Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Azoun and Tessaril *Spoilers*

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Blah99 Posted - 15 Sep 2007 : 13:17:17
In Hand of Fire its clear that Azoun and Tessaril are having an affair and none of this seems odd to the already knowing citizens of Cormyr? What about Azoun's wife and kids, this was one part of the I strongly disliked and didn't make much sense to me, when I compare this Azoun to the Azoun in Cormyr: A Novel.
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 17 Sep 2007 : 01:51:46
*agrees with what everyone has said so far*

In addition, I've asked Ed about what Filfaeril thinks about Azoun's numerous affairs, and Ed answered that Fee doesn't mind "sharing" her husband with other women, and that more often than not he has her full and loving approval. Basically, it's the culture she grew up in.

I agree that Azoun would seem "slimy" if he was going behind his wife's back, but apparently she's actually OK with it.
The Red Walker Posted - 15 Sep 2007 : 21:48:48
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

quote:

And it's not just Azoun IV, either. Obarskyrs seem to be a randy bunch, in general. A lot of them have had wandering eyes, and have been only too willing to follow their eyes.

The Queen's got her kinks too. Just check out Swords of Dragonsfire. ;)

True, but she's only an Obarskyr by marriage. Those born into the family, as we saw in the novel Cormyr, have proven to be a rather promiscuous lot.

Then there are those of us who only strive to be Obarskyr
Wooly Rupert Posted - 15 Sep 2007 : 19:10:14
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

quote:

And it's not just Azoun IV, either. Obarskyrs seem to be a randy bunch, in general. A lot of them have had wandering eyes, and have been only too willing to follow their eyes.

True, but she's only an Obarskyr by marriage. Those born into the family, as we saw in the novel Cormyr, have proven to be a rather promiscuous lot.
SirUrza Posted - 15 Sep 2007 : 18:21:11
quote:

The Sage Posted - 15 Sep 2007 : 17:14:13
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Edit: P.S. Ed posts here at the Keep in his Questions thread, so you can always ask him directly (well, via THO; she'll post his reply verbatim). He doesn't seem to get angry no matter what he's asked, and usually gives us very candid answers.
Actually, for Blah99's benefit, if you dig through the various reply files, you'll find that Ed [and Garen, briefly] have touched on this particular subject... several times. .
Wooly Rupert Posted - 15 Sep 2007 : 16:22:56
Blueblade Posted - 15 Sep 2007 : 15:36:19
Blah99, the important thing to remember here is that Cormyr is not in our modern real world. They have different morals from what many of us think is "usual" or "right" (heck, there are real world societies that believe in polygamy, so it's not as if there's "one right way" accepted globally in the real world).
So the short answer is that Azoun has always "slept around" (because he wants to, and well, because he's handsome and heroic and is the king), and "everyone" in the kingdom knows and gossips about it, and most of the partners involved, and their husbands, seem flattered or eager to be involved. Ed has said that Filfaeril married him knowing all about it. His son died very young, and his two daughters have grown up with this behavior of their father's being "normal and usual."
I'm not saying there aren't many Cormyreans who disapprove. I'm saying it seems to be legal and accepted. And not just Azoun; many, many of the nobles of Cormyr seem to have frequent affairs.
In other words, being a philanderer doesn't seem in Cormyr to have anything to do with being heroic or "a good citizen." Perhaps Ed was hinting at the European custom (widespread in France) of many happily married men also having "mistresses" that their wives know all about, and don't much mind. This last bit is, of course, just my guess.
Blueblade
Edit: P.S. Ed posts here at the Keep in his Questions thread, so you can always ask him directly (well, via THO; she'll post his reply verbatim). He doesn't seem to get angry no matter what he's asked, and usually gives us very candid answers.
The Red Walker Posted - 15 Sep 2007 : 15:34:16
quote:
Originally posted by Blah99

No please, do spoil it for me, I haven't got enough books about him in easy reach I really want to know.

Well you asked for it. My best estimate is that 2 to 3% of Cormyr's Populus may be his bastard children.
If it has female parts, he will and most likely has bedded it.
Especially women in any sort of powerfull position.
I think that would be a fine question for Ed!
Kuje Posted - 15 Sep 2007 : 15:28:36
Basically it boils down to this:

The Realms doesn't have Earth morals and so in Cormyr the king tends to sleep around, a lot.
Blah99 Posted - 15 Sep 2007 : 15:27:06
No please, do spoil it for me, I haven't got enough books about him in easy reach I really want to know.
The Red Walker Posted - 15 Sep 2007 : 14:35:43
quote:
Originally posted by Blah99

In Hand of Fire its clear that Azoun and Tessaril are having an affair and none of this seems odd to the already knowing citizens of Cormyr? What about Azoun's wife and kids, this was one part of the I strongly disliked and didn't make much sense to me, when I compare this Azoun to the Azoun in Cormyr: A Novel.

I do not wat to spoil anything for you in the future....
but the more you read about Azoun, the more it will all make sense. This is not out af character for him at all. In fact, it is sueprising if that is his only affair in that book!

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000