Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 FR collection

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Lina Posted - 08 Aug 2004 : 04:33:40
I thought this might be interesting....

How big is your FR novel collection?

So far I have...
One collectors set
plus 23 FR books

Not bad I think, considering I only start mine almost 9 months ago.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Sage Posted - 24 Aug 2004 : 04:37:15
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer
Your Border Kingdoms tome, like my copy, is missing entries for P-Z, no?

Yes, it is. A shame really, although Ed makes up for that lacking, in the other areas of the Realmslore...
konzer Posted - 23 Aug 2004 : 21:41:21
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
Originally posted by konzer

I have just over 90 books. Trying to convince a friend to sell me his full harper series.

In what condition and for how much?

They are all in pretty good shape. The price is the dispute. Even though I can get them cheap if I do a search, I feel like it would just save myself the headache and time.

I already own all of Elaine's book from the series, trying to get a hold of the others. Even if most of them are eh, or worse... My goal, just like a lot of others is own all the books in the FR series.
Kuje Posted - 23 Aug 2004 : 21:17:33
quote:
Originally posted by Moonharp
I have not read the latest volume... is it good, or at least a decent continuation of the previous four? Since its Ed, I guess it is...
One of the things I liked the most in those books was the cover art .

The 5th book basically details the Silvertree family, as well as the creation of the Silent House, amongst other things. I'm only on the second family member that's detailed though since I reread the previous 4 before starting book 5.
Strahd Von Zarovich Posted - 23 Aug 2004 : 20:48:43
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad
[brI have the whole series, myself... A couple of the books aren't worth the effort of acquiring, but most are, at the least, pretty good.

I would say that Escape from Undermountain has to be the worst FR book I have read so far. I was looking forward to reading this to get a taste for Skullport and Undermountain, but was very dissapointed.

I think Paul Kemp painted a much better picture in the novel Dawn of Night, in the Cale Trilogy.

Regards

Strahd Von Zarovich
Moonharp Posted - 23 Aug 2004 : 20:05:27
I remember reading the Band of Four some time ago, and now, when I look back at it through a hazy veil (I do not remember all that much, as the novels were not the most favorite of mine) there are many simillarities between Aglitra and the Realms. However, I think this is a simillarity in a good way, instead of just copying because of lack of ideas. Somehow Aglitra reminds me most of the Dales, but I am not sure why.
I have not read the latest volume... is it good, or at least a decent continuation of the previous four? Since its Ed, I guess it is...
One of the things I liked the most in those books was the cover art .
As for my number of Realms books, I have very little, as it has been told to me since ever that buying books which you can get in the library is been a waste of money... a claim which I widely dissapprove of... I am making up for the my past lack... buying everything I find, even if it is mostly old tomes (hey, the writing is still the same)...
Perhaps when I win the lottery I will buy every single book, and in new version too...
DDH_101 Posted - 23 Aug 2004 : 19:34:55
I just added 3 FR books to my collection:

Evermeet
Forsaken House
The Rage
Faraer Posted - 23 Aug 2004 : 15:34:44
It's not that the Aglirta baronies correspond to specific border kingdoms, but the overall feel and setup in those books -- freewheeling adventure, constant surprises (rather than what are now Realms institutions), shifting and contested petty realms, mostly human foes with monsters as spice -- is similar to the early Realms campaigns and, perhaps, to the Realms of the first half of the 14th century DR.

Your Border Kingdoms tome, like my copy, is missing entries for P-Z, no?
The Sage Posted - 23 Aug 2004 : 09:00:48
That's an interesting point, Faraer.

I can definitely see the similarites and possibilities for connections between the Realms, and the Aglirta. I might start re-reading through my Border Kingdoms tome, in the hope of identifying any actual connections that may now be evident given the amount of time that has passed since the articles from Poly.
Faraer Posted - 22 Aug 2004 : 16:24:44
Maybe not, but no Realms novel collection is complete without Ed's excellent Aglirta books, which are more like the Realms (especially the early Realms, and places like the Border Kingdoms) than many a Realms-logoed novel.

The Kingless Land (2000)
The Vacant Throne (2001)
A Dragon's Ascension (2002)
The Dragon's Doom (2003)
The Silent House (2004)
The Sage Posted - 22 Aug 2004 : 14:21:43
Err... A Dragon's Ascension is Book III of Ed's 'Band of Four' series for Tor. That can hardly be considered an FR novel...
Lina Posted - 22 Aug 2004 : 08:00:15
Add another 2 (got them yesterday) onto my collection.

Does anyone know is Ed's A Dragons Ascention is a stand alone novel or part of a series?
Kuje Posted - 19 Aug 2004 : 19:48:53
quote:

Fourth Double Diamond Triangle Saga book.

Ah right, well there is a Star Trek book by that name also. :) I had forgotten about those Double Diamond novelettes, and it's been many years since I even looked at them.
Faraer Posted - 19 Aug 2004 : 19:21:40
Fourth Double Diamond Triangle Saga book. I forgot to mention my near-illegible photocopy of a proof copy of The Coral Kingdom, a few sentences copied out of Crown of Fire, and a beautiful new paperback of Come Endless Darkness. But that's all.
Kuje Posted - 19 Aug 2004 : 19:13:18
quote:

I have a dog-eaten copy of Once Around the Realms, a copy of Errand of Mercy with its cover removed, and several pages I tore out of a friend's copy of Sojourn.

Errand of Mercy? Aroo? What's that about and who wrote it?

