Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Required reading for Twlight War?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2007 :  00:50:48  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So I gathered Erevis Cale trilogy is pretty important, but how important is the Sembia series? Is there 1 book in the Sembia series that should be read or does the whole thing need to be read?

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.

Edited by - SirUrza on 03 Sep 2007 00:51:09

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2007 :  03:00:12  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Book 2: Shadow's Witness is important just to read the Cale series, let alone Twilight war.

None of the others are really "necessary", but I still recommend them.
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2007 :  05:00:32  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have not read the Sembia series yet and I had no problems picking up on the characters. I do however, have them on my list to read in the near future. Others here have offered both sides of the debate though.

On a side note, picking up the black wolf regardless may be a good idea, seeing as the 1st printing became hard to get fairly quickly.

Edited by - scererar on 03 Sep 2007 05:09:22
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2007 :  05:43:49  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would suggest reading Shadow's Witness as well as "Soulbound" from the Realms of the Dragons. On a side note, it may be worthwhile to read Mistress of the Night as well, since it gives some background on The Leaves of One Night which plays an important role in "Shadowstorm".

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2007 :  06:04:14  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Erevis Cale reading list:

“Soulbound” from Realms of the Dragons
“Another Name for Dawn” from Dragon 277
“Resurrection” from The Halls of Stormweather
Shadow’s Witness
“And All the Sinners, Saints” from Dragon 297
Twilight Falling
Dawn of Night, The
Midnight's Mask
Shadowbred
Shadowstorm
Shadowrealm

Additional reading for The Twilight War
The Lord of Stormweather Features Tamlin Uskevren who plays a significant role in The Twilight War
Mistress of the Night Gives details about The Leaves of One Night.

Xysma's Gallery

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Talanfir Swiftfeet
Learned Scribe

Finland
143 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2007 :  08:46:39  Show Profile  Visit Talanfir Swiftfeet's Homepage Send Talanfir Swiftfeet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't read Twilight War but as I understand the bad guys are from the shade enclave, so should "Return of the Archwizards" trilogy be a good read also?

I am Talanfir Swiftfeet. (In)famous across the Swoardcoast as "Tal the Swift", Brandobaris´ seraph of mischief. If ye find yer shoelaces tied together while trying to catch a thief or meet a king who is angry because somebody switched the places of his chamberpot and his crown, ye can usually (try to) find me near.

If I had a halfling mother and a human father, would I be a half-halfling or a threequarterling?
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2007 :  19:07:05  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Talanfir Swiftfeet

I haven't read Twilight War but as I understand the bad guys are from the shade enclave, so should "Return of the Archwizards" trilogy be a good read also?

Sure, but you can read the section on Shade in the FRCS and be just as well off.

Xysma's Gallery

Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2007 :  19:26:43  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
FWIW, I tried to write The Twilight War in such a way that it requires no previous experience with the Cale stories to enjoy. I've heard from a fair number of readers who started with the Twilight War and then went back for the earlier Cale books. Just an FYI.
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2007 :  23:07:52  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

FWIW, I tried to write The Twilight War in such a way that it requires no previous experience with the Cale stories to enjoy. I've heard from a fair number of readers who started with the Twilight War and then went back for the earlier Cale books. Just an FYI.

True, but in order to appreciate how much certain relationships have developed(Cale/Riven), it is good to read your other excellent trilogy first:P

Edited by - Firestorm on 03 Sep 2007 23:08:06
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2007 :  00:29:06  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

quote:

Sure, but you can read the section on Shade in the FRCS and be just as well off.

Or the section about the RotAW trilogy in the Campaign Journal that was published in "Player's Guide to Faerun" for that matter.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2007 :  03:24:54  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra

quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

quote:

Or the section about the RotAW trilogy in the Campaign Journal that was published in "Player's Guide to Faerun" for that matter.

That's actually a better resource IMO, thanks Lady K.

Xysma's Gallery

Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2007 :  14:06:58  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm

True, but in order to appreciate how much certain relationships have developed(Cale/Riven), it is good to read your other excellent trilogy first:P

Fair point, Firestorm. I just wanted to be clear that I don't think there's a big up-front investment in other books that a prospective reader needs to make in order to (hopefully) enjoy the Twilight War. Of course, I'd love it everyone read all of the previous Cale stories first.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2007 :  14:17:00  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, doesn't seem like there's that much backstory to read then. :)

And here I expected to spend the rest of the summer reading Sembie before I got to the books I wanted to read. :)

Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2007 :  23:13:42  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finished Storm of the Dead yesterday and started Shadow's Witness. Interesting cast of characters so far... Priest of Mask taken over by a demon, a halfling thief, and Cale. Hmmm. :)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000