Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Mysteries of Moonsea?!?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Brenigin Posted - 11 Sep 2005 : 03:36:42
Looks like all those prayers for a Moonsea sourcebook may be answered - I was looking at illustrator William O'Connor's site and found this:http://www.wocillo.com/moonsea.htm

I'm guessing it's the cover painting...anyone know ANYTHING?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Fillow Posted - 09 Nov 2008 : 20:14:31
Use the search Engine (top of the page) to look for such data within the forums.
You might find something there : http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5107

Or try an engine as Google and enter :"Phlan forum.candlekeep.com" to look for these data within the CK forums.
And use this within Google "Phlan candlekeep.com" to look for these data within the CK website.
Tyranthraxus Posted - 09 Nov 2008 : 19:10:56
There is a netbook about Phlan somewhere on Candlekeep.
Vintenar Posted - 06 Nov 2008 : 00:51:08
Ahh, that could very well be. Personaly, I am so out of it as to what is happening lately I tend to skip over it. Sometimes it seems like, if you kept up with canon there would be no Myth Drannors left to explore anymore. Heck, half of the good stuff is still left in 2nd ed.

Well, here is to hoping, or at least that somehow that pile of pages didn't get lost.

Can anyone who has already played through this campaign give any more thought or advice to making it even better or fleshing it out? Like I said, I am going to try and hinge on the slavers and tracking some notorious criminals, that with any luck will become nemesis for the PCs. If that fails, they can plunder the ruins in search of fame and fortune.
The Sage Posted - 05 Nov 2008 : 23:33:00
quote:
Originally posted by Vintenar

Thanks and sorry for the necro post. I find that to be very dissapointing and ponder if 4 ed. hasn't taken up most of thier time as of late. As one who personally hasn't cared much for 4 ed. I fear to think that the Realms books as I enjoy them have come to an end, at least for now. Heres to hoping someone digs out these lost pages...

More than likely.

Another possibility, simply, is that with the advent of the Spellplague, some [or even most] of what's been written in the web enhancement has now been somewhat invalidated by the impact of the Year of Blue Fire.
Vintenar Posted - 05 Nov 2008 : 15:47:19
Thanks and sorry for the necro post. I find that to be very dissapointing and ponder if 4 ed. hasn't taken up most of thier time as of late. As one who personally hasn't cared much for 4 ed. I fear to think that the Realms books as I enjoy them have come to an end, at least for now. Heres to hoping someone digs out these lost pages...
The Sage Posted - 05 Nov 2008 : 15:07:31
It isn't available. And I don't think anything's changed since the last time I responded to this scroll. Sorry.
Vintenar Posted - 05 Nov 2008 : 15:02:21
First let me say, reading through this thread has been very interesting hehe.

I am planning on running this campaign within the next few weeks with a group of my players and we all greatly look forward to it. I have read through the book and while I do knotice some holes and plot thinness, I understand it is up to the DM to fill those gaps. I do rather wish that some of them were a bit easier however... after all, getting the players to actually want to go to Hillsfar seems completely reliant on a tip on a couple tattoos, which by level 8 or so, might be a little weak for some PCs.

The theme with my group seems to be that several wish to be crime investigators from the south, seeking slave traders who came here due to the laws in the region. I find it should fit well and allow some more advanced plots to weave in with the whole Thayan slave issues. I do wish though that the books contained some more, what I might call, "Iconic" NPC/Villains.

I don't wish the book had more feats. Gods know we have enough feats and prestige classes already... I need more character and story depth, not more feats and shiny magic items.

Well, basicly, I am posting because I am wondering if the Web Enhancement for this is out yet? I knoticed one of the developers post about it's completion around 2 years ago... so here we are going on 3 years and well... is it available? I can't find it anywhere :(

Ahh yes, and I forgot...

