Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Shackled City AP in Waterdeep ?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1412 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2007 :  10:00:54  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have been wondering if the Shackled City AP would find a place in Waterdeep?

I think it would be a good opportunity to run an entire campaign in the city with a great adventure path. So far, I've only briefly looked through the 1st adventure, 'Life's Bazaar' and already I'm thinking about the beholder from the Skullport thieves guild (can recall his name right now, not very familiar with the region)

Any ideas, suggestions or opinions about the feasibility of adapting this into Waterdeep?

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2007 :  14:18:30  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It sorta depends on the importance of Waterdeep to your version of the Realms. I don't want to spoil things for anyone who hasn't played the module yet, so reveal the hidden message below if you want to know more:

About 3/4ths of the way through the Shackled City module, the city is destroyed by a volcano and the population is scattered to the four winds. According to the notes in the adventure, the city doesn't recover. So, if you're willing to destroy Waterdeep in your version of the Realms, go right ahead. Personally, I kinda like to keep Waterdeep around in my Realms, so I plan on using a different city.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2007 :  05:21:52  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hallidan makes a good point. From what I've seen at Paizo, they placed "Cauldron" in Thindol along the Chultan Penninsula.

For my game, I set it on the Delphin Mountains in the far eastern edge of the Tashalar, near the Monastery to Selune & the lost city of Procalith. This allows for the proper terrains, adds some intrigue (snakes are quite un-welcome), and opens up opportunities to play characters from less popular regions in Fearun (I happen to LIKE that part of Faerun, btw).

I have more recommendations if you choose this path, just let me know.

/d

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2007 :  21:51:17  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
by the way ... Tashalar is morphing into Sasserine which get some mentions in Age of worms and Savage tide (and a few one shot scenarios)

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2007 :  00:45:18  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sian

by the way ... Tashalar is morphing into Sasserine which get some mentions in Age of worms and Savage tide (and a few one shot scenarios)

Well, that is another detail that makes putting Cauldron in the Tashalar region a happy thought. Although, as you pointed to the other two adventure paths, I think the Age of Worms happens in Waterdeep, with hints at Sasserine (Tashulta).

Anyhoo, If you decide that Waterdeep is worth the risks involved in the AP, then I strongly recommend revamping some of the later chapters.

Thanks
/d

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1412 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2007 :  05:22:42  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I've already looked through the first two adventures; 'Life's Bazaar' and 'Flood Season' and are looking into several problems (including the ones mentioned above).

Spoilers below

First of all, I have no qualms of blowing up Waterdeep since I had originally intended to run this adventure path but only wanted to find a suitable place for it in Faerun. It is meant to be a one-off campaign set in Waterdeep, so if I am going to run another campaign with Waterdeep in it, i could make it pristinely untouched in that campaign. Even if i was going to use the AP to ruin Waterdeep, I think I would do some damage control and only destroy a ward instead of the whole city...

Making the slaver from the Xanathar guild seems like a good option with the dark creepers and skulks as members of the Hand, under Colstan Rhuul, and the appearance of the Eye with Avaereene fits the last encounter of 'Life's Bazaar'

The whole idea of 'Flood Season' is stumped for me, does Waterdeep have any danger of flooding? Maybe if i changed it with the festival of Auril's Blesstide...and naked people jumping into icy waters...

Changing the church of St. Cuhbert to Tyr is a pretty easy choice, but killing the high priest when he hasn't even made an appearance in 'Flood Season' seems a little harsh on the old guy...also i'm not sure where to place a out-of-town inn like the Lucky Monkey (this name will be changed of course, Sleeping Dragon?, there was a mention of that in the CoS:W web enhancement, but it's heavily guarded and takes at least 3 days while in the AP it should only take less than one) outside the walls of Waterdeep, am thinking of somewhere within the wards that are closer to the city gates instead

Should the Striders of Fharlanghn be the Harpers? or the Moonstars? or any other organization that you could suggest?

I'm also not sure about placing the Jzadirune enclave, Undermountain seemed like an obvious choice but on which level? This is followed by the kuo-ta temple in the third adventure, 'Zenith Trajectory', it looks like the background suits as having Zenith to be a descendant of the Melairbode, trying to reclaim his ancestral mines in Undermountain, but is there a kuo-ta presence there? i'm playing with the idea of Sahuagin's instead, but that puts the whole adventure underwater near the Harbor ward...

