Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Drizzt for kids?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ranak Posted - 23 Aug 2008 : 07:02:18
I just noticed that Wizard is publishing "A story set in the Forgotten Realms" by RA Salvatore and son called "The Stowaway."

This novel is aimed 10-12 year olds, features Drizzt, and is just about the oddest thing I have ever seen to come out of Wizards.

http://ww2.wizards.com/books/Wizards/Products/?doc=239607200

Geno Salvatore? Let's hope Geno can write.

No Forgotten Realms logo, I guess they are keeping the kids books separate.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Ranak Posted - 06 Oct 2008 : 22:06:12
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Skiff

I just finished reading the whole book, and I really enjoyed it. It didn't read like a 'kids' book, other than the large print.

Silly Rabbit, Drizzt is for kids.
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 06 Oct 2008 : 14:46:36
quote:
Originally posted by Pandora

I cant help it, but the guy on the cover looks just like Elijah Wood / Frodo in the Lord of the Rings movies when you magnify him like they are doing on the Wizards homepage atm.

Probably NOT a coincidence.
Pandora Posted - 06 Oct 2008 : 08:33:13
I cant help it, but the guy on the cover looks just like Elijah Wood / Frodo in the Lord of the Rings movies when you magnify him like they are doing on the Wizards homepage atm.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 26 Sep 2008 : 23:41:57
I picked the book up, myself. I figured, why the heck not? It'll be a quick read, and it's pre-Spellplague.
Lord Skiff Posted - 25 Sep 2008 : 22:29:10
I just finished reading the whole book, and I really enjoyed it. It didn't read like a 'kids' book, other than the large print. It wasn't condescending to its audience, and I got sucked into it right away. I definitely think Geno has inherited his dad's creative gifts, no doubt about it. I don't know if his dad is grooming him to take over the Dark Elf series, but if that's the case, he's certainly made a fan out of me.

I also read Geno's short story in the SPOOKS graphic novel, and if you had told me his dad wrote it I would have believed you. If you did military horror/ fantasy, and are curious about Geno's writing, it's really well done.

As for The Stowaway, it was a fun read and the pacing was great, the characters were compelling, and I thought he did a good job with the first person storytelling (which can be tough to pull off). I'll definitely stick with the series. Also, from the sample I saw of The Pirate King, the protagonist is in that book as well, which is pretty cool.

So, big thumbs up from me.
Diocletian Posted - 22 Sep 2008 : 19:51:03
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:
Originally posted by Diocletian

Yeah I know, but it's not the sort of name you'd find in a book aimed squarely at a gritty adult market. It appeals to all ages.

Actually, I'd say that the Drizzt books are meant to appeal to people of all ages, youngsters in particular. I've never seen those books as being particularly "gritty", and I don't think they were meant to be.

Yeah, that was exactly my point. I don't think a "Drizzt for Kids" book would work, as they can already be enjoyed by kids. Watering them down any further would make them pretty much unreadable except for the very youngest of readers.
I DO believe there's a market for more adult themed fantasy books though, in the same way Batman has stories from both ends of the spectrum (the kids cartoon vs something like The Killing Joke). I'd love to read more adult oriented Forgotten Realms books, and I'm not talking Mills and Boon type adult, I'm talking in particular about books like the one I mentioned before - "Monument" by Ian Graham.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 22 Sep 2008 : 14:50:30
quote:

Yeah I know, but it's not the sort of name you'd find in a book aimed squarely at a gritty adult market. It appeals to all ages.

Actually, I'd say that the Drizzt books are meant to appeal to people of all ages, youngsters in particular. I've never seen those books as being particularly "gritty", and I don't think they were meant to be.
Diocletian Posted - 22 Sep 2008 : 07:35:17
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:
Phrases like "Poor Clacker," can be well understood by children. I mean, "Clacker" as a name?

Well, it's pretty fitting for that particular character.

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 22 Sep 2008 : 01:55:44
quote:
Phrases like "Poor Clacker," can be well understood by children. I mean, "Clacker" as a name?

Well, it's pretty fitting for that particular character.
Diocletian Posted - 21 Sep 2008 : 19:29:37
Hi all, I registered just to reply to this thread.
Why would there be a need to do fantasy books for children? I read my first fantasy novels as a child (Shannara, LOTR, Crystal Shard, Dragonlance). The only one of those that would be challenging for an intelligent child is LOTR, and that would mainly be due to the sheer scope of the story.
I'm re-reading the Drizzt books and I find them to be written in a very childish manner - not saying it's a bad thing, I'm thoroughly enjoying them - but the language used is very immature. Phrases like "Poor Clacker," can be well understood by children. I mean, "Clacker" as a name?
Yes they're pretty violent these books, but they're not in the slightest bit hard to understand - children of average intelligence will find these books a great read.
I can't imagine how awful a "children's version" of something like "Homeland" would be. My 11 month old daughter would presumably be the target audience.
The Red Walker Posted - 12 Sep 2008 : 00:11:00
quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

Salvatores pére et frére will be in town for a signing tomorrow night. I'm looking forward to it.