As to the whole Plan thing, I do find that detail dissapointing. When the PCs venture toward the "Rogue's Camp" I find myself feeling rather foolish saying... "Umm, there is a city here called Phlan, it's semi destroyed and uhh... theres some people... doing things." With all the detail put in about Melvaunt, Zhentville, Hillsfar and Mulymush I wish a couple pages could have made it in about this city.
The Sage Posted - 22 Sep 2008 : 14:47:03
I don't think much has changed in the last couple of weeks. You're probably better off waiting for the actual 'Realmslore' articles to start flowing from the DDi,before any official word on this proposed WE is revealed.
Neil Bishop Posted - 22 Sep 2008 : 10:02:07
I'm a glutton for punishment... so here is a bump for the Phlan WE on the off-chance that someone might know something....
Markustay Posted - 02 Sep 2008 : 17:44:21
Its gone the way of the Dodo and the rest of Ed's Border Kingdoms articles.
The Sage Posted - 02 Sep 2008 : 01:23:24
I thinks the MotM WE is likely to petition for myth/legend status shortly. Nobody quite knows the truth about it, but we do know that it may exist in some form.
Markustay Posted - 01 Sep 2008 : 23:14:07
I'm just wondering if we're ever going to see that Phlan WE now.
Alisttair Posted - 29 Aug 2008 : 11:35:52
Yeah I finally got around to reading through it last month and it gave a great feeling of how life is in the Moonsea. I don't know how he inhabitants live just on the edge of Thar and all that. Tough people.
Leon_Stryfe Posted - 27 Aug 2008 : 03:43:09
I really liked this source/adventure book (with the exception of the second section). While I consider myself well versed in some areas of FR, the Moonsea was not one of them. Now, because this book interested me and my PC's, we've set up shop there. We've even got nice little enclaves of the Triad in various cities, but that's neither here nor there.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 27 Apr 2008 : 23:49:54
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Just, as I suppose, the rest of Ed's Border Kingdoms articles will end up. Why give us stuff for FREE, when they can charge through the nose for it?
At this point, I don't even think I'd give much thought to me being charged to access them. I'd like to see the reminding 'Border Kingdoms' updates finished and uploaded on the site. I don't want this working of the BK articles to end up like the "unfinished symphony" that was POLYHEDRON's attempt at publishing the write-ups for the Kingdoms.

I agree, there were some articles that I was looking forward to.
Kajehase Posted - 27 Apr 2008 : 11:34:52
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Well, in his interview with the Tome, Ed said that the remaining Border Kingdoms will be posted on the Wizards-site free of charge (which doesn't mean that Wizards can't have changed plans without telling him, but I will remain optimistic - after all, everything Ed says is canon).

Thanks Kaje. I haven't had the time to hear the interview in it's entirety. But from what Ed just said, I think I can start worrying a little less now, about the future of the BK articles.

One of the advantages of working part-time, you get plenty of free time to kill.
The Sage Posted - 27 Apr 2008 : 01:26:27
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Well, in his interview with the Tome, Ed said that the remaining Border Kingdoms will be posted on the Wizards-site free of charge (which doesn't mean that Wizards can't have changed plans without telling him, but I will remain optimistic - after all, everything Ed says is canon).

Thanks Kaje. I haven't had the time to hear the interview in it's entirety. But from what Ed just said, I think I can start worrying a little less now, about the future of the BK articles.
Markustay Posted - 26 Apr 2008 : 17:36:36
I'm certainly NOT 'in-the-know', but I did own my own company for 15+ years, and if it was me making the decisions, I'd put crap like the Headless Zhent up for FREE, and save the juicy stuff (that everyone is anxiously waiting for) for the pay-to-view format (DDi). They specifically said that the DDi would contain "all the stuff that normally ends up on the cutting room floor" in that last podcast, and since that is the stuff we usually saw in the 'Web Enhancements', we can kiss all those great 'Freebies' goodbye.

But thats just me... I like making money. I wouldn't never accuse WotC of the same thing.

