Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Best books to catch up from ToT - Present?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
km457 Posted - 16 Feb 2011 : 05:46:12
Looking for a list of novels to read to cover the 100-year jump from "second-edition era D&D FR" to the present. Basically I devoured everything up until 1997 or so, and have read nothing since...

Hoping to run a new campaign and need the intervening history, the Spellplague, all that... I'd hope it could be covered in 2-3 trilogies, maybe like 8-10 novels total, but who knows? Obviously there's tons of stuff out there, and I don't know where to begin. Mainly I'm looking for books dealing with the Gods, and the "Big Events" type stuff that I'd need to know to craft a good campaign and keep it historically consistent. Also, since I'll be carrying over some characters and themes from our old game, I'd like to get some inspiration for that as well...

What should I read? Thanks in advance!
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Alisttair Posted - 16 Feb 2011 : 19:22:22
To cover from ToT to current, I'd say approximately 95% of the realms novels.
Tarrok of Halruaa Posted - 16 Feb 2011 : 17:50:34
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

I only read half of the second book of The Empyeran Odyssey. But I heard that Mystra's murder was also shown in that series in the form of a vision.

Yes, that's right Dennis, it is covered in book three of the Empyrean Odyssey: The Crystal Mountain.
Dennis Posted - 16 Feb 2011 : 07:56:45

The time-jump is largely not detailed in novels. There are two trilogies that I know which mildly cover it: The Haunted Lands [particularly the second book] by Richard Lee Byers, and The Twilight War [specifically the third book] by Paul S. Kemp. In those two series, the gods involved are Bane, Shar, and Mask, who all played significant roles.

I only read half of the second book of The Empyeran Odyssey. But I heard that Mystra's murder was also shown in that series in the form of a vision.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000