Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Required reading for Twlight War?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
SirUrza Posted - 03 Sep 2007 : 00:50:48
So I gathered Erevis Cale trilogy is pretty important, but how important is the Sembia series? Is there 1 book in the Sembia series that should be read or does the whole thing need to be read?
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
SirUrza Posted - 17 Sep 2007 : 23:13:42
Finished Storm of the Dead yesterday and started Shadow's Witness. Interesting cast of characters so far... Priest of Mask taken over by a demon, a halfling thief, and Cale. Hmmm. :)
SirUrza Posted - 04 Sep 2007 : 14:17:00
Hmm, doesn't seem like there's that much backstory to read then. :)

And here I expected to spend the rest of the summer reading Sembie before I got to the books I wanted to read. :)
PaulSKemp Posted - 04 Sep 2007 : 14:06:58
quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm

True, but in order to appreciate how much certain relationships have developed(Cale/Riven), it is good to read your other excellent trilogy first:P

Fair point, Firestorm. I just wanted to be clear that I don't think there's a big up-front investment in other books that a prospective reader needs to make in order to (hopefully) enjoy the Twilight War. Of course, I'd love it everyone read all of the previous Cale stories first.
Xysma Posted - 04 Sep 2007 : 03:24:54
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra

quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

quote:
Originally posted by Talanfir Swiftfeet

I haven't read Twilight War but as I understand the bad guys are from the shade enclave, so should "Return of the Archwizards" trilogy be a good read also?

Sure, but you can read the section on Shade in the FRCS and be just as well off.

Or the section about the RotAW trilogy in the Campaign Journal that was published in "Player's Guide to Faerun" for that matter.

That's actually a better resource IMO, thanks Lady K.
Lady Kazandra Posted - 04 Sep 2007 : 00:29:06
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

quote:

I haven't read Twilight War but as I understand the bad guys are from the shade enclave, so should "Return of the Archwizards" trilogy be a good read also?

Sure, but you can read the section on Shade in the FRCS and be just as well off.

Or the section about the RotAW trilogy in the Campaign Journal that was published in "Player's Guide to Faerun" for that matter.
Firestorm Posted - 03 Sep 2007 : 23:07:52
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

FWIW, I tried to write The Twilight War in such a way that it requires no previous experience with the Cale stories to enjoy. I've heard from a fair number of readers who started with the Twilight War and then went back for the earlier Cale books. Just an FYI.

True, but in order to appreciate how much certain relationships have developed(Cale/Riven), it is good to read your other excellent trilogy first:P
PaulSKemp Posted - 03 Sep 2007 : 19:26:43
FWIW, I tried to write The Twilight War in such a way that it requires no previous experience with the Cale stories to enjoy. I've heard from a fair number of readers who started with the Twilight War and then went back for the earlier Cale books. Just an FYI.
Xysma Posted - 03 Sep 2007 : 19:07:05
quote:

Talanfir Swiftfeet Posted - 03 Sep 2007 : 08:46:39
Xysma Posted - 03 Sep 2007 : 06:04:14
The Erevis Cale reading list:

“Soulbound” from Realms of the Dragons
“Another Name for Dawn” from Dragon 277
“Resurrection” from The Halls of Stormweather
Shadow’s Witness
“And All the Sinners, Saints” from Dragon 297
Twilight Falling
Dawn of Night, The
Midnight's Mask
Shadowbred
Shadowstorm
Shadowrealm

Additional reading for The Twilight War
The Lord of Stormweather Features Tamlin Uskevren who plays a significant role in The Twilight War
Mistress of the Night Gives details about The Leaves of One Night.
Xysma Posted - 03 Sep 2007 : 05:43:49
I would suggest reading Shadow's Witness as well as "Soulbound" from the Realms of the Dragons. On a side note, it may be worthwhile to read Mistress of the Night as well, since it gives some background on The Leaves of One Night which plays an important role in "Shadowstorm".
scererar Posted - 03 Sep 2007 : 05:00:32
I have not read the Sembia series yet and I had no problems picking up on the characters. I do however, have them on my list to read in the near future. Others here have offered both sides of the debate though.

On a side note, picking up the black wolf regardless may be a good idea, seeing as the 1st printing became hard to get fairly quickly.
Firestorm Posted - 03 Sep 2007 : 03:00:12
Book 2: Shadow's Witness is important just to read the Cale series, let alone Twilight war.

None of the others are really "necessary", but I still recommend them.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000