And just to keep my post on-topic -
I think I'm one of the few people who liked MoM - true, it could have used the missing 30 pages for more local lore, and that would have been great, but I thought as an update to the 2e product, mixed with many plothooks and side-ventures, it was very useful, at least to me.
Kajehase Posted - 26 Apr 2008 : 09:10:11
The Sage Posted - 26 Apr 2008 : 01:37:55
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Just, as I suppose, the rest of Ed's Border Kingdoms articles will end up. Why give us stuff for FREE, when they can charge through the nose for it?
At this point, I don't even think I'd give much thought to me being charged to access them. I'd like to see the reminding 'Border Kingdoms' updates finished and uploaded on the site. I don't want this working of the BK articles to end up like the "unfinished symphony" that was POLYHEDRON's attempt at publishing the write-ups for the Kingdoms.
Markustay Posted - 25 Apr 2008 : 17:43:18
It was probably VERY good, and already having their 4e plans in place, they chose to hold it off until the could charge us for it in the DDi.

Blackwill Posted - 04 Nov 2006 : 22:18:07
As a Moonsea fanatic I was really looking forward to this book. The lack of realmslore put me off. It forced me to look back to books like "The Moonea" and "Ruins of Zhentil Keep" for more detailed regional information.

I like the adventure in a book, but prefer premade adventures to be seperate of any realms accessories or supplemets. It just detracts from the realmslore and me looking forward to it.

No comments on the writing, that was all brilliant. As for adventure, it very good too. But with the small amount of Forgotten Realms lore books comming out, I excpected a little more. So far this is the worst designed book I've recieved so far, mainly due to my dissapointment in it as Accessory.

~Blackwill, zealot of the Prince of Lies.
Haman Posted - 23 Oct 2006 : 03:59:27
I bought a copy just recently, have gone through it, and just wanted to add some praise/criticism of my own.

-My greatest disappointment was the way Manshoon was treated. I'm an old time FR fan, and always cherished him when he was one of the "OG" bad guys. All I noticed was the designers shuflling him off to his tower and adding (For more information, See his write-up in FRCS). So one of the iconic villains who helped so many adventurers get hooked in the first place gets refferred to a sourcebook that is nearly 5 years old and was one of the first books printed for 3.0?! That, i just don't get. He had a great storyline going, ala "Cloak and Dagger" with great oppurtunities...I think the ball was dropped big time on that. When you think of "Bad Guy" and "Moonsea", who first comes to mind?

-I really liked the format for the cities and present going ons. As a DM, those are essential products to me. Well done!

-I do not, nor have I ever liked throwing adventures and sourcebooks together. This one just went too far for my tastes. My only ffeedback to WotC on this is simple: Stop, please...you gotta keep em seperated.

-The lack of communication between Novel dept. Vs. Gaming Dept. is depressing and the ball was dropped on this too, but I hear it's being fixed! Cool! Something about the two being merged, correct? No more Novel Dept. Vs. Gaming Dept. annual softball games at the WotC summer picnic, eh? I would have bet on the Gaming guys anyway...authors are too scrawny..

-The writing was clear, concise, and flowed smoothly, on that I can't deny. They have some talent, thats for sure.

Over all, I'd give it 2 Fireballs out of 5. Not the best thats come out, but we can't recognize the good without a few stumbles.

Sean Reynolds and Co. have impressed me WAY more times than they've let me down, so no hard feelings at all, and I don't regret the money spent.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 Oct 2006 : 11:35:40
They snuck out an art gallery for this one:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ag/20061018a

Brix Posted - 21 Sep 2006 : 11:17:07
quote:
Originally posted by Darrin Drader

Just an update for interested parties, the web enhancement for Mysteries of the Moonsea has been completed and will be turned into WotC after the other freelancers on the book have had a chance to look at it. Regarding the suggestions I received earlier in this thread, I'd like to thank everyone who came up with stuff. Some suggestions were used, some were not.

