Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Best character in the Dark Elf Trilogy

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
thomas b. Posted - 29 May 2005 : 09:05:42
Who is the best character in The Dark Tlf Trilogy?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Flak Posted - 23 Nov 2010 : 09:15:37
while Jarlaxle is a great character no doubt i have to say that the first character that Drizzt makes a real friendship with is a fav of mine, Belwar
swifty Posted - 13 Nov 2010 : 09:28:46
zak all the way for me.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 29 Oct 2010 : 00:03:13
*sigh* If I could have picked Zak/Jar together, I would have. But considering Zak's demise, and that Jarlaxle is still around, I'll just have to go with the shiny-headed rogue. I love Drizzt, don't get me wrong- but I'd LOVE to get the "official" story on how/why he is still alive after being sacrificed as a baby as the third living sone of Baenre!! Somehow, I get the feeling that his origin is an epic tale of itself....
Dart Ambermoon Posted - 25 Oct 2010 : 22:57:06
In the original books Jarlaxle by a mile.
Hellblazer Posted - 25 Oct 2010 : 02:24:23
Jarlaxle, hands down :) I love his unpredictable moves and his skills to survive in a female-dominated drow city.
Eledar Posted - 24 Oct 2010 : 06:31:49
I voted for Zaknafein. He is utterly interesting.

But if there was an option to vote for Clacker, he would have had my vote
Ananta Posted - 06 Oct 2010 : 20:20:38
Jarlaxle. I just love the dude. He's full of epic win.
Zathras Posted - 21 Sep 2010 : 19:38:20
My favorite would be a toss up between Jarlaxle and Zaknafein if I had to limit it to just the trilogy.

But, if I were able to expand the scope to all of the novels about Menzoberanzen I would have to choose Pharaun. I was really bummed that they killed him, and even more bummed when they brought him back in the Empreyan Trilogy and then killed him again. That REALLY ticked me off.
Zireael Posted - 14 Sep 2010 : 18:11:58
Zak first, Jarlaxle second, Vierna third.
GRYPHON Posted - 14 Sep 2010 : 10:44:39
Zaknafein...
Zanan Posted - 10 Dec 2007 : 09:28:33
All these good memories of Matron Malice as the archetypical nasty and cunning drow matron.
zolansilverspear Posted - 10 Dec 2007 : 05:11:10
Zaknaferin...
And I have to say that I never liked Jarlaxle. He is too much a Joker, than a serious character.
BARDOBARBAROS Posted - 09 Dec 2007 : 01:02:52
zaknafein... of course
Nimriel Posted - 02 Dec 2007 : 22:13:09
I have to follow the stream and say Jarlaxle
Brynweir Posted - 02 Dec 2007 : 22:08:46
I like the unpredictabilty of Jarlaxle and the way that he always stays in control even when the situation is falling apart.

However, I have to say that Zak is the best. The way he was willing to sacrifice himself, well, we all know where Drizzt gets it. I would love to see a novel devoted to Zak - his origins and how he came to be such a BA fighter and still have a basically good heart despite the society he grew up in. (There's not one, is there?)
GRYPHON Posted - 02 Dec 2007 : 19:21:57
Zaknafein...what a warrior...
Marquant Volker Posted - 04 Feb 2007 : 19:56:29
Zaknafein, hes just...Zaknafein!
Aureus Posted - 04 Feb 2007 : 19:37:39
I like Vierna, she is sweet and not at all cruel, at least before "the legacy"
SPOILER

she was turned crazy due to the hardships after the fall of House Do'Urden especially because she was a priestess of Lloth (as cleric she draws her power, perception of the world and mental stabilty mainly out of her faith and the power it gives her) abondoned or seperated by everything she held dear, she was eaten away by her pain; if Drizzt had been there to pick her up she would probably be living happily on the surface
Aglaranna Posted - 04 Feb 2007 : 18:26:28
No, I don't have much taste for dog either. Too bony. Okay, okay, I know, it's not funny...
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 04 Feb 2007 : 16:20:01
Didn't like Roddy McGristle myself, but I thought what Bruenor does to Roddy's remaining dog was pretty damned cruel and uncalled for (and not at all humorous).
Zaknafein Posted - 04 Feb 2007 : 05:10:24
Roddy McGristle is the guy in Sojourn. Yeah he was a pretty miserable character who allied with Orcs and couldn't get over his damn dog. haha
yargarth Posted - 02 Feb 2007 : 05:57:15
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

1. Am I wrong to view the popularity of Jarlaxle, a villain or at least an antihero, with suspicion and distaste? Why might I not particularly like the character when some others do?

2. How accurate and honest are these results? How representative might they be of Salvatore readers in general? If they are honest and representative, why haven't there yet been Jarlaxle or Zaknafein novels?

Jarlaxle and Artemis have a split series called the sell swords, but in the last book Artemis told Jarlaxle to get lost. So, now the main focus is on Jarlaxle. Any Jarlaxle is the best
quajack Posted - 26 Jan 2007 : 22:00:13
I'm partial to Roddy (I-can't-recall-his-last-name), the guy who hunted Drizzt once he surfaced. Anytime an author can truly make a reader despise a character, bravo.

Kiaransalyn Posted - 26 Jan 2007 : 09:04:03
quote:
Originally posted by thomas b.

Who is the best character in The Dark Tlf Trilogy?

For me, the best character was Matron Malice. She started in a position of power and although she remained fairly strong and consistent fate (and/or Lolth) turned against her.

(If I'm honest, it's mostly because I've got a thing for dominant women but I am seeking professional help for that.)

Zaknafein Posted - 26 Jan 2007 : 04:40:49
yeah..if you havent figured it out Jarlaxle is in the series. He makes his allstar appearance in Exile. Him and his lovely mercenaries, Bregan D'aerthe, were manipulating both House Do'Urden and Hun'ett.

however I think it is pretty obvious who my favorite character is...
koz Posted - 23 Jan 2007 : 08:29:11
I liked Zaknafien. I liked how he was a weapon's master in a very powerful house but that he had a conscience and his own ideas. A rarity for a male drow. Some of the training and teaching scenes with him and Drizzt were great.
Faramicos Posted - 28 Jul 2005 : 17:34:48
Drizzt is in my mind the embodiment of a cool character. He HAS feelings, the strength to stand up for himself, he is a master swirdsman and then there is still something about him that eludes my mind. Its like every time i read more about him, new details about his complex character emerges and new sides of him are enlightened and it is done while still keeping true to the original character. He is my all time favorit...
Belwar Dissengulp Posted - 28 Jul 2005 : 15:28:07
Magga Cammara dark elf
Sariss Eldariss Posted - 20 Jul 2005 : 22:26:57
It is you!!!!! You wrecker of all thing tinkerly and inventive. Have at thee!!!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 Jul 2005 : 21:52:57
quote:
Originally posted by Sariss Eldariss

Whew! For a moment i feared that Mr. Black was taken in by eliaths oily elven charm.
By the way as for my favourite Dark Elf Trilogy Character it has to be Zaknafien. He wrecked an entire city of illithids because they happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, he took control of his body after Zin - Carla was performed on him to save his son, he is by my humble estimations BAD @$$!

Light laughter
Sariss

By the By is Mr. Wooly Rupert the same giant rodent that is responsible for wrecking many a spacejammers dreams or not? if so I may have a bone to pick with him

Only tinker gnomes need to fear me.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000