Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Welcome to Candlekeep
 Well Met, and Welcome to the Forums
 Getting started
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2003 :  17:26:37  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was heavily into AD&D in college, but then our DM discovered GURPS. We left D&D and went straight into Star Wars. It has been almost five years since I have participated in any serious RP of any kind and I sorely miss it. Therefore I have two questions. One, where should I begin in order to get caught up on FR lore? (mind you, I am a teacher and have no money). Two, is there anywhere online to participate in an ongoing role-play? I know no one anywhere near where I live who has an unbiased opinion of RPG and the few who are into "games" are too unusual for me to be around for very long. All the people I used to run with live out of state, and most are "too busy" in their RL to get back into RP. I have been reading several posts here at Candlekeep and many of you seem to be very friendly and helpful, as well as highly creative and resourceful. I was hoping to become more involved. (I have very little time to actually spend "with" a role-playing group, but I thought if it were online I might be able to participate.)

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Artalis
Senior Scribe

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2003 :  18:52:57  Show Profile Send Artalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you have a broadband connection, contact me offboard and I'll see if I can help you out.

Artalis

Email

Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2003 :  20:12:21  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, no such luck. Though I hope to switch to broadband soon.

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2003 :  01:51:13  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had the same problem when he offerred me the same thing. He's got some files he's kind enough to share, should you look pathetic enough. (I know I must have! ) Some of them are small enough for us snails. However, he was really nice and sent me some CDs. If you grovel enough he might be as nice to you.

Then again, he mentioned something to be about passing the favor along. Perhaps I should take this one instead?

As for the online playing, there're some Play-By-E-Mail games. I'm in Mumadar's Silver Marches game now (I just started). Not knowing how a table-top game goes, I can't say if it's any different from what you used to know. However, since Mumadar is heavy on roleplaying rather than action, it's a lot like a round robin so far -- except that we each take characters instead of chapters.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.

Edited by - Bookwyrm on 26 May 2003 03:43:21
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2003 :  16:12:31  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is a relief to find most people on here to be so helpful. I would be interested in taking a look at playing by e-mail, as well, do you have a site I can check out? or an e-mail address I should send my queries to?
Artalis and Bookwyrm, thank you both.

Go to Top of Page

Elrond Half Elven
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2003 :  23:12:01  Show Profile  Visit Elrond Half Elven's Homepage Send Elrond Half Elven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hail Brynweir,
Welcome to Candlekeep. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Hanx
Elrond.

Once upon a midnight dreary, while i pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore-
While i nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
-The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2003 :  04:48:22  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes indeed, welcome Brynweir.

If you have any FR queries feel free to send them my way. Let's just say that my contacts for information are ... impressive.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2003 :  10:01:23  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, he's practically a Master Harper.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2003 :  10:46:33  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Yes indeed, welcome Brynweir.

If you have any FR queries feel free to send them my way. Let's just say that my contacts for information are ... impressive.

-- George Krashos

Hmmm, cant seem to find a smiley icon for "envy"

::imagining George sitting overlooking the lake at Ed Greenwoods place, drinking coffee and eating bagels whilst disgussing the Realms::

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2003 :  10:49:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder whether George has one of Elminster's prized Eversmoking Pipes like I do .

Good learning...

- The Sage of Perth: For all your Realms Lore needs

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2003 :  01:45:05  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I do have a standing invitation to "pop in" from Ed, but as I live in Australia ... of course I have an aunt who lives in Toronto and I do intend to visit. So maybe one day.

And no, I don't have one of his pipes, which is probably a good thing as I don't smoke.

Also, you'll all be pleased to know that Ed has been renovating. The work is nearly done and he's been slowly organising "stuff". In other words, he's been peeking through the 'boxes in the basement'. He dug up a loyalty oath for Cormyr for the Realms-L the other day so who knows what avalanche of realmslore is on the horizon - here's hoping.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2003 :  07:36:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WOW, that sounds great. I guess I should check the Realms-L. I haven't been there for two weeks.

May your learning be free and unfettered

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000