Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Poison Neutralizing Animal
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

514 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2024 :  04:41:38  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I remember an animal in the Realms that would burrow into you causing horrible pain but would naturally "neutralize" any poison by consuming it.

Think it's one of Ed's but I'm having trouble finding the source. Any help would be appreciated.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
766 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2024 :  04:05:23  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Except for the "horrible pain" part it sounds like the Peltast, from the Ruins of Undermountain box.

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
913 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2024 :  00:55:58  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps getting gored by a unicorn horn would fit this description.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11798 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2024 :  16:33:28  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, thanks for the subject line as it hit with something I was thinking about last night... and it seems Delnyn was thinking similarly.

What was the idea? For some reason, I hit upon the idea of a reindeer that teleports short jumps.... which just sounds like a unicorn of a different flavor. I was trying to think of some things to set it apart. So, here's the rough idea that's now in my head.

The creature will be in Anchorome as a new breed of deer. It will be known as a "Blink Doe" to some and a "Coldhart" to others ... yes, an obvious similarity to a blink dog in name

General idea:

White furred female deer that are born amongst regular herds and act as protectors of their herds (and very much friendly towards shatjan). They possess what appear to be illusory horns that are limned in light, but not "there". In roles they somewhat resemble weaker versions of unicorns, with magical abilities that deal with radiant energy/light, illusions, minor healing/purifying/nature effects, wind/cold effects, and some magic to aid their movement (misty step, longstrider, water walk, etc..) ... but it also wouldn't be surprising to find a large herd of reindeer with maybe a dozen of these in it. A big difference is that unicorns tend to have less spellcasting, but much more powerful effects, and the things that this can do in the form of healing is just curing poisons, making goodberries, and purifying food and drink.

All are female births. Males that are birthed from "blink doe" become regular deer, but they can father new "blink doe". Females that are birthed from "blink doe" universally become new "blink doe". Their fur is universally white, and all documented cases are born in cold territories, and almost all are believed to be born during the winter months only. Blink doe, unlike normal doe, have antlers... but these antlers are "incorporeal" in nature and surrounded by an illusory white glow. The touch of their antlers on mortal flesh is said to remove or delay poison effects (if additional save succeeds, it removes the poison, otherwise it delays poison effects by X hours), as the antlers appear to "pierce" this flesh without actually damaging it. They may perform a misty step spell up to three times before requiring a short rest to get one additional use, or a long rest to get all uses back. The touch of their antlers on incorporeal undead or corporeal undead in gaseous form (such as vampires) is particularly damaging as radiant energy damage, but if these undead are also vulnerable to sunlight this damage is doubled.

They can activate a few magical effects as if they are 5th level sorcerers with a Charisma of 18. When attacking with their hooves, they can enact a cantrip similar to "green-flame blade" but with "lavender" flames and inflicting cold damage instead of fire. They can also cast the druidcraft cantrip, light cantrip, frostbite cantrip (see Elemental Evil Players Companion) and use 5 1st level spells a day from amongst goodberry, longstrider, speak with animals, and purify food and drink, use 3 2nd level spells from amongst mirror image, snilloc's snowball swarm, and warding wind, and use 2 3rd level spells from amongst hypnotic pattern and water walk.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

514 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2024 :  21:37:23  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not a Peltast, but an interesting creature.

I vaguely remember some more details, some NPC kept specimens in a garden to have access to them. I feel like it was an insect of some sort and that the pain was a burning. Maybe it laid eggs in the victim.

I'm sure one of these days I will stumble on it again.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000