Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Mythals?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

zadiac
Acolyte

10 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2004 :  09:14:42  Show Profile  Visit zadiac's Homepage Send zadiac a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
What exactly is a mythal? Ive just started running the realms and never read any of the FR novels.

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2004 :  00:56:59  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
an ancient and powerful elven magic ward used during the time of Myth Drannor and actually protected the great city at one time. but now its powers have deminished and now cause only wild surges in magic. they were also used in Netheril, the Mythallar.

Death strips away the masks men don to hide their true nature - The Slayer's Guide to Undead

The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos shall be sown from their passage - So Sayeth the Wise Alaundo

Whenever magic one doth weave, 'tis never ever wise to deceive - Elminster

Strength and power come from knowing and controlling what others do not, but never reveal all that you know - Vecna

I have been known to cast a blue mage spell now and again - Dracandos the Spellsage

Edited by - Dracandos the Spellsage on 21 Jan 2004 00:59:54
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2004 :  01:41:37  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is also one in Evereska, but it has been mixed with Shadow magic, oh, forgive us, we're going to indepth. Well, suffice it to say that the mythal is an old and powerful spell focus, containing many enchantments. Sorry if we overwhelmed you.....

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2004 :  04:34:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dracandos the Spellsage

an ancient and powerful elven magic ward used during the time of Myth Drannor and actually protected the great city at one time. but now its powers have deminished and now cause only wild surges in magic. they were also used in Netheril, the Mythallar.

Remember Dracandos, the Mythallar of ancient Netheril were extraordinarily powerful magical devices similar in design and shape to crystal balls, that cut into the Weave to give the device access to the raw and unfiltered magic surrounding Faerun. They were a little different in design and operation to the 'living' energy webs of the Elven Mythals.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

zadiac
Acolyte

10 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2004 :  08:31:32  Show Profile  Visit zadiac's Homepage Send zadiac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are the Mythallar what the netherese used to make their cities fly?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2004 :  13:48:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes. The mythallar generate the magical energies that provide the Netherese enclaves with the ability to float upon the air, and fly...when the need arises.

Edited by - The Sage on 21 Jan 2004 13:49:07
Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2004 :  00:52:46  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

[quote]Remember Dracandos, the Mythallar of ancient Netheril were extraordinarily powerful magical devices similar in design and shape to crystal balls, that cut into the Weave to give the device access to the raw and unfiltered magic surrounding Faerun. They were a little different in design and operation to the 'living' energy webs of the Elven Mythals.

aye that is true, the Mythallar of Netheril r different, much more powerful. and yes they were used 2 make the cities fly.

Death strips away the masks men don to hide their true nature - The Slayer's Guide to Undead

The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos shall be sown from their passage - So Sayeth the Wise Alaundo

Whenever magic one doth weave, 'tis never ever wise to deceive - Elminster

Strength and power come from knowing and controlling what others do not, but never reveal all that you know - Vecna

I have been known to cast a blue mage spell now and again - Dracandos the Spellsage
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2004 :  14:04:19  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And let us not forget the Mythal surrounding Evermeet, my friends...

By the by...does anyone have numbers and stats on a mythal? I'm currently writing in preparation for writing a novel concerning one, and I'd love some info....

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2004 :  20:52:10  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, if it isn't the resident bard of Candlekeep? Truly, you have not posted in quite a long time. How fares thee?

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2004 :  23:20:47  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well as for stats goes on Mythal's I don't think any real stats can be found, maybe some one the one in Myth'Drannor. That would be found in Cormanthyr: Empire of elves. But Mythal's can contain almost any spell + a few extra powers. You should really read the accessori, since it contains quite detailed information on the things, and create your own I guess.

Sauro moki kara ochiro - Even monkeys falls from trees.

The path that leads to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant - Miyamoto Musashi
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2004 :  05:17:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hymn is correct Arion. While there aren't exactly stats/numbers on the Mythals of the Realms, there are rules pertaining to the powers and abilities of each individual Mythal currently in existence. I would suggest looking through some of the more relevant 2e, and to a lesser extent, 3e tomes which deal with Mythals.

The obvious choices would be the 2e elven sourcebooks, and the 3e Magic of Faerun tome. Silver Marches has some interesting details on the mythal of Silverymoon, which could also be quite useful for you. Other than that, the design and implementation is pretty much up to the DM.

Go to Top of Page

zadiac
Acolyte

10 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2004 :  08:43:24  Show Profile  Visit zadiac's Homepage Send zadiac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where would i find more information on Mythallar?
Some stats would be nice, im running some stuff with the city of shade
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2004 :  12:37:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You may be interested to try here. On offer (officially from WotC) is a large, and very free selection of FR 2e sourcebooks, including Netheril: Empire of Magic. It has all the details, and history of the mythallars of the ancient Netherese Arcanists.

Enjoy...

Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2004 :  00:11:43  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good to see you again, Shadowlord! I know, it has been some time since last I sang here in the Halls of Candlekeep..I was, shall we say...detained on bardic business....

(...damn Zhents try to make ME "keep it down"...)

Thanks for the info!

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Adrian Moonbow
Seeker

Denmark
64 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2004 :  10:30:39  Show Profile  Visit Adrian Moonbow's Homepage Send Adrian Moonbow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do any of you have a 'complete' list of (elven) Mythals (official, that is)?

Do Silverymoon has a Mythal? Aren't they just 'smattering' a bunch of spells up in a barrier? ...It is a long time since I went by there...

"I would have wanted not to die.
I would have wanted never to grow up!"
-Quidam
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2004 :  21:29:26  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arion Elenim

Good to see you again, Shadowlord! I know, it has been some time since last I sang here in the Halls of Candlekeep..I was, shall we say...detained on bardic business....

(...damn Zhents try to make ME "keep it down"...)

Thanks for the info!

Of course, Arion. It's damn near impossible to try to make you keep it down......

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2018 :  15:35:13  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Acolyte zadiac,

Here is some additional information for what Mythal's are:

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Mythal

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by zadiac

What exactly is a mythal? Ive just started running the realms and never read any of the FR novels.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000