Edit: Nevermind, it's Star Trek. :)
Faraer Posted - 19 Aug 2004 : 19:08:01
I have a dog-eaten copy of Once Around the Realms, a copy of Errand of Mercy with its cover removed, and several pages I tore out of a friend's copy of Sojourn.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 19 Aug 2004 : 18:01:59
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I have just over 90 books. Trying to convince a friend to sell me his full harper series.

I have the whole series, myself... A couple of the books aren't worth the effort of acquiring, but most are, at the least, pretty good.

Which ones dont you think are worth the effort, Wooly? I have the complete collection and the only one I havent read is Finders Bane. Just curious as to which are your least favorite.

Soldiers of Ice, was, by far, my least fave of the group.

I didn't like Crypt of the Shadowking or Curse of the Shadowmage, either. Especially some of the characters' names... I seriously dislike repeated sounds in a first and last name. And no, that wasn't my only complaint, but it's the one that comes most readily to mind. I don't think I've read those books since they were published.
Lord Rad Posted - 19 Aug 2004 : 17:30:21
quote:

quote:

I have the whole series, myself... A couple of the books aren't worth the effort of acquiring, but most are, at the least, pretty good.

Which ones dont you think are worth the effort, Wooly? I have the complete collection and the only one I havent read is Finders Bane. Just curious as to which are your least favorite.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 19 Aug 2004 : 16:51:55
quote:

SiriusBlack Posted - 19 Aug 2004 : 16:31:56
quote:

In what condition and for how much?
konzer Posted - 19 Aug 2004 : 15:52:18
The Sage Posted - 19 Aug 2004 : 12:51:45
quote:
Originally posted by Lina

I thought this might be interesting....

How big is your FR novel collection?

So far I have...
One collectors set
plus 23 FR books

Not bad I think, considering I only start mine almost 9 months ago.

I have a copy (sometimes two, depending upon it's initial release) of every single FR novel published, except for the latest, being Forsaken House (it hasn't been released here yet).

I have all the anthologies, as well as all the collectors editions now released, and most of the reprints (but only if the originals are in a such a poor state).
Ignorance Personified Posted - 19 Aug 2004 : 03:42:23

quote:
Originally Posted by Arnwyn
After being burned one too many times, I am now very selective - only buying those by Ed Greenwood, and select novels by Elaine Cunningham and RA Salvatore. I don't trust any other FR author

I am also starting to feel this way about realms novels, but you should pick up Paul S. Kemp's Erevis Cale Trilogy (Book 1-Twilight Falling) as the trilogy is on par with the aforementioned authors' finest works--if I am wrong then I will use my name as a crutch.
Arnwyn Posted - 19 Aug 2004 : 02:33:10
112 novels for me.

I quit buying, though, a couple years ago. After being burned one too many times, I am now very selective - only buying those by Ed Greenwood, and select novels by Elaine Cunningham and RA Salvatore. I don't trust any other FR author.
Reefy Posted - 19 Aug 2004 : 00:53:43
I have a mere 26; Forsaken House is next on my agenda though.
Ignorance Personified Posted - 17 Aug 2004 : 04:56:35
71 Novels, 4 Collectors Editions, and the FRCS.

quote:

Is The Two Swords the next release after that then? Looking forward to that, although I wish Bob Would bring back Cadderly, the quintet was his best work.

I think his best work, and my favorite realms novel, is Servant of the Shard. Reading that novel actually caused me to pick up the quintet and the Elminster Series(my first non-Salvatore realms novels) due to a sarcastic suggestion that Artemis should try to kill El. An interest in the elves within Elminster in Myth Dranor led me to try Evermeet which, prompted me to read the rest of EC's works...

Darth KTrava Posted - 17 Aug 2004 : 04:27:30
quote:
Originally posted by Valdar Oakensong

Is The Two Swords the next release after that then? Looking forward to that, although I wish Bob Would bring back Cadderly, the quintet was his best work.

Me too! I like Cadderly!

Darth KTrava Posted - 17 Aug 2004 : 04:25:53
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Darth KTrava

61 and counting. That's a rough count as I was sitting here at the desk and counting the ones on the bookshelf above the desk with various action figures in the way (they're "sitting" on the shelves in front of the books)

My bookshelves are covered with action figures, too.

The FR shelves have Evas, Macross Veritech/Valkyries, Muppets figures, GI Joe vehicles, Space Ghost, and Naru and Kitsune from Love Hina in front of them.

Mine: First shelf: Several Godzilla figures, Rodan vs. Gimli and a 12" Clone Trooper. And a stack of cd roms and my cable modem. That's one shelf.

Next shelf up: Plush Obi-Wan Kenobi, a blue neopet kangaroo-thingy, small Darth Maul figurine, a stuffed werewolf, 12" Darth Maul in grunge outfit weilding a batleth, a Garfield clipon.

Feiht Posted - 16 Aug 2004 : 19:29:01
In terms of new books, yeah it's Realms of Dragons and Two Swords. But also, the rerelease of Darkwalker on Moonshae and the Paths of Darkness gift set are coming out in September. It sucks that no new books comes out until October. Only the rerelease and the gift set in September.
SiriusBlack Posted - 16 Aug 2004 : 14:56:30
quote:
Originally posted by Valdar Oakensong

That and Realms of the Dragons would be next in line for release.
Valdar Oakensong Posted - 16 Aug 2004 : 13:59:29

Actually it might be later. As apparently, per someone in another thread, WOTC has that novel scheduled for a December release now. If that's true, I'm curious as to the reason for the push back.
[/quote]

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000