Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Mythals?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
zadiac Posted - 20 Jan 2004 : 09:14:42
What exactly is a mythal? Ive just started running the realms and never read any of the FR novels.
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpthero2 Posted - 28 Sep 2018 : 15:35:13
Acolyte zadiac,

Here is some additional information for what Mythal's are:

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Mythal

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by zadiac

What exactly is a mythal? Ive just started running the realms and never read any of the FR novels.

Shadowlord Posted - 27 Jan 2004 : 21:29:26
quote:
Originally posted by Arion Elenim

Good to see you again, Shadowlord! I know, it has been some time since last I sang here in the Halls of Candlekeep..I was, shall we say...detained on bardic business....

(...damn Zhents try to make ME "keep it down"...)

Thanks for the info!

Of course, Arion. It's damn near impossible to try to make you keep it down......
Adrian Moonbow Posted - 27 Jan 2004 : 10:30:39
Do any of you have a 'complete' list of (elven) Mythals (official, that is)?

Do Silverymoon has a Mythal? Aren't they just 'smattering' a bunch of spells up in a barrier? ...It is a long time since I went by there...
Arion Elenim Posted - 26 Jan 2004 : 00:11:43
Good to see you again, Shadowlord! I know, it has been some time since last I sang here in the Halls of Candlekeep..I was, shall we say...detained on bardic business....

(...damn Zhents try to make ME "keep it down"...)

Thanks for the info!
The Sage Posted - 23 Jan 2004 : 12:37:50
You may be interested to try here. On offer (officially from WotC) is a large, and very free selection of FR 2e sourcebooks, including Netheril: Empire of Magic. It has all the details, and history of the mythallars of the ancient Netherese Arcanists.

Enjoy...
zadiac Posted - 23 Jan 2004 : 08:43:24
Where would i find more information on Mythallar?
Some stats would be nice, im running some stuff with the city of shade
The Sage Posted - 23 Jan 2004 : 05:17:23
Hymn is correct Arion. While there aren't exactly stats/numbers on the Mythals of the Realms, there are rules pertaining to the powers and abilities of each individual Mythal currently in existence. I would suggest looking through some of the more relevant 2e, and to a lesser extent, 3e tomes which deal with Mythals.

The obvious choices would be the 2e elven sourcebooks, and the 3e Magic of Faerun tome. Silver Marches has some interesting details on the mythal of Silverymoon, which could also be quite useful for you. Other than that, the design and implementation is pretty much up to the DM.
Hymn Posted - 22 Jan 2004 : 23:20:47
Well as for stats goes on Mythal's I don't think any real stats can be found, maybe some one the one in Myth'Drannor. That would be found in Cormanthyr: Empire of elves. But Mythal's can contain almost any spell + a few extra powers. You should really read the accessori, since it contains quite detailed information on the things, and create your own I guess.
Shadowlord Posted - 22 Jan 2004 : 20:52:10
Ah, if it isn't the resident bard of Candlekeep? Truly, you have not posted in quite a long time. How fares thee?
Arion Elenim Posted - 22 Jan 2004 : 14:04:19
And let us not forget the Mythal surrounding Evermeet, my friends...

By the by...does anyone have numbers and stats on a mythal? I'm currently writing in preparation for writing a novel concerning one, and I'd love some info....
Dracandos the Spellsage Posted - 22 Jan 2004 : 00:52:46
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

[quote]Remember Dracandos, the Mythallar of ancient Netheril were extraordinarily powerful magical devices similar in design and shape to crystal balls, that cut into the Weave to give the device access to the raw and unfiltered magic surrounding Faerun. They were a little different in design and operation to the 'living' energy webs of the Elven Mythals.

aye that is true, the Mythallar of Netheril r different, much more powerful. and yes they were used 2 make the cities fly.
The Sage Posted - 21 Jan 2004 : 13:48:20
Yes. The mythallar generate the magical energies that provide the Netherese enclaves with the ability to float upon the air, and fly...when the need arises.
zadiac Posted - 21 Jan 2004 : 08:31:32
Are the Mythallar what the netherese used to make their cities fly?
The Sage Posted - 21 Jan 2004 : 04:34:47
quote:
Originally posted by Dracandos the Spellsage

an ancient and powerful elven magic ward used during the time of Myth Drannor and actually protected the great city at one time. but now its powers have deminished and now cause only wild surges in magic. they were also used in Netheril, the Mythallar.

Remember Dracandos, the Mythallar of ancient Netheril were extraordinarily powerful magical devices similar in design and shape to crystal balls, that cut into the Weave to give the device access to the raw and unfiltered magic surrounding Faerun. They were a little different in design and operation to the 'living' energy webs of the Elven Mythals.
Shadowlord Posted - 21 Jan 2004 : 01:41:37
There is also one in Evereska, but it has been mixed with Shadow magic, oh, forgive us, we're going to indepth. Well, suffice it to say that the mythal is an old and powerful spell focus, containing many enchantments. Sorry if we overwhelmed you.....
Dracandos the Spellsage Posted - 21 Jan 2004 : 00:56:59
an ancient and powerful elven magic ward used during the time of Myth Drannor and actually protected the great city at one time. but now its powers have deminished and now cause only wild surges in magic. they were also used in Netheril, the Mythallar.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000