Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Reading Goals: 2013!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Artemas Entreri Posted - 13 Dec 2012 : 16:46:00
I thought it might be fun to see what other scribes are planning for their 2013 reading choices. What are some of your personal reading goals for 2013?

Currently mine include:
-finish Malazan Book of the Fallen series
-begin the Wheel of Time (and maybe finish)
-begin and finish the Malazan Empire series
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Yoss Posted - 25 Mar 2013 : 10:18:48
I get a good amount of downtime at work some nights, occasionally enough to make it through an entire book in a shift, as long as it's not some 800+ giant epic novel. Doing pretty well at getting back to that, as I've kind of gotten over now having the novelty of a phone to play with instead.
Dennis Posted - 24 Mar 2013 : 05:44:17
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Lucky for you your work gives you the luxury of free time to read as you please.
Well, that's only during my lunchbreak, or when I've caught an odd shift. My job used to allow a lot more free time while on the clock, but then the existing boss -- a really great guy -- left, and was replaced with another guy. And the job has become a lot more stressful since then... Plus, because he will not allow certain positions to be worked the way they should be worked, it puts more work on everyone else.
I can totally sympathize with you. I have a friend whose former boss was way, way worse than yours, I think. I even helped her file a case against him in DOLE (Department of Labor and Employment). But he was smart, and he outsmarted us. He deliberately altered certain documents and used his “club friends” in DOLE to steer the case in his favor. When all things failed, as I'm wont to do (sometimes with my father's approval, depending on the gravity), I used our family connection to have their president fire him. Considering what he did to my friend, I could have had his name forever tarnished so no respectable company would hire him. But I thought of his wife and son (a little boy at that time), and thought better of it . . . So instead I just advised their president to let him “resign.” You might be wondering what the difference is. Well, if he got fired, his potential employer would verify his former employer if he really resigned or got fired. In terms of protocol, a former employer can just say something along the line of “his contract terminated on . . .” and not outright say he was fired. But many companies, especially in my friend's industry, have forgone such practice.

Remind me again how we veered to his very topic in a thread about reading?

Anyway, back to the scheduled topic . . .

Entreri:

I'm like that too. With so many unread books in my library, I try to limit re-reading my old and new favorites, but sometimes, they're like ghosts that keep whispering in my ears, “Read me, read me now.”
Wooly Rupert Posted - 24 Mar 2013 : 04:45:27
quote:

Lucky for you your work gives you the luxury of free time to read as you please.

Well, that's only during my lunchbreak, or when I've caught an odd shift. My job used to allow a lot more free time while on the clock, but then the existing boss -- a really great guy -- left, and was replaced with another guy. And the job has become a lot more stressful since then... Plus, because he will not allow certain positions to be worked the way they should be worked, it puts more work on everyone else.
Dennis Posted - 24 Mar 2013 : 04:15:51

Lucky for you your work gives you the luxury of free time to read as you please. I’m not so lucky. Or maybe I was, when I was an editor, for I only read manuscripts that interested me and handled authors that I liked. Now, no such luck. Our “family business,” which I’m slowly taking over, requires me to manage a bunch of people here and in twenty different countries, do tons of paper works, attend emergency meetings that these days seem to occur four to five times a week that I begin to cease to call it “emergency,” and have to watch my back (sometimes literally) when I’m outside doing a “mission” that allows me to bring only one asset (as opposed to three). That’s why I told myself that when our resources allow, I’d acquire Anvil Publishing and two minor ones, where I could work, read, and relax all at the same time.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 24 Mar 2013 : 03:40:19
I've gotten into the habit of taking a book to work and reading during my lunchbreak. This is in part to do something other than play on my phone, in part to get more reading time, and in part to have a use for the Bag of Holding I bought from ThinkGeek, because I otherwise wouldn't have much use for it!
Dennis Posted - 24 Mar 2013 : 02:44:33

We're in the same boat, Sage. Work can sometimes be a pain. I once thought that being self- or family-employed would mean I'd get to have relatively more free time. But I was wrong, so wrong.
The Sage Posted - 24 Mar 2013 : 01:02:40
My reading rate is almost entirely determined by what allotments for reading I can find in my daily routine. So that can mean anything from reading a few pages a day, to reading either half or even a whole book in one 24 hour period.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 23 Mar 2013 : 23:55:00
quote:
Originally posted by Entreri3478

I too enjoy re-reading books but have limited it in the past few years because there are tons of unread books that I am dying to get my hands on. I seriously wish I was one of those super speed readers as long as the comprehension remained the same. I read between 100-200 pages a day now but sometimes it still doesn't feel like it's enough.

