Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 The real status of Orcus

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ericlboyd Posted - 17 Aug 2006 : 02:48:22
Aha!

Orcus is a possible pluton!!!

http://www.boston.com/news/science/articles/2006/08/16/nine_no_longer_panel_declares_12_planets/?page=2

--Eric
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kiaransalyn Posted - 20 Aug 2006 : 07:45:21
It becomes very amusing when you discover the IUPAC terminology for a five membered ring containing arsenic.
GothicDan Posted - 20 Aug 2006 : 01:43:53
Science is fun. :D
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 20 Aug 2006 : 01:16:28
I love that name..."Gas Giant".

Right up there with the "noble gases".
GothicDan Posted - 20 Aug 2006 : 00:50:38
quote:
Apparently you have to have a sufficient mass to create a spherical object.

More mass means more gravity, more gravity (in all vectors) means more 'inward' force towards the center of mass. That's why things like dust clouds aren't exactly spherical and such. :)

And the inner planets, at least, are comprised primarily of rock and water. The Gas Giants aren't - like Jupiter is mostly hydrogen and helium.
Kuje Posted - 20 Aug 2006 : 00:12:20
Since some asked about astrologers:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060819/sc_afp/spaceastronomy_060819214235
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 19 Aug 2006 : 23:14:16
Well, this thread has certainly been informative. Thanks all.

But if we are going to have "plutons", then what will the, uh, "regular" planets be called?
Soturno Posted - 19 Aug 2006 : 20:38:11
But where is Gareth Dragonsbane??? Only him leading his high level party can stop Orcus!!! Aaahhh Are we lost?
ericlboyd Posted - 19 Aug 2006 : 19:22:09
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

That definition works for me -- especially if a diameter is specified. Round and orbiting the sun, instead of something else, should be a given.

The diameter requirement is implicit. Apparently you have to have a sufficient mass to create a spherical object. Given that most planets are composed of rock and water, a sufficient diameter implies sufficient mass to be a spherical object. Something like that. The number 429 miles sticks in my head, but I might be wrong there.

--Eric
Kiaransalyn Posted - 19 Aug 2006 : 19:13:55
quote:

But speaking of astrologers (inadvertent though it may be), won't adding more planets screw with how they do things? Or do they just go by the visibile ones?

That was my question too.

I'm sure they'll wait for the final decision then take it from there. After all, they now take into account the movements of Pluto when compiling horoscopes.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 19 Aug 2006 : 19:03:41
quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan

You mean astronomers* Wooly? ;)

(Here to be a pain!)

* If you don't, then I'll have to have a conversation with these astrologers as to who's doing the defining around here...

Yeah, them too!

But speaking of astrologers (inadvertent though it may be), won't adding more planets screw with how they do things? Or do they just go by the visibile ones?
GothicDan Posted - 19 Aug 2006 : 18:02:22
You mean astronomers* Wooly? ;)

(Here to be a pain!)

* If you don't, then I'll have to have a conversation with these astrologers as to who's doing the defining around here...
Wooly Rupert Posted - 19 Aug 2006 : 17:35:16
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

The solution is to define anything that is round (which implies a certain diameter) and primarily orbits the sun (i.e. not a moon) as a planet. Those of size Pluto or smaller are a subgroup of planets known as "plutons". Pluto, Charon, "Xena", and Ceres meet this criteria, but many additional plutons are suspected to exist.

--Eric

That definition works for me -- especially if a diameter is specified. Round and orbiting the sun, instead of something else, should be a given. I don't see why astrologers are having a hard time coming up with a definition like this.
ericlboyd Posted - 19 Aug 2006 : 13:42:36
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

You can't really retcon science. Things were never 'always like this.' It's just that we change our definitions of things or learn new things, or both. :)

That's what I mean...what's the rationale behind changing the definition of "planet"?

If I understand correctly, the reason for "changing" the definition of a "planet" is that there is no precise definition of a "planet." In other words, if Pluto qualified, then "Xena" (which is bigger than Pluto) and possibly 50 other Kuiper belt objects (most of which are believed to exist but have not yet been found) also qualified.

I believe the majority of astronomers wanted to come up with a definition by which the "classical" planets (including Pluto) still qualified but did not result in 50+ planets.

The solution is to define anything that is round (which implies a certain diameter) and primarily orbits the sun (i.e. not a moon) as a planet. Those of size Pluto or smaller are a subgroup of planets known as "plutons". Pluto, Charon, "Xena", and Ceres meet this criteria, but many additional plutons are suspected to exist.

--Eric

GothicDan Posted - 19 Aug 2006 : 04:59:47
quote:
That's what I mean...what's the rationale behind changing the definition of "planet"?

No clue. I wouldn't have done it. But, they're astrophysicists, so what do you expect? ;)
sleyvas Posted - 19 Aug 2006 : 04:03:24
Hmmmm, wonder if there's any ghouls running around on it?
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 19 Aug 2006 : 04:01:15
quote:

You can't really retcon science. Things were never 'always like this.' It's just that we change our definitions of things or learn new things, or both. :)

GothicDan Posted - 19 Aug 2006 : 03:36:04
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 19 Aug 2006 : 03:15:43
quote:

Retcon astrology, hurry!

... Sorry to any out there who follow it. I'm a bad, bad atheist.

I can't believe they are willing to retcon astronomy though.
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 18 Aug 2006 : 22:41:55
Better they named it Orcus, they could have called it Lokus

and to understand this one...check out what it means...

http://dict.leo.org/ende?lp=ende&lang=de&searchLoc=0&cmpType=relaxed§Hdr=on&spellToler=on&search=lokus&relink=on
GothicDan Posted - 18 Aug 2006 : 22:36:26
Retcon astrology, hurry!

... Sorry to any out there who follow it. I'm a bad, bad atheist.
Kiaransalyn Posted - 18 Aug 2006 : 21:41:32
quote:

http://www.boston.com/news/science/articles/2006/08/16/nine_no_longer_panel_declares_12_planets/?page=2

This begs the question 'What do astrologers say about Orcus?'
Aes Tryl Posted - 18 Aug 2006 : 17:47:25
LOl lo and behold the Dark Lord of Terror from the Abyss the great Orcus. . .

Orcus: bark. . .bark. .
EytanBernstein Posted - 18 Aug 2006 : 10:05:40
quote:

Aha!

--Eric

Heck, I might just rename my dog Orcus.
Kuje Posted - 17 Aug 2006 : 20:26:13
quote:

You know... Back when I was still on the WotC boards, there was a guy who kept starting "Orcus rules!" threads every couple of months. I'm betting he's loving the idea of a planet named Orcus.

Nightfall. :) He's still on my AIM list.
GothicDan Posted - 17 Aug 2006 : 17:05:43
Hehe. I remember that guy.

Annoying, he was. And heck, I like Orcus. ;)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 17 Aug 2006 : 16:51:42
You know... Back when I was still on the WotC boards, there was a guy who kept starting "Orcus rules!" threads every couple of months. I'm betting he's loving the idea of a planet named Orcus.
Bakra Posted - 17 Aug 2006 : 15:22:08
*Detective Frank Drebin voice*

I knew it!

Kalin Agrivar Posted - 17 Aug 2006 : 15:14:36
I don't know...I think Orcus is more of a respectable name than Xena
Chosen of Moradin Posted - 17 Aug 2006 : 15:05:35
Orcus in Spelljammer!!!
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 17 Aug 2006 : 14:11:30
We now can send someone to Orcus!

I wonder if the guy who named the planet(oid?) had too much BoVD to read while he was in the bathroom, it might have been inspirational...

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000