Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 Pool of Radiance-DOS game "security wheels"

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
AlacLuin Posted - 16 Feb 2006 : 21:57:43
Many of us remember those old school DOS games.
Pool of radiance, curse of the azure bonds, etc.

They came with those "wheels" wher you would match up two runes and type in the words that were in the blocks. Mine are now bent/lost/who knows what.
Anyone know of a site that has the solution to matching of the runes?
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kes_Alanadel Posted - 18 Feb 2006 : 15:30:48
quote:
Originally posted by AlacLuin

Well, I'd love to visit the land of eternal rain mists, but just to shop at a used book store, eeh I think I'll pass

Thanx

Actually, for the last week there hasn't been any rain....just temperatures in the low 20's to teens. I wish it would go back to the eternal rain at the moment...it would be a lot warmer!!!
AlacLuin Posted - 18 Feb 2006 : 03:00:35
MoSlo, I love that name, downloading it now.
The site refers to to it as "abandonware", first time I've ever heard softwere called this. :)

Well, I'd love to visit the land of eternal rain mists, but just to shop at a used book store, eeh I think I'll pass

Thanx

Kes_Alanadel Posted - 17 Feb 2006 : 20:28:27
I do know where there are 2 of the booklets with the wheels (and probably the software as well). I'm not sure where you are, but they are in a used bookstore in Oregon.
Dremvek Posted - 17 Feb 2006 : 19:05:02
There are processor throttles out there that will make games playable that would not otherwise be so. The Ultima series repacks came with one called MoSlo which I believe is freeware. You enter how fast you want the game to run, and then it launches the exe for you.

As for the wheels - I'm guessing someone has them posted somewhere. If you own the software, I've gotta imagine it's legal for you to find the means to actually USE it.
AlacLuin Posted - 16 Feb 2006 : 23:34:13
I have the collection, something like 12 games in all and there were only 3 wheels, actually 2 since one was dubble sided.
I can make use of what I have, before I'll ask someone to do something Illegal.
And yea, I've known people who zeroxed those wheels back in the day, so it was almost pointless.

I recently became aware of a program called "DOSbox", from what I gather it opens a window of a dos invionment, and I have some hope that this may allow these games to be playable.
If the only thing I have to worry about is fast text, I'll be fine.

I'll try that search.
Thanks for the help
Kentinal Posted - 16 Feb 2006 : 23:04:33
The code whels are copyrighted. I do have them as far as it goes. I am not aware of any site that provides the translation but perhaps a seach might offer a few.

The games though are vitually unplayable unless you have 486 or lower processor speed (and 486 was fast even at slowest game speed setting). To even play any of those games you need to get a brake of processing of data.

I would advise a search of "Translation wheel" <game name>

Hilsfar, Pool and Cruse were the only games that used the wheels, other games used verification by other means. I suspect because people copied the wheels.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000