I read anywhere from 1.5 to 2 times as fast as most people... But I work long hours and have a toddler. My reading time is quite limited.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 23 Mar 2013 : 21:09:26
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Reading goals are practically useless for me as my To-Read list changes almost everyday.

That's been my previous stance, and even now, I don't really have a To-Read list going on. I'm just trying to make a dent in the number of unread books I have.

Unread books versus "To Read" list. How are they different?

Right now, my To-Read list is the Dragonlance books by Weis & Hickman. I've read all of those books before, some of them multiple times, it's just been a while (2004, for many of them).

I also recently picked up Dune. I've never read it before.

That's the difference -- I enjoy rereading old favorites, and do it frequently. I reread the Harry Potter books ever 12-18 months, for example. And it's because I enjoy rereading books that I've got a lot of books I've never read before. That's what I'm working against, for 2013.

I too enjoy re-reading books but have limited it in the past few years because there are tons of unread books that I am dying to get my hands on. I seriously wish I was one of those super speed readers as long as the comprehension remained the same. I read between 100-200 pages a day now but sometimes it still doesn't feel like it's enough.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 23 Mar 2013 : 21:06:42
quote:
Originally posted by Entromancer

Make it halfway into the Malazan Book of the Fallen. Read all of Howard's Conan works and all the omnibuses in Michael Moorcock's Eternal Champion saga. Additionally, I hope to read the concluding trilogy to the Eternal Champion saga, The Second Ether. For some reason it wasn't added to the EC omnibus lineup.

The midway point of the Malazan books is where they REALLY start to get juicy.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 23 Mar 2013 : 20:57:25
quote:

quote:

quote:

Reading goals are practically useless for me as my To-Read list changes almost everyday.

That's been my previous stance, and even now, I don't really have a To-Read list going on. I'm just trying to make a dent in the number of unread books I have.

Right now, my To-Read list is the Dragonlance books by Weis & Hickman. I've read all of those books before, some of them multiple times, it's just been a while (2004, for many of them).

I also recently picked up Dune. I've never read it before.

That's the difference -- I enjoy rereading old favorites, and do it frequently. I reread the Harry Potter books ever 12-18 months, for example. And it's because I enjoy rereading books that I've got a lot of books I've never read before. That's what I'm working against, for 2013.
Dennis Posted - 23 Mar 2013 : 19:16:07
quote:
Originally posted by charger_ss24

I just finished The Last Threshold and now looking to start in on other FR novels. Been hearing on this board about Erevis Cale, would his books be a good choice?
His self-titled trilogy, not so much. But the Twilight War trilogy (which still features him and his friends) is quite good, and it's not a requirement to read the former in order to understand the plot of the latter.
charger_ss24 Posted - 23 Mar 2013 : 18:54:53
I just finished The Last Threshold and now looking to start in on other FR novels. Been hearing on this board about Erevis Cale, would his books be a good choice?
Entromancer Posted - 23 Mar 2013 : 16:03:17
Make it halfway into the Malazan Book of the Fallen. Read all of Howard's Conan works and all the omnibuses in Michael Moorcock's Eternal Champion saga. Additionally, I hope to read the concluding trilogy to the Eternal Champion saga, The Second Ether. For some reason it wasn't added to the EC omnibus lineup.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 23 Mar 2013 : 15:53:17
quote:

quote:

Wooly Rupert Posted - 23 Mar 2013 : 14:25:38
quote:

Dennis Posted - 23 Mar 2013 : 13:37:33
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by LastStand

Adding:
* Everything by Brandon Sanderson
That's quite a feat. Doesn't he release 15 large books per year??
Nah. Just four to five, and majority are YA (because as they say, that's where the money is).
Artemas Entreri Posted - 23 Mar 2013 : 13:34:21
quote:

Adding:
* Everything by Brandon Sanderson

That's quite a feat. Doesn't he release 15 large books per year??
The Sage Posted - 23 Mar 2013 : 07:32:59
quote:

Adding:
* Everything by Brandon Sanderson,
I tried that last year -- excluding his contributions to the "Wheel of Time" series -- and I just couldn't make it. Each of his individual books often take me a long time to read. Thus, I couldn't get through them all in just twelve months.
Dennis Posted - 23 Mar 2013 : 06:22:30

LastStand Posted - 23 Mar 2013 : 06:18:39
Adding:
* Everything by Brandon Sanderson,
* Foray into Golarion.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 23 Mar 2013 : 04:04:25
quote:

quote:

I don't have any particular reading goals. My to-read list is mostly based on my latest whim, and those change frequently.

I've changed my mind (see that whim thing, again? ). A lot of the stuff in my to-read list is new stuff that I've not read before. So I've decided to try to read more new stuff than re-reads, in 2013.

