Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 is there a "special" novel that has that..

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
DeadStar Posted - 05 Aug 2006 : 16:51:37
authentic and "old" feel to it? dont know if you're getting my point. like if it was a book that you yourself found somewhere in a dungeon, dusty and moldy, realistic, blah blah blah. maybe a bit like the D&D handbooks/corebooks (i think; i never owned or picked one so i'm just guessing they are like how i described, from some user reviews).

if there's no forgotten realms novel like that, is there any novel AT ALL? wether fr or not, i just want one like that. but it better damn be fantasy ;P
25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
GothicDan Posted - 13 Aug 2006 : 01:17:47
Agreed.

Someone needs to read some Chaucer!

"Abrille" = April
"Drought" = Rain (?!)
Winterfox Posted - 12 Aug 2006 : 11:34:56
quote:
Originally posted by FridayThe13th

It is written in old-english and the mythology and philosophy behind it is quite cool.

Uhm. No. Not in Old English. Not even Middle English. The Silm's written in plain, uncoded Modern English.
Jorkens Posted - 12 Aug 2006 : 07:15:41
You just made a book-lover cry quajack.

E.R. Eddison and Lord Dunsany would be my best advise; great books from the days before Tolkien. I still don't quite get what your looking for here though. Why not just pick up some old legends and medieval tales if that's the type of stories your looking for.
quajack Posted - 12 Aug 2006 : 07:11:28
If you want a book to feel and appear old and musty, leave it in an undehumidified basement for a month.
FridayThe13th Posted - 12 Aug 2006 : 05:26:32
Ok people, lets get back on topic shall we. If you are a big LOTR fan, you should check out The Silmarillion by J.R.R Tolkien. Iy is a great book that bascically details the entire first age of Middle-Earth with all the wars between the Valar and Morgoth the enemy. It is written in old-english and the mythology and philosophy behind it is quite cool.
Winterfox Posted - 11 Aug 2006 : 19:18:52
quote:
Originally posted by Genis

lol winterfox you have never seemed... ...your always....so sassy and like...dont mess with me...be nice lol

I'm sorry, but this post has what to do with the topic exactly?
Genis Posted - 11 Aug 2006 : 07:20:54
lol winterfox you have never seemed... ...your always....so sassy and like...dont mess with me...be nice lol
GothicDan Posted - 11 Aug 2006 : 03:23:47
The unshortened version, I think, si the longest Epic ever written. I haven't read it myself, but would be interested one day in reading a not-so-shortened version.
FridayThe13th Posted - 11 Aug 2006 : 01:52:43
quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan

Mahabharata.

Good read.

Yeah, I have read the shortened(I mean waaaayyyy shortened) version at my Indian friend's house. Love the overall plot.

Never have read the unshortened version though.(then again, that is pretty long)
GothicDan Posted - 11 Aug 2006 : 01:50:37
Mahabharata.

Good read.
FridayThe13th Posted - 11 Aug 2006 : 01:36:40
quote:
Originally posted by Ignorance Personified

quote:
Originally posted by DeadStar

authentic and "old" feel to it? dont know if you're getting my point. like if it was a book that you yourself found somewhere in a dungeon, dusty and moldy, realistic, blah blah blah. maybe a bit like the D&D handbooks/corebooks (i think; i never owned or picked one so i'm just guessing they are like how i described, from some user reviews).

if there's no forgotten realms novel like that, is there any novel AT ALL? wether fr or not, i just want one like that. but it better damn be fantasy ;P

I cannot think of any FR novel that is published in the manner you specify, but...

Try looking through the numerous editions of The Lord of the Rings that have been published on Amazon and other internet sites. In addition, E.R. Eddison's The Worm Ouroboros and T.H. White's The Once and Future King have most likely been published in the format you describe at some point.

If none of these options work, then try looking for Homer's epics, Ovid's Metamorphoses or Virgil's The Aenied or Beowulf or The Epic of Gilgamesh or Appolonios Rhodios' The Argonautika... (in any translation you find acceptable). I am sure you will find some edition that suits your tastes--although the price almost certainly will not.

All those are good choices, that is, if you can stand old english and constant use of poetry. I read Beowulf myself and I can tell you it definatly has an old feel to it.

Oh, and if you can get them, try even obtaining some far east epics, like the Ramayana and Mahaberatba(I think that is how you spell it, anyway, its a story on Krishna.)And if you want to go really rare, add The Book of Enoch and the original, non-king James modified Bible.
Rory Posted - 10 Aug 2006 : 07:29:02
Horselords kinda felt like an old tale.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 06 Aug 2006 : 03:34:01
Actually, I noticed that the FRCS sorta kinda looks like a "real book".
Ignorance Personified Posted - 06 Aug 2006 : 03:24:51
quote:

I cannot think of any FR novel that is published in the manner you specify, but...

Try looking through the numerous editions of The Lord of the Rings that have been published on Amazon and other internet sites. In addition, E.R. Eddison's The Worm Ouroboros and T.H. White's The Once and Future King have most likely been published in the format you describe at some point.

If none of these options work, then try looking for Homer's epics, Ovid's Metamorphoses or Virgil's The Aenied or Beowulf or The Epic of Gilgamesh or Appolonios Rhodios' The Argonautika... (in any translation you find acceptable). I am sure you will find some edition that suits your tastes--although the price almost certainly will not.
GothicDan Posted - 05 Aug 2006 : 22:18:25
Ack! Winterfox!

Be nice. ;)
DeadStar Posted - 05 Aug 2006 : 22:18:08
my bad, i meant kind gnome.
Winterfox Posted - 05 Aug 2006 : 22:05:17
Certainly not, on account of having no idea what a "kindgom" is.
DeadStar Posted - 05 Aug 2006 : 21:24:49
you have no kindgom
Winterfox Posted - 05 Aug 2006 : 21:18:19
quote:

btw, what i described in the first post was about the book itself as an object, not the contents. you know, the cover, the printing, pages... not the text.

Uhm.

quote:
Originally posted by Winterfox

You mean, a novel with ponderous, faux-archaic and pretentious prose in omniscient third person? I can direct you to plenty of badly written amateur fantasy for that.

quote:

all that except the "badly written amateur" part.

My kingdom for clear communication.
Faraer Posted - 05 Aug 2006 : 20:19:15
The nearest to a reproduction Realms artefact is perhaps Aurora's Whole Realms Catalogue, though it's softback (and far too late-nineteenth-century-looking). Black Library publishes this kind of thing for the Warhammer world, such as The Life of Sigmar.

Yes, Chaucer is Middle English.
DeadStar Posted - 05 Aug 2006 : 20:03:23
btw, what i described in the first post was about the book itself as an object, not the contents. you know, the cover, the printing, pages... not the text.
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 05 Aug 2006 : 19:50:10
You'll also learn some ...was it middle english? reading Chauser...
Winterfox Posted - 05 Aug 2006 : 19:34:49
Go read Malory or Chaucer, then. As authentic as you can get and then some.
DeadStar Posted - 05 Aug 2006 : 18:27:06
all that except the "badly written amateur" part.
Winterfox Posted - 05 Aug 2006 : 17:37:33
You mean, a novel with ponderous, faux-archaic and pretentious prose in omniscient third person? I can direct you to plenty of badly written amateur fantasy for that.

If not, then be clearer, please.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000