It might be very nice to have both sign, if this book sells well I would assume Geno will do the series by himself, since pop tends to be kinda busy Hard telling if they will write together again.
Christopher_Rowe Posted - 11 Sep 2008 : 22:32:17
Salvatores pére et frére will be in town for a signing tomorrow night. I'm looking forward to it.
Karzak Posted - 11 Sep 2008 : 22:13:58
quote:
Originally posted by Ranak

I am sad to report that the book is almost entirely in first person. I, I, I, I, I, a style that I don't particularly like.

Of course I guess it could grow on me, after getting through the first 100 pages of Stoker's Dracula I was quite drawn into the story.

First person can be done well, and I suspect Stoker was a much better and more literate writer than Geno Salvatore will ever be.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 11 Sep 2008 : 15:48:14
If the book really is pre-Spellplague, then to me, that's a mark in the book's favor.
Ranak Posted - 11 Sep 2008 : 08:12:17
I checked it out in the book store today.

I am sad to report that the book is almost entirely in first person. I, I, I, I, I, a style that I don't particularly like.

Of course I guess it could grow on me, after getting through the first 100 pages of Stoker's Dracula I was quite drawn into the story.
hawkytom Posted - 08 Sep 2008 : 17:59:31
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

Yes, Geno Salvatore does have an advantage starting out, a fact that seems to irritate some of the denizens of Candlekeep. But I think the disadvantages of having a famous father will soon balance the initial boost. And ultimately, he will succeed or fail on his own merits.

As for me, I wish him all the best.

100% agree, word for word.
hawkytom Posted - 08 Sep 2008 : 17:39:38
I know this isn't actually considered a FR novel, but:

-Will this novel/series have any significance in the FR world?

quote:
"Heroes of Phlan, Children of Bhaal, and the Double Diamond Triangle Saga are generally ignored by authors. So don't take them too seriously when reading them"

Basically I'm curious if the novel will be considered among these novels. (Although these novels actually sport the 'FR insignia/logo')

Thanks!
Karzak Posted - 03 Sep 2008 : 18:57:43
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:
Originally posted by Karzak

Yes, exactly. I reiterate: writing for children/young adults isn't an excuse to produce mediocre tripe.

I respect your opinion, but your statement proves my point.
What is Tripe to you or me is a delicacy to our dogs!
There really is a consumer who will value anything.

I'm not sure how I can spell this out any more clearly, short of separating each word into component letters: good children's/young adult fiction would also appeal to older readers, if not for the same reason it appeals to its target audience.
The Red Walker Posted - 03 Sep 2008 : 16:33:06
quote:
Originally posted by Kiaransalyn

quote:

Surely you have not enjoyed or will enjoy every children's book your daughter will ever read?

I'll probably be able to answer that question better in a few years. For the moment, I haven't looked at any of her books and thought it was rubbish.
To be fair I haven't classified any of my daughters books as rubbish either, some just do not suit me. As I think The Stowaway does not appear to either.

quote:

P.S. What a great age, my son Tristan will be 1 in 25 days!

quote:

Tristan is a good name. I'm glad there are still people who give children sensible names. My daughter is called Gwendolyn. One is a lovely age but they're very inquisitive.

Thank you I have been partial to Tristan since reading about Tristan and Isolde. The name was resparked in my head when reading the Moonshae trilogy. I have had to do alot of denying that he is named after Brad Pitt's character in Legends of the Fall.
Gwendolyn is a beautiful and underused name for sure. Very nice selection on your part!
Kiaransalyn Posted - 03 Sep 2008 : 15:49:21
quote:

Surely you have not enjoyed or will enjoy every children's book your daughter will ever read?

I'll probably be able to answer that question better in a few years. For the moment, I haven't looked at any of her books and thought it was rubbish.

quote:

Tristan is a good name. I'm glad there are still people who give children sensible names. My daughter is called Gwendolyn. One is a lovely age but they're very inquisitive.
The Red Walker Posted - 03 Sep 2008 : 15:04:17
quote:

Yes, exactly. I reiterate: writing for children/young adults isn't an excuse to produce mediocre tripe.