I also want to re-read all of the Weis & Hickman Dragonlance books. We'll have to see how to balance all that out with the other goal.

I'm making an addition to my goal... I just realized the other day that in addition to a lot of unread novels, I've got a lot of unread manga. So I'm going to include manga as "new reads" for the purposes of my resolution.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 22 Mar 2013 : 22:50:27
I plan on finishing the Sword of Truth series this year. Started it a few weeks ago and am enjoying it so far.
Clad In Shadows Posted - 10 Jan 2013 : 18:44:21
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

quote:
The Sage

I'm not up to 1987 yet...
You do realize that 2013 is the first year since 1987 which doesn't have two of the same digit in it? Time to catch up on your reading, my friend.

My problem is that I have a stack (now actually several stacks) of books to read ... and a haphazard pile of books I finished reading. Read too many books every week (in parallel, since I have partially-read books at home and work and play) and you find it a bit difficult to remember exactly which details belonged to which stories.

I literally have about 80-100 unread books on my shelf. I don't know why I keep buying them...but I do.
Ayrik Posted - 09 Jan 2013 : 15:03:47
quote:
The Sage

I'm not up to 1987 yet...
You do realize that 2013 is the first year since 1987 which doesn't have two of the same digit in it? Time to catch up on your reading, my friend.

My problem is that I have a stack (now actually several stacks) of books to read ... and a haphazard pile of books I finished reading. Read too many books every week (in parallel, since I have partially-read books at home and work and play) and you find it a bit difficult to remember exactly which details belonged to which stories.
ErinMEvans Posted - 08 Jan 2013 : 23:29:35
Since a few of you mentioned Brimstone Angels: Lesser Evils on your reading goals list, this seems like as good a place as any to point out that the WotC Novels Book Club and The Tome Show are reading Lesser Evils starting this week.

Wotc Novels Book Club has a forum discussion, that I participate in here: http://community.wizards.com/bookclub/go/thread/view/110769/29618351/?sdb=1&pg=last

Tome Show will discuss the first half coming up and the ending next month on their podcast.

And in the spirit of the thread: My goal is to read more novels than baby books this year! Particularly the FR novels I've been saving up and the stack I need to read or reread for research. First up: Spider and Stone.

Also, congrats Bakra. If you need baby book suggestions, I read a ridiculous number last year.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 07 Jan 2013 : 03:31:01
Finished the third book of the Chronicles of Amber: Sign of the Unicorn.
BEAST Posted - 06 Jan 2013 : 18:58:08
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

We were talking abut reading/writing/typing things wrong in another thread, and just now I read this thread's title as "Reading Gnolls". First, I obviously (finally) need some glasses. Second, all the 'misreading' I've been doing lately has led to some fun ideas. When I read this one, I pictured someone on TV in a poverty-stricken area saying, "For just pennies a day you can send a gnoll-child to school..."

I can totally see it: that dude with the beard, and violins playing over images of shivering, doe-eyed puppies!

And Sally Struthers, too. She already shilled for the Ethiopian/extraterrestrial Starvin' Marvin on South Park, so why not this?
Quale Posted - 06 Jan 2013 : 18:01:51
quote:

Highprince of War, The Rithmatist by Brandon Sanderson
I wouldn't bother with Highprince of War. Book 1 bored and annoyed me in equal measures, and I've read nothing about HoW that would redeem the series for me...

The Rithmatist almost sounds intriguing, if not for the ridiculous system of magic. Chalkings? Seriously? I know he's always trying to be original when it comes to creating his own system of magic (as evidenced by Mistborn), but I wonder if he's running out of great ideas these days. Just my opinion, of course.

quote:
Magician's End by Feist
Ah. THE MOST ANTICIPATED FANTASY RELEASE THIS YEAR.

Book 1 was excellent to me, tough it needed some editing.

The Emperor's Soul had a stupid magic system, yet I liked it.

Magician's End I'm reading only to see how the Riftwars will finalyl end.

quote:

*sigh, how many times has Republic of Thieves been pushed back? Don't get your hopes up of it actually being released this year.
[/quote]

I think it's been pushed back too many times already, says September on Goodreads. Hope it won't be a pirate republic.
Markustay Posted - 05 Jan 2013 : 14:30:35
Hopefully Jeremy will forgive this minor sidetrack.

We were talking abut reading/writing/typing things wrong in another thread, and just now I read this thread's title as "Reading Gnolls". First, I obviously (finally) need some glasses. Second, all the 'misreading' I've been doing lately has led to some fun ideas. When I read this one, I pictured someone on TV in a poverty-stricken area saying, "For just pennies a day you can send a gnoll-child to school..."

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000