Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 3.5 Edition Feat Idea; Tell me what you think
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2024 :  03:26:57  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
This is one idea I had for a feat. Let me know what you think.

Eyes of Tyr

You have sacrificed your eyes to Tyr, the Even-Handed, proving your dedication to the pursuit of justice. Most who take this feat wrap their eyes in a blindfold made of an opaque cloth. Others simply keep their eyes closed at all times. Others have been born blind, lost their eyesight in battle, or suffered blindness due to age-related issues with their eyes or a debilitating disease. No accounts have arisen of those who have voluntarily blinded themselves, however, and the faith of Tyr does not actively encourage such mutilation.
Prerequisites: Patron Tyr, alignment Lawful good, Blind-Fight feat, ability to turn undead.
Benefit: As long as you refrain from using your eyesight, you gain Blindsense in a 60 ft cone in front of you. Since you are not relying on your sight, you are immune to blinding effects, illusion spells or effects that rely on eyesight, and gaze attacks.
Since you are not utilizing your eyesight, you cannot use this to read things like books, scrolls or other forms of written communication. You also automatically fail at Spot checks since you cannot see.
Special: If you have this feat and also have the Hand of Tyr feat (CoS: Waterdeep), you instead gain Blindsight in the same radius as Blindsense. Your bonuses from the Hand of Tyr feat also increase to +2 instead of +1.
Special: If you violate your oaths and use your eyesight for any purpose, you lose the benefits of this feat until you perform a rite of purification in a shrine or temple of Tyr, which requires 24 hours of vigil and prayer.

Not sure if this works quite well. It's a work in progress.

Galuf's Baldur's Gate NPC stats: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8823
Galuf's 3.5 Ed. Cleric Domains: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14036
Galuf's Homebrew 4th Edition Races: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13787
Galuf's Homebrew Specialty Priest PrCs: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14353
Galuf's Forgotten Realms Heralds and Allies thread: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8766

bloodtide_the_red
Learned Scribe

USA
301 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2024 :  04:59:02  Show Profile  Visit bloodtide_the_red's Homepage Send bloodtide_the_red a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd say the feat is fine....use no sight and get blindsense/blindsight. That is a fairly standard feat. Remember to add the [Oath] type. Switch out the requirement of 'turn undead' for the 'Scared Oath' feat. This really does not need to be a "cleric only" type feat. A paladin Eyes of Tyr seems to make sense.

But....

Having a "Eyes of Tyr" feat that just gives blindsense/blindsight and immune to some attacks is a bit of a low bar. Just 'common' types of sight you can get plenty of other ways in the rules. If your going to do Eyes of Tyr....why not make it more Divine Of Tyrs ethos?
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2024 :  05:06:40  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It reminds me of a Cleric Domain I saw in 5e that was about Justice being blind destroying your eyes. Instead, it gives you Blindsense. I like that it couples with Hand of Tyr (I had a Cleric grab that and it was a lot of fun).

Overall, there's give and take but it's very interesting.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000