Is there any chance you could share some of the stuff or ideas you did not include in your web enhancement?
I know that there are many Phlan/RoA/PoR freaks out there who would die for some new stuff of their favorite settings (including me).
Did you know that PoR gets 20 years old soon?
There should really be some re-issue of it.
For those who are also interessted in this setting:
I'm currently collecting all kind of stuff for a NWN2:PoR thingie.
If you would like to contribute something or if you a just a big fan of the setting please visit
http://www.artandtalk.com/nwn.htm (project page)
http://mydndboard.proboards58.com/index.cgi?board=dvpor (boards)
MerrikCale Posted - 17 Sep 2006 : 03:23:26
Just sticking in my 2 cents. To me, by making it part adventure, part sourcebook, they accomplished neither.
Sanishiver Posted - 15 Sep 2006 : 06:21:29
quote:
Originally posted by Ahwe Yahzhe

I find myself tying all of the mini-adventures not into the loose "Stop the Zhent Slave Trade" plot line, but into the "Help the Scions of Melvaunt" plot line. The climax of this campaign may not be an assault on Zhentil Keep or the Citadel of the Raven, but rather how to defend Melvaunt against a resurgent Kingdom of Thar, with only the help of a few uncorrupted noble scions.
It’s good to see the min-adventures in MoM can be adapted like that.

I bet you could run some massive battles with this kind of campaign, were you so inclined. I wonder if the Zhents in your game would work for or against Thar?

And how are things going since you last posted?

quote:
Originally posted by Ahwe Yahzhe

Adapting the ideas, especially scaling up the adventures for my powerhouse party, has been more time-consuming than I planned. I'm really a 2-hour-prep time kind of DM, as I already work 60-hour weeks. I like MoM, but sometimes I think it would been easier to start with a full adventure...
I’m seeing this now too. I’ve had to spend some time upping the encounter levels from a few Zhentil Keep based adventures from MoM for my Epic Campaign.

Additionally, I just don’t think there’s enough information about the Temple of Bane presented in the book. It’s just....I dunno...underwhelming, I guess. I mean, it’s the Temple of Bane! On the other hand, I could see how rebuilding after the majority of the Keep’s destruction might cause even Fzoul to have to wait until grander abodes can be built.

Having stated out Clerics of Bane (esp. the 17th level NPC) is good, though. I like how later in the book the authors expanded on the stock clerics, which is to say we get more variety in NPCs, but also don’t have to read the same full stat-block again since the authors only had to include the stats that were different.

I found an easy fix for my Temple of Bane dilemma by opting to combine the Temple of Bane section with the Beholders’ Lair section. The Beholders’ Lair even includes a portal, which will be the exit end of the portal my PCs just discovered in Myth Drannor.

That way I get more use out of the book too.

Thanks to Lords of Madness, I’ve got an excellent set of upgrades I can use for the Lair to make the Beholders within it more formidable (like Kularkuthan the Elder Orb, Hive Mothers, magic items to augment eye rays, etc...)

I’m getting my money’s worth out of this tome.

J. Grenemyer
Sanishiver Posted - 02 Aug 2006 : 20:37:26
Good stuff, everyone.

Me, I'm just really stoked about using the solid info in the book on the **mood** of Zhentil Keep and environs. I like each author managed to capture a unique, dismal feeling for each city. That's the kind of fluffy info I as DM can use to really impart to my players what Z-Keep and similar are like.

I hope the PCs manage to cut a deal with Khelben in time!

J. Grenemyer
KnightErrantJR Posted - 02 Aug 2006 : 18:45:45
The material about Vorbyx really did get me to thinking about Thar, and I have some ideas bouncing around my head about how tie Vorbyx, the Tharkuls, and the information in Sons of Grummsh together, but it'll have to wait until I get my computer woes under control.
Mazrim_Taim Posted - 02 Aug 2006 : 10:55:18
I just got the book today and I have mixed feelings about it.

Will it save me time? Yes, if I choose to use the adventures in it. But part of the joy of dming is creating some unique ones of my one. I guess the book was geared towards a different audience than myself. Though the adventures are still well written.

I suppose it will be useful if my PC's happen to avoid all my other plot hooks and I need an adventure fast.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000