with makeswift rules interacting into other makeswift rules interacting into other makeswift rules. This makes a difficult mixture thats hard to get heads and tails at. Any one got an idea about how to handle it?

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

515 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2007 :  22:55:09  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well your Paladin buddy has a con of at least 10 he has at least 2 minutes before he starts drowning as long as he doesn't do anything but move. It would take him 6 rounds to swim out of the 60' depth if he could make all his swim checks, DC 10 if its calm water, which I would assume is doubtful and why others jumped in.

Even with a Con of 7 if the elves got 14 rounds. If his base speed is 30' he can move 15' in water so it would take 4 rounds down 4 rounds up, but on the way up since he wouldn't only be moving but also pulling something along I would say he'd be losing a round each of them so still he would be at 12 out of 14. How to actually move the paladin I would say the swing check would be 1.5x what it should be so DC 15 in still water or 30 in stormy water. It's easier to move something underwater plus the paladin would be assumed to be helping. You could let the paladin make an assistance check but if he could make that the he probably could make the swim check to start with.

That's how I would run it.

As a side note:

I don't know what the scenario you had was but I had a similar one lately and instead of swimming the cleric in fullplate just walked across the river bed and up and out the other side. I ruled that since he wasn't swimming but walking in water, he would only need to make a Strength check not a swim check each round and of course he would move at half speed. Seemed fair to me.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2007 :  07:54:01  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gelcur

As a side note:

I don't know what the scenario you had was but I had a similar one lately and instead of swimming the cleric in fullplate just walked across the river bed and up and out the other side. I ruled that since he wasn't swimming but walking in water, he would only need to make a Strength check not a swim check each round and of course he would move at half speed. Seemed fair to me.

Ha! Makes me think: Pirates of the Caribeans, anyone........?! However, sounds fair to me as well.

(The rules discription above is excellent, IMO).

Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2007 :  12:59:56  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If the paladin was an aventi, he wouldn't have to worry about that!(jk)

The brave don't live forever,the cautious don't live at all
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2007 :  13:50:33  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gelcur

Well your Paladin buddy has a con of at least 10 he has at least 2 minutes before he starts drowning as long as he doesn't do anything but move. It would take him 6 rounds to swim out of the 60' depth if he could make all his swim checks, DC 10 if its calm water, which I would assume is doubtful and why others jumped in.

Even with a Con of 7 if the elves got 14 rounds. If his base speed is 30' he can move 15' in water so it would take 4 rounds down 4 rounds up, but on the way up since he wouldn't only be moving but also pulling something along I would say he'd be losing a round each of them so still he would be at 12 out of 14. How to actually move the paladin I would say the swing check would be 1.5x what it should be so DC 15 in still water or 30 in stormy water. It's easier to move something underwater plus the paladin would be assumed to be helping. You could let the paladin make an assistance check but if he could make that the he probably could make the swim check to start with.

That's how I would run it.

well ... your wrong in at least one thing ... you can keep your breath for a equal time of Constitution score ... not twice ... making more than move action is twice as taxing in that acount
and the waters is clam ... problem is that the Paladin have his mwk Fullplate on (which gives a whooping -10 in swim checks)

Mod edit: Unnecessary personal attack removed. If you have a beef with someone, either discuss it with a mod or take it to PM. Don't publicly bash each other.

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 12 Nov 2007 15:46:05
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

515 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2007 :  18:01:06  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Uhm if my post came off as insulting in any way I am sorry it was not meant to be.

I think I took into account making movement only actions in my answer. The elf when hauling the paladin up is using up 4 rounds of breathing and removing 4 because he is performing a strenuous activity. The rest of the time moving down to him, sitting there waiting to be rescued do not kill extra rounds of breathing. But maybe I may be wrong. This is just how I would have ran it.

Edit: I did find a mistake. It would take the elf 8 rounds down and 8 rounds back moving at 1/4 his speed. Which would require him to make 2 Con checks.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.

Edited by - Gelcur on 12 Nov 2007 18:10:47
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000