Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Neversfall: Chapters 11 - 15
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2007 :  15:54:16  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for Neversfall (Book 1 of the Citadels series), by Ed Gentry. Please discuss chapters 11 - 15 herein.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2007 :  01:15:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At the request of the Red Walker:-
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:
Originally posted by EdGentry

Ahh...any time a character elicits any strong feeling is a satisfying moment for a writer. Thank you for that, RW. I'm glad you hate him.

He makes it easy, like it appears he is sending Taennen to die on the scouting mission led by Bascau. (even though he is a shadowy type I smile everytime I read his name, I feel his name is pronounced bas-cow but in my head I hear Bosco and think of that episode of seinfeld focused on that chocolatey concoction)
It seems fairly certain that these new hired soldiers have a hidden cache of barbarian oufits hidden somewhere close, but I could be wrong. But it feels like Bascau is leaving all his men behind for something sinister.

quote:
Originally posted by EdGentry

To not spoil your enjoyment I will neither confirm nor deny any of your hypotheses. But please keep up the comments. Hearing a reader's thought processes helps a lot!

Oh, for what it's worth, I pronounce it 'Bass-koo' (short a sound like the fish).

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2007 :  14:40:09  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed, something was bothering me about your story, but I decided to wait until I finished it to bring it up. Godd thing I waited as you took care of it rather nicely! I felt you were underutilizing Marlke.
He had the potential to be a very interesting caharacter in a story "full of humans" so to speak. I now see why you did, he was your trump card! Jhoqo is still a SOB, but Marlke was the one getting his hands dirty. Nice twist my friend. If he were more used it would have been very hard for you to hide this from us this long.
Now that Jhoqo has subdued Adeenya and Lied to his son Taennea again by tell him she was one of the traitors, I am very curious to see how she gets out of this sticky situation. Will the spark of commradery she ignited in Taen be fanned by Jhoqo's unusual behavior or will he slip back into the comfort of totally trusting Jhoqo?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

EdGentry
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2007 :  15:56:32  Show Profile  Visit EdGentry's Homepage Send EdGentry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
RW, I'm glad the Marlke twist worked for you. Writing his final scene was a ton of fun. I'm not sure what it says about me that I so enjoyed writing a scene with a man dying horribly and not-so-quickly, but there it is, heh.

Your question about Taennen is really what the story has been leading up to and, in a lot of ways, is the point of the book. I hope it doesn't disappoint.

Thank you very much for continuing to post your thoughts and play-by-play interpretations as you go.

http://www.edgentry.com
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2008 :  00:07:59  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was interesting seeing a dwarf that highlighted the "greed" side of dwarves instead of the "steadfast warrior" side of them. While Marlke doesn't quite fit my desire to see a true dwarven villain sometime, he's a lot closer to that concept than other dwarves I've seen (not that I want all dwarves to be evil money grubbing villains, but often the greedy part seems to get forgotten while portraying their positive or comedic traits).
Go to Top of Page

EdGentry
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2008 :  04:52:16  Show Profile  Visit EdGentry's Homepage Send EdGentry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I LOVED making the non-typical dwarf. I'm really pleased you enjoyed it too.

http://www.edgentry.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000