Would love to hear everyone's feedback on this, fellow sages and dungeon grandmasters

I didn't know that all the adventure paths were related in the same region so the suggestion of Tashalar looks interesting, but i'm not sure if i have enough material in that region to work with. Darkmeer, would you mind posting your suggestions here or PMing them to me? My email is gm_quest(at)hotmail(dot)com. Thanks aplenty wisen ones

Edited by - questing gm on 12 Nov 2007 06:15:57
Go to Top of Page

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2007 :  16:40:11  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Umm, have a couple of waterdeep ideas for you, spoilers (of course)

Recalling that the kuo-toa are "far away" would imply a portal from lost Jzadirune. Jzadirune, as far as being in undermountain, is a great idea. Anywhere you wanted to place it would certainly be fine, and the "spellplague" that went through there would be the precursor of things to come if you are following what happens in the Grand History and 4th edition changes. Now, as to the Kuo Toa that I'd like to address, I thing Sahuagin would be a great idea, perhaps allied with the Kuo-Toa? I think a portal or a tunnel into the underdark, which waterdeep has plenty of entrances, leading to a section that has the wretched creatures.

I hope this helps
/d

Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1412 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2007 :  09:26:25  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In regards to some of the ideas given by Darkmeer, with a complimentary spoiler;

I've solved my problem for placing the kuo-tas and their temple for 'Zenith Trajectory', since there is mention of a kuo-ta ferryman in the adventure, the temple would be placed in some unknown location along the edges of the Darklake. Since there is kuo-ta are serving as ferrymen on th lake and the origins of the kuo-ta has been unknown at this ponit, I think the temple would be a secret hideout, only the kuo-ta ferrymen knows about which makes it suitable for it to be placed there.

As for Jzardirune, i think using the upcoming Spellplague as an explanation for the Vanishing sounds like a good idea but the enclave was abandonned for 75 years, so I'm not sure if it's chronologically consistent. On the other hand, I was thinking of replacing the enclave with a section of the sewers leading to the elevator that takes them either down to the Dungeon/Storage level of Undermountain or Skullport to Malachite Fortress...
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2007 :  11:04:00  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Just looking at the two posts above, for those who aren't aware, this forum now supports the SPOILER tag. So there's no need to try and set the text color to beige, or similiar color. Simply coding {spoiler} insert text here {/spoiler} (replace {} with [], of course) will do this for you

(above posts have been edited for this)

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2007 :  13:54:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Well met

Just looking at the two posts above, for those who aren't aware, this forum now supports the SPOILER tag. So there's no need to try and set the text color to beige, or similiar color. Simply coding {spoiler} insert text here {/spoiler} (replace {} with [], of course) will do this for you

A button to do this, kinda like we have for bolding and quoting and whatnot, would be good.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 13 Nov 2007 13:55:15
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2007 :  15:26:20  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Well met

Heh! Big Al´s buying special pens and inks for us to work in the Keep!

Why I´m with a strange feeling that this means that he will ask something dangerous to us very soon?

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2007 :  21:20:19  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
MY PLAYERS: DO NOT EVEN THINK OF READING THIS!

I hope to tie the Shackled City path to Solon in 1360. There is already an old 3 module series about Solon's volcanic destruction in 1360, and I am adapting it (with some difficulty) to a post-Yamun Khahan campaign. I figure that since it's a city which is (canonically) volcanically destroyed, I may as well apply the Shackled City path to Solon. This means that the PCs can't save the city, no matter what they do, unless one is willing to alter the canonical timeline of the Unapproachable East. Having already killed Yamun Khahan, however, much of the AD&D modules' set-up has been destroyed for me, so I am having to improvise. I think that tying in a few Shackled City adventures will help to hold everything together.

If your campaign is already past the Crusade of 1360, have you considered having the adventure path unfold in the volcanic area around Neverwinter, instead of Waterdeep, which doesn't have any vulcanism, at least as far as I know?

Oooh, this {spoiler} thing is kewl....

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Edited by - Jamallo Kreen on 13 Nov 2007 21:24:21
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000