Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 Pool of Radiance-DOS game "security wheels"
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AlacLuin
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2006 :  21:57:43  Show Profile  Visit AlacLuin's Homepage Send AlacLuin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Many of us remember those old school DOS games.
Pool of radiance, curse of the azure bonds, etc.

They came with those "wheels" wher you would match up two runes and type in the words that were in the blocks. Mine are now bent/lost/who knows what.
Anyone know of a site that has the solution to matching of the runes?

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2006 :  23:04:33  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The code whels are copyrighted. I do have them as far as it goes. I am not aware of any site that provides the translation but perhaps a seach might offer a few.

The games though are vitually unplayable unless you have 486 or lower processor speed (and 486 was fast even at slowest game speed setting). To even play any of those games you need to get a brake of processing of data.

I would advise a search of "Translation wheel" <game name>

Hilsfar, Pool and Cruse were the only games that used the wheels, other games used verification by other means. I suspect because people copied the wheels.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

AlacLuin
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2006 :  23:34:13  Show Profile  Visit AlacLuin's Homepage Send AlacLuin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have the collection, something like 12 games in all and there were only 3 wheels, actually 2 since one was dubble sided.
I can make use of what I have, before I'll ask someone to do something Illegal.
And yea, I've known people who zeroxed those wheels back in the day, so it was almost pointless.

I recently became aware of a program called "DOSbox", from what I gather it opens a window of a dos invionment, and I have some hope that this may allow these games to be playable.
If the only thing I have to worry about is fast text, I'll be fine.

I'll try that search.
Thanks for the help
Go to Top of Page

Dremvek
Seeker

70 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2006 :  19:05:02  Show Profile  Visit Dremvek's Homepage Send Dremvek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are processor throttles out there that will make games playable that would not otherwise be so. The Ultima series repacks came with one called MoSlo which I believe is freeware. You enter how fast you want the game to run, and then it launches the exe for you.

As for the wheels - I'm guessing someone has them posted somewhere. If you own the software, I've gotta imagine it's legal for you to find the means to actually USE it.
Go to Top of Page

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2006 :  20:28:27  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do know where there are 2 of the booklets with the wheels (and probably the software as well). I'm not sure where you are, but they are in a used bookstore in Oregon.

Ack! I seem to have too much blood in my coffee stream!

When did 'common sense' cease to be common?
Go to Top of Page

AlacLuin
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2006 :  03:00:35  Show Profile  Visit AlacLuin's Homepage Send AlacLuin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
MoSlo, I love that name, downloading it now.
The site refers to to it as "abandonware", first time I've ever heard softwere called this. :)

Well, I'd love to visit the land of eternal rain mists, but just to shop at a used book store, eeh I think I'll pass

Thanx

Go to Top of Page

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2006 :  15:30:48  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AlacLuin

Well, I'd love to visit the land of eternal rain mists, but just to shop at a used book store, eeh I think I'll pass

Thanx

Actually, for the last week there hasn't been any rain....just temperatures in the low 20's to teens. I wish it would go back to the eternal rain at the moment...it would be a lot warmer!!!

Ack! I seem to have too much blood in my coffee stream!

When did 'common sense' cease to be common?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000