Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Recommended Books

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Gwenfloor Posted - 08 Jun 2007 : 02:36:20
I have plenty of Forgotten Realms game products, but I was planning on expanding my collection into the novel area. I currently have "Elminster, The Making of a Mage," and I like it so far. I would like to hear from you Realms enthusiasts what you would recommend as good reading. I have heard of good reviews about the Legacy of the Drow and the Icewind Dale trilogy over at Amazon.
I would also appreciate books with Elminster as the main protagonist. Looks like old El's personal magnetism is still in full bloom after a thousand years.

Mod Edit: Shifted to a more appropriate shelf
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
MerrikCale Posted - 13 Jun 2007 : 04:19:16
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Try Swords of Eveningstar...you might like it. I'd say it's probably one of Ed's best works.

as it is now coming in paperback I will most assuredly give it the old college try
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 12 Jun 2007 : 23:44:51
Try Swords of Eveningstar...you might like it. I'd say it's probably one of Ed's best works.
MerrikCale Posted - 12 Jun 2007 : 03:37:52
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'm actually not a fan of Ed's fiction, myself. I don't dislike it (except for one book), but it doesn't really do anything for me. I've only really enjoyed two of his novels.

I liked Stormlight myself. And the Cormyr books were OK. Other than that, forget it for me. In fairness though, I have not read all of the El books nor have I tried the Swords of Eveningstar yet
scererar Posted - 10 Jun 2007 : 16:20:45
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

quote:
Originally posted by Penknight

quote:

Don't forget to check out Spellfire.

Ah, yes. Spellfire is one that I would heartily recommend as well.

Not to be too contradictory but I would rather chew tin foil than read Spellfire again.

I would recommend Ms Cunningham's Sword and Song books and the recent Year of Rogue Dragon trilogy myself. Plus, I would grab as many of the old Harper books that I could. And the Cleric Quintet

Minus the eating tin foil piece , I would second your other recommendations, as they are also great reads.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 10 Jun 2007 : 08:10:59
I'm actually not a fan of Ed's fiction, myself. I don't dislike it (except for one book), but it doesn't really do anything for me. I've only really enjoyed two of his novels.

Having heard, many times, about how badly the editor(s) treated Spellfire, I think I'd really enjoy it if Ed's original version were to be published.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 10 Jun 2007 : 05:39:11
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

Not to be too contradictory but I would rather chew tin foil than read Spellfire again.

Yes, not everyone likes that book. I'd go so far as to say that people tend to either love it or hate it. However, I would be remiss if I didn't recommend it, since I enjoyed it.

MerrikCale Posted - 10 Jun 2007 : 05:00:10
quote:
Originally posted by Penknight

quote:

I would recommend Ms Cunningham's Sword and Song books and the recent Year of Rogue Dragon trilogy myself. Plus, I would grab as many of the old Harper books that I could. And the Cleric Quintet
scererar Posted - 09 Jun 2007 : 01:26:59
now that it is in the novels portion of the site , yes check out spellfire
The Sage Posted - 09 Jun 2007 : 00:58:24
This scroll really belongs in the FR Novels section...
Penknight Posted - 09 Jun 2007 : 00:46:33
quote:

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 08 Jun 2007 : 23:18:48
Alaundo Posted - 08 Jun 2007 : 17:19:59
quote:
Originally posted by Gwenfloor

I'll check out the Sembia series, as well as Elminster's Daughter, as well as the two book series that I mentioned in my previous post.

Well met

Splendid! The Sembia series is certainly a great start and one that I constantly recommend.
Gwenfloor Posted - 08 Jun 2007 : 02:57:35
I'll check out the Sembia series, as well as Elminster's Daughter, as well as the two book series that I mentioned in my previous post.
Alaundo Posted - 08 Jun 2007 : 02:45:32
Well met

Ahh, wise move, Gwenfloor Indeed, this is often discussed here at Candlekeep. See this scroll, for instance.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000