I respect your opinion, but your statement proves my point.
What is Tripe to you or me is a delicacy to our dogs!
There really is a consumer who will value anything.
The Red Walker Posted - 03 Sep 2008 : 15:02:15
quote:
Originally posted by Kiaransalyn

quote:

The only fair conclusion I can make is that I am(as are most all of the posters here) far too sophisticated as readers to fairly judge a novel that is obviously not targeted for ours palettes!

I beg to differ. My one year old daughter was recently given The Gruffalo by Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler, and I thought it was marvellous. Some of their other books, which she also has, are good reads too.

Good books appeal to all ages, often because they can work on several levels. Although, admittedly, a large majority of books call for the reader to have lived for a number of years. For example, as a child of ten I could read The Lord of the Rings in a week. I enjoyed it for the fantastical images conjured by the text and the straight-forward heroism of the story. However, when I now read it, I find more meaning and depth to it. I very much admire Tolkien's use of language and the deeper emotions of the writer that can be detected.

I will say that I agree with you to a point, Surely you have not enjoyed or will enjoy every children's book your daughter will ever read?

Karzak Posted - 03 Sep 2008 : 13:52:30
Kiaransalyn Posted - 03 Sep 2008 : 09:39:54
quote:

The only fair conclusion I can make is that I am(as are most all of the posters here) far too sophisticated as readers to fairly judge a novel that is obviously not targeted for ours palettes!

I beg to differ. My one year old daughter was recently given The Gruffalo by Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler, and I thought it was marvellous. Some of their other books, which she also has, are good reads too.

Good books appeal to all ages, often because they can work on several levels. Although, admittedly, a large majority of books call for the reader to have lived for a number of years. For example, as a child of ten I could read The Lord of the Rings in a week. I enjoyed it for the fantastical images conjured by the text and the straight-forward heroism of the story. However, when I now read it, I find more meaning and depth to it. I very much admire Tolkien's use of language and the deeper emotions of the writer that can be detected.
The Red Walker Posted - 03 Sep 2008 : 03:39:00
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:

quote:

Would I be correct in guessing that the book your daughter's reading is Stephenie Meyer's Twilight?

LOL, nope that isn't it, I can't even remember the title at the moment, but I do remeber it is a best seller and had one of those neato gold foil medals on the cover

Star Wars Sage Edition?
Actually, the Saga Edition is pretty nice for the Star Wars game. And they finally released Knights of the Old Republic setting material...

More likely he is referring to the Newberry Award, which is a prestigious award for children's books.

That would be the one!
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 03 Sep 2008 : 01:42:27
quote:

quote:
By the way, if I pop over to the question board, how much can you reveal about the moonblades after the spellplague without hitting the NDA?

Not a damn thing, I'm afraid, not because of the NDA wall, but because I have no idea what happens to the moonblades after the spellplague. I haven't read the FRCS book yet, but I doubt this issue has been addressed.

If I were called upon to speculate--and what the heck, let's go for it--I'd say that all the moonblades, active and dormant, disappeared along with Evermeet.

That's close to my speculations as well...

As for Geno's book, I'm hoping it all goes very well for him. Having too many stories in my head and too much second-guessing in my writing skills, makes me appreciate success for anyone that can actually get their story down on paper and published.
ElaineCunningham Posted - 03 Sep 2008 : 01:40:06
quote:
By the way, if I pop over to the question board, how much can you reveal about the moonblades after the spellplague without hitting the NDA?

Not a damn thing, I'm afraid, not because of the NDA wall, but because I have no idea what happens to the moonblades after the spellplague. I haven't read the FRCS book yet, but I doubt this issue has been addressed.

If I were called upon to speculate--and what the heck, let's go for it--I'd say that all the moonblades, active and dormant, disappeared along with Evermeet.
ElaineCunningham Posted - 03 Sep 2008 : 01:36:18
Yes, Geno Salvatore does have an advantage starting out, a fact that seems to irritate some of the denizens of Candlekeep. But I think the disadvantages of having a famous father will soon balance the initial boost. And ultimately, he will succeed or fail on his own merits.

As for me, I wish him all the best.
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 03 Sep 2008 : 01:33:18
quote:
More likely he is referring to the Newberry Award, which is a prestigious award for children's books.

I thought that might be, but I couldn't pass up the reference since I read a review today that talked so much about the gold foil cover.

ElaineCunningham Posted - 03 Sep 2008 : 01:28:39
quote:

quote:

quote:

Would I be correct in guessing that the book your daughter's reading is Stephenie Meyer's Twilight?

LOL, nope that isn't it, I can't even remember the title at the moment, but I do remeber it is a best seller and had one of those neato gold foil medals on the cover

Star Wars Sage Edition?
Actually, the Saga Edition is pretty nice for the Star Wars game. And they finally released Knights of the Old Republic setting material...

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000