Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 The magic of rangers

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Sourcemaster2 Posted - 30 Jan 2004 : 21:50:52
I've been reading FR for a while now, and I've been wondering something: where are the rangers' spells? I know that only higher-level(relatively) rangers get spells at all, but I can't find and mention of them in the novels. Even Drizzt, a high-level ranger, never uses any of the magic that should be available to him. Does anyone have an explination?
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpthero2 Posted - 28 Sep 2018 : 15:47:23
Senior Scribe Sourcemaster2,

To be frank, I have no understanding why that kind of magical might was never written into novels, especially ones including Drizzt and other high end/profile rangers. It must just be that Drizzt was so ridiculously powerful that Bob said, "Nope. Too much wreckface as it is around here with the dual scimitar wielding annihilator."

You would think though with the different things that he does in the Underdark (especialy) as well as above the Underdark, that he would use those skills. I mean, the Elf is super high level, which means he'd have access to some pretty awesome spells.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Sourcemaster2

I've been reading FR for a while now, and I've been wondering something: where are the rangers' spells? I know that only higher-level(relatively) rangers get spells at all, but I can't find and mention of them in the novels. Even Drizzt, a high-level ranger, never uses any of the magic that should be available to him. Does anyone have an explination?

Bookwyrm Posted - 06 Feb 2004 : 17:29:39
quote:
Originally posted by Rad

Ive always thought to leave magic out when running rangers (maybe i never let my players get to a high enough level of ranger ), rangers with magic, in my book, are more or less druids

Same here, really. A few spells don't ruin it, but the focus of the ranger is on tracking, fighting, etc. The paladin's sort of the same way, though I think they can have more spells than others.

It's why I liked the idea of the no-spell ranger and paladin variants. At the very least the ranger; I didn't have time to study it, but I took a look at the ranger in the store and I thought that it seemed more like Drizzt than the standard version.
Dracandos the Spellsage Posted - 05 Feb 2004 : 21:59:09
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowlord

Correct. Nice work, Dracandos.

thank u Shadowlord
Lord Rad Posted - 05 Feb 2004 : 09:00:51
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Well, there haven't been that many rangers in the novels, have there? And even then, the characters' depictions focus on things like tracking and fighting.

Exactly. Take a look at Ren o' the Blade from Heroes of Phlan fame, a great ranger! Also, Art... er... Cimb..... damn, I cant remember his name, the one from Ring of Winter.

Ive always thought to leave magic out when running rangers (maybe i never let my players get to a high enough level of ranger ), rangers with magic, in my book, are more or less druids

Yeah i know, strange!
Bookwyrm Posted - 05 Feb 2004 : 06:40:15
quote:
Originally posted by Sourcemaster2

It's not just Drizzt; I've been unable to find any ranger in the novels casting a (ranger) spell.

Well, there haven't been that many rangers in the novels, have there? And even then, the characters' depictions focus on things like tracking and fighting.
Shadowlord Posted - 05 Feb 2004 : 02:09:21
Correct. Nice work, Dracandos.
Dracandos the Spellsage Posted - 05 Feb 2004 : 01:45:56
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowlord
Drizzt did not bind a demon. He banished a demon

i assume ur reffering 2 Errtu?
Shadowlord Posted - 04 Feb 2004 : 01:29:16
quote:
Originally posted by Edain Shadowstar

Strictly speaking, Drizzt never uses magic beyond his own innate Drow abilities and a few wizard spell to summon a demon and bind it (how he did that I do not know). It is rather funny the selection of spell usually used in Drizzt writeups are spells like pass without trace or calm animal, spells that one could easily fudge enough to make people believe he actually used them. Regardless, Drizzt never casts any rangers spells in the books.

Drizzt did not bind a demon. He banished a demon, and Cadderly bound a demon, but Drizzt never did.
Sourcemaster2 Posted - 04 Feb 2004 : 01:07:35
It's not just Drizzt; I've been unable to find any ranger in the novels casting a (ranger) spell.
Edain Shadowstar Posted - 04 Feb 2004 : 00:17:49
Strictly speaking, Drizzt never uses magic beyond his own innate Drow abilities and a few wizard spell to summon a demon and bind it (how he did that I do not know). It is rather funny the selection of spell usually used in Drizzt writeups are spells like pass without trace or calm animal, spells that one could easily fudge enough to make people believe he actually used them. Regardless, Drizzt never casts any rangers spells in the books.
Dracandos the Spellsage Posted - 03 Feb 2004 : 22:44:06
aye divine magic. Drizzt would be high enough lv 2 use some spells, idk whether he used any skills in the books (as i have read all of them)
Icewolf Posted - 02 Feb 2004 : 13:48:49
quote:
Does Drizzt have a patron god?

Nope. He has a patron Goddess: Mielikki
kahonen Posted - 02 Feb 2004 : 13:08:25
quote:
Originally posted by Edain Shadowstar

The magic of a ranger is in fact divine magic, like that of a druid, only less powerful. Drizzt is unusual, since though Salvatore maintains he's a ranger, he does not shoe him using any spells. In game rules Drizzt would have a few spell to casts, but he does not in the books. I just assume Drizzt does not know the spell, or at least use them.

Does Drizzt have a patron god?
Bookwyrm Posted - 02 Feb 2004 : 07:44:25
The ranger gets a small selection of druid spells, with a few that are only available to rangers themselves. Drizzt, as I recall, has at least one available (speak with animals?). I'd have to check.

It doesn't matter, though -- I'm betting that it'll be replaced soon with the varient ranger class from Complete Warrior, where the ranger doesn't get spells.
Edain Shadowstar Posted - 31 Jan 2004 : 01:02:51
The magic of a ranger is in fact divine magic, like that of a druid, only less powerful. Drizzt is unusual, since though Salvatore maintains he's a ranger, he does not shoe him using any spells. In game rules Drizzt would have a few spell to casts, but he does not in the books. I just assume Drizzt does not know the spell, or at least use them.
Elrond Half Elven Posted - 30 Jan 2004 : 23:01:23
I have always assumed that this magic was very much like Divine magic, gained in the same way a druid would get it, either that or given through their patron God. I have No idea why Drizzt doesn't use this, but to be honest he probably does, the spells the ranger has access to aren’t big show numbers, but rather they are similar to many of the skills that he has. To help him survive in the wild, or to move stealthy.
Hanx
Elrond

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000