Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Forgotten Realms heads of faith
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

redking
Learned Scribe

141 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2024 :  08:41:13  Show Profile Send redking a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Do we have a list of heads of faith in the realms?

By this, I mean spiritual leaders, and temporal leaders that lead a faith. A spiritual leader leads the faith like the Pope. A temporal leader leads the faith like the prophet Muhammad or the prophet Joseph Smith. These leaders could also be unrecognised heretics in a faith with an existing head of faith, or faiths without a head of faith.

Any thoughts?

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
969 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2024 :  18:28:11  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most of the faiths are not so centralized. If you go through the 3 2E god books, you'll find a few that are and that list their leaders at the time, but not many. For example, High Priest Barriltar Bhandraddon of Torm in Tantras during at least late 2E. With the rise of Thultanthar in the 3E era, the shade Rivalen Tanthul of Shar appears to become the head of her church most of Faerun wide.

As for prophets, the only one, arguably, that comes to mind is that late 3.5E era Sunlord Daelegoth Orndeir of Amaunator from Power of Faerun, who was signalling the reemergence of Amaunator and a schism within Lathander's faith. That said, there are the various Chosen of the gods, many of whom have acted like prophets: https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Chosen
Go to Top of Page

redking
Learned Scribe

141 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2024 :  12:48:51  Show Profile Send redking a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I recall my 2E lore correctly, were not Fzoul and the High Imperceptor of Bane in Mulmuster (or was it somewhere else?) competing for head of faith?
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

514 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2024 :  17:05:59  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed recently posted some religious curses on Twitter and it was transcribed here at Candlekeep. Many of the curses contained names of religious figures. You figure anyone who was synonymous with a religion enough to have their name cursed probably had a decent amount of sway in that religion.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta

USA
969 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2024 :  21:16:13  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by redking

If I recall my 2E lore correctly, were not Fzoul and the High Imperceptor of Bane in Mulmuster (or was it somewhere else?) competing for head of faith?

Arguably yes, that's another of the few examples, at least during the 1E and early 2E era, yes, but only really in the Moonsea region, and to some extent in the Lake of Steam region, beyond that, it's not clear that either had the reach. Of course, that all changed with the death of Bane and fall of Zhentil Keep, among other events.

Edited by - TomCosta on 14 Jul 2024 21:17:31
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11798 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2024 :  15:02:37  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd probably stress that generally only the most organized, and thereby lawful, religions would probably have Heads of Faith. So, even though someone like Rivalen Tanthul was "the head of the Church of Shar", I'd be hard pressed to believe that his hold was more than tenuous. I'd be hard pressed to even believe that just because a religion is lawful that it would also be this structured mind you (so for instance, I can see it with Tyr and Torm, but I'd bet Ilmater is more focused on doing good than following a rigid hierarchal structure).

Amongst the Faerunian pantheon, off the top of my head, I can see about a handful of religions falling into this category

Bane
Tyr
Torm
Asmodeus
Amaunator
Red Knight (to make sure that tactically they relay information about ongoing wars and how it affects their religion, so that they are not abused by their clients)
Bahamut

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 15 Jul 2024 16:53:38
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
913 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2024 :  19:00:02  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wasn't Daramos Lauthyr trying to make all Tymoran temples report to Arabel?
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta

USA
969 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2024 :  21:01:33  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That sounds right, key word being "try."
Go to Top of Page

Giant Snake
Seeker

74 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2024 :  12:51:48  Show Profile Send Giant Snake a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think of Bane as the default for any evil cleric who gets an army and decides he wants to try and conquer all. I’m sure this happens once a generation or more in every major zone.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2024 :  05:02:22  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Related kind of, one thing I always wanted and we never really got was some kind of nice list with holy books of different faiths.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2024 :  10:53:39  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
2E Forgotten Realms Adventures named the "Patriarchs" of some faiths.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11798 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2024 :  14:06:26  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-Related kind of, one thing I always wanted and we never really got was some kind of nice list with holy books of different faiths.

On this idea... and this very much spreads this off topic, so sorry.... I know at one point someone here was talking about wanting a "library list" of sorts to hand out for a powerful mage in the Untheric region to a party.

I very much think a good DM's Guild product specific to the Forgotten Realms could be simply this... a book list. Now I'm not saying specifically a "listing of holy books" or "a listing of history books" or a "listing of spellbooks", etc...

With that in mind, from a metagame perspective... and again, sorry for derailing... it might be interesting to develop what "columns" someone might want to track in terms of each book. What do I mean by that? I think it best to give a quick example, and people can quickly reply with additions that might be both useful and "not hard to define/use"

So, here goes

Title

Author

Year Published in Dalereckoning

Category of book (examples, regional history, spellbook, holy text, magical theory, nature lore, monster lore, mundane crafting guide, alchemical text, symbology & vestige lore, warlock magic lore, administrative text, art collection, weapon and/or armor magic item creation guide, general magic item creation guide, ..... probably a dozen more we can come up with)

Region of Realms in which Produced (example, Bloodstone Lands or a specific city)

Region Last Found in (i.e. where was this book last found.... doesn't mean its still there)

Last Owner (If Known)

Game Notes: (this would be a generic field in which someone could list spells, make a note that this book gives some bonus, make some notes about what the book is about, etc... preferably short, with a note like "see specific book notes for detailed explanation" if someone wants to develop a spellbook, etc.. like Ed used to do in the old grey box and other sources.)

Any other pertinent fields?

I mention this all because this would make a great DM's guild product to make and distribute for "pay what you want", and I think it could inspire lots of other information building (whether it be someone taking an author name and building a whole history about the author, or taking a title and deciding to vet the whole history, or taking the notes on a spell name listed and developing the spell, etc...).

And being as I just wrote all this up here.... I think I'll actually start another topic for this goal. Please reply there if you'd like to discuss this.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 26 Jul 2024 14:12:31
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000