Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Azoun and Tessaril *Spoilers*
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Blah99
Acolyte

13 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2007 :  13:17:17  Show Profile  Visit Blah99's Homepage Send Blah99 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
In Hand of Fire its clear that Azoun and Tessaril are having an affair and none of this seems odd to the already knowing citizens of Cormyr? What about Azoun's wife and kids, this was one part of the I strongly disliked and didn't make much sense to me, when I compare this Azoun to the Azoun in Cormyr: A Novel.

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2007 :  14:35:43  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blah99

In Hand of Fire its clear that Azoun and Tessaril are having an affair and none of this seems odd to the already knowing citizens of Cormyr? What about Azoun's wife and kids, this was one part of the I strongly disliked and didn't make much sense to me, when I compare this Azoun to the Azoun in Cormyr: A Novel.

I do not wat to spoil anything for you in the future....
but the more you read about Azoun, the more it will all make sense. This is not out af character for him at all. In fact, it is sueprising if that is his only affair in that book!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Blah99
Acolyte

13 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2007 :  15:27:06  Show Profile  Visit Blah99's Homepage Send Blah99 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No please, do spoil it for me, I haven't got enough books about him in easy reach I really want to know.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2007 :  15:28:36  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Basically it boils down to this:

The Realms doesn't have Earth morals and so in Cormyr the king tends to sleep around, a lot.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 15 Sep 2007 15:29:10
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2007 :  15:34:16  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blah99

No please, do spoil it for me, I haven't got enough books about him in easy reach I really want to know.

Well you asked for it. My best estimate is that 2 to 3% of Cormyr's Populus may be his bastard children.
If it has female parts, he will and most likely has bedded it.
Especially women in any sort of powerfull position.
I think that would be a fine question for Ed!

Edited by - The Red Walker on 15 Sep 2007 15:35:11
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2007 :  15:36:19  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Blah99, the important thing to remember here is that Cormyr is not in our modern real world. They have different morals from what many of us think is "usual" or "right" (heck, there are real world societies that believe in polygamy, so it's not as if there's "one right way" accepted globally in the real world).
So the short answer is that Azoun has always "slept around" (because he wants to, and well, because he's handsome and heroic and is the king), and "everyone" in the kingdom knows and gossips about it, and most of the partners involved, and their husbands, seem flattered or eager to be involved. Ed has said that Filfaeril married him knowing all about it. His son died very young, and his two daughters have grown up with this behavior of their father's being "normal and usual."
I'm not saying there aren't many Cormyreans who disapprove. I'm saying it seems to be legal and accepted. And not just Azoun; many, many of the nobles of Cormyr seem to have frequent affairs.
In other words, being a philanderer doesn't seem in Cormyr to have anything to do with being heroic or "a good citizen." Perhaps Ed was hinting at the European custom (widespread in France) of many happily married men also having "mistresses" that their wives know all about, and don't much mind. This last bit is, of course, just my guess.
Blueblade
Edit: P.S. Ed posts here at the Keep in his Questions thread, so you can always ask him directly (well, via THO; she'll post his reply verbatim). He doesn't seem to get angry no matter what he's asked, and usually gives us very candid answers.

Edited by - Blueblade on 15 Sep 2007 15:38:26
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2007 :  16:22:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And it's not just Azoun IV, either. Obarskyrs seem to be a randy bunch, in general. A lot of them have had wandering eyes, and have been only too willing to follow their eyes.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2007 :  17:14:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Edit: P.S. Ed posts here at the Keep in his Questions thread, so you can always ask him directly (well, via THO; she'll post his reply verbatim). He doesn't seem to get angry no matter what he's asked, and usually gives us very candid answers.
Actually, for Blah99's benefit, if you dig through the various reply files, you'll find that Ed [and Garen, briefly] have touched on this particular subject... several times. .

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2007 :  18:21:11  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

And it's not just Azoun IV, either. Obarskyrs seem to be a randy bunch, in general. A lot of them have had wandering eyes, and have been only too willing to follow their eyes.

The Queen's got her kinks too. Just check out Swords of Dragonsfire. ;)

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.

Edited by - SirUrza on 15 Sep 2007 18:21:26
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2007 :  19:10:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

quote:

True, but she's only an Obarskyr by marriage. Those born into the family, as we saw in the novel Cormyr, have proven to be a rather promiscuous lot.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2007 :  21:48:48  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

quote:

True, but she's only an Obarskyr by marriage. Those born into the family, as we saw in the novel Cormyr, have proven to be a rather promiscuous lot.

Then there are those of us who only strive to be Obarskyr

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2007 :  01:51:46  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*agrees with what everyone has said so far*

In addition, I've asked Ed about what Filfaeril thinks about Azoun's numerous affairs, and Ed answered that Fee doesn't mind "sharing" her husband with other women, and that more often than not he has her full and loving approval. Basically, it's the culture she grew up in.

I agree that Azoun would seem "slimy" if he was going behind his wife's back, but apparently she's actually OK with it.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 17 Sep 2007 01:52:06
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000