Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The greatest fight scene in the Realms?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jelennet Posted - 25 Dec 2010 : 10:41:53
There are many great fight scenes in the FR books. So, what's your favorite?

Personaly I like Drizzt's escape from the illithid fortress...
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Chosen of Moradin Posted - 05 Mar 2011 : 02:32:41
Ghostwalker! All the fights in Ghostwalker. But I find the moments before the confrontation between Walker and Meris far intense than the fight per se.

But anyway... all the fights of Ghostwalker! :D
Dennis Posted - 05 Mar 2011 : 00:43:50
quote:
Originally posted by strafer

So many to choose from. Vhostym's eradication of a small fortress although a bit one sided as expected.

Indeed.

It'll be great if Paul writes a stand-alone novel about him---detailing his early life, down to how he became The Sojourner. Blasting dragons and planets with nothing but his sheer powers is no easy feat.
Arcanus Posted - 04 Mar 2011 : 23:17:15
Elminster chucking fireballs at the magefair. It always makes me chuckle.
strafer Posted - 15 Feb 2011 : 01:34:33
So many to choose from. Vhostym's eradication of a small fortress although a bit one sided as expected.
Dennis Posted - 01 Feb 2011 : 06:50:47

I find Alassra's series of battles in Silverfall memorable. I still could scarcely believe she transmuted herself to a magical barrier.
Chosen of Asmodeus Posted - 31 Jan 2011 : 17:02:22
Pretty much anything involving Obould. Mainly because they weren't overly detailed. You got what was going on, but Salvatore didn't gush over every feint and parry and you didn't need a diagram to follow them.
Dennis Posted - 26 Jan 2011 : 07:05:20

Really. If Wooly didn't bring it my now-not-so-saintly attention, I wouldn't have noticed.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 26 Jan 2011 : 06:30:12
Riiiight!! *smirks knowingly* LOL!!
Dennis Posted - 26 Jan 2011 : 06:18:16
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Despite how big it was, I don't like it. Far too long and almost repetitive.

Oh, the comments that could be made from this statement!

Honestly, when I posted it, my thoughts were all "saintly."
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 26 Jan 2011 : 04:37:07
My thoughts exactly.
Ecaporaso Posted - 26 Jan 2011 : 03:17:37
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Wow. Just wow.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 25 Jan 2011 : 17:53:21
quote:

Firestorm Posted - 25 Jan 2011 : 17:42:07
quote:

I never found it to be either of those things. Was a great fight scene.
Dennis Posted - 24 Jan 2011 : 23:23:16

Ilsidahur Posted - 24 Jan 2011 : 16:31:05
What about the battle where Kesson Rel fights Cale, Riven, Rivalen, Magadon using a Mythallar and a dozen Templars and priests of Lathander!
Dennis Posted - 23 Jan 2011 : 10:50:06
Well, you can start a thread asking fellow scribes what their favorite fight scenes are in their OWN Realms.
Drizztsmanchild Posted - 23 Jan 2011 : 09:24:59
Crap....I just saw the first post....Sorry j
Drizztsmanchild Posted - 23 Jan 2011 : 08:50:41
I hope this isn't novel specific..if it is forgive my post. But the best and funniest fighting scene took place in one our sessions way back in 1e. There was this new Guy who was playing..no problem as we allowed all newcomers. ...who had the most audacious character I have ever seen. His name was Worf and well he had two scimitars...and a skin and claws made of adamantium..seriously with the healing factor and all. We didn't ask how but we did share some looks involving rolling of the eyes. Anyway he was so cocky that by the time we started out all of us wished he would fall first( bad form I know but you don't understand how cocky this Guy was) and lo and behold we come upon a cadiableepos(Sp?) And true to his attitude Worf just charged the creature. We warned him to hold back...but alas he didn't heed the advice...a dice roll later he was dead. Another roll his adamantium was discovered And I got a shiny new sword and sold the rest for magical items( think it was a ring of some sort) and we all had a great laugh. Though I heard later through friends that Worf had used some contingency spell And was roaming the realms again. There are other more descriptive and honorable battles that have been fought and written...but that one will always be the best one for me. Lol I still have a few guffaws when I think about it and the look on the guy face right after that roll.
Dennis Posted - 22 Jan 2011 : 23:52:45
quote:
Originally posted by Ecaporaso
I also really enjoyed the fights in the Abolethic Sovereignty (sp?) trilogy (Raidon the monk = pure devastation).

Japheth’s fight scenes are entertaining, too.

quote:
Originally posted by Ecaporaso

Seeing Mystras chosen/Elminster in action is always cool - but I'm worried I won't see any more of that in the post-spellplague era :(

You will. Ed is writing a new Elminster series (composed of 6 books, if I’m not mistaken), and 3 of the Chosen are in it; the other two being Alassra and Storm. Their fight scenes in Elminster Must Die, the first book in the sextet, are bland, though. But wait till they regain their strength, and you’ll see castles falling again…
Ecaporaso Posted - 22 Jan 2011 : 22:22:54
Without a doubt, my favorite FR battle scene is the one at the end of 'Unholy' - when the temporary alliance among the zulkirs against Malark is shattered by Szass Tam's claim to autonomous rule over Thay. This fight really evoked the intensity/desperation of a high-level spell battle, and it was woven into the plot so well...

I remember Nevron (the zulkir of conjuration) summoning all these demons to attack Szass Tam - demons which the lich promptly turned to glass then shattered :). The fact that I recall the details of the fight are testament to how awesome it was.

I also really enjoyed the fights in the Abolethic Sovereignty (sp?) trilogy (Raidon the monk = pure devastation).

Seeing Mystras chosen/Elminster in action is always cool - but I'm worried I won't see any more of that in the post-spellplague era :(
Dennis Posted - 08 Jan 2011 : 17:37:21
My pleasure. I happen to be Telamont's fan. =)
Krafus Posted - 07 Jan 2011 : 14:47:01
Thanks, Dennis. :)
Dennis Posted - 06 Jan 2011 : 23:37:52
quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Krafus

quote:
Originally posted by Arik

Not all battle scenes, strictly speaking, but:
  • Szass Tam vs all the (remaining) Zulkirs of Thay

• Telamont (plus some of his Princes Shade and Shadovar artillery) vs belligerent Mephistopheles

• Some of Erevis's little "discussions" with Mask get a bit violent

• Wait, in what book did the battle between Telamont and Mephistopheles take place? *puts on ignoramus hat*

It's in Shadowrealm, book 3 of the Twilight War trilogy by PSK.

I am not sure if I would call that a battle so much as a summoning of a creature generally too powerful to be controlled by most beings. Other than Mephisto turning one of the shades into a twitching pile of gore and shooting veridian beams from his eyes that staggers Telamont, there was not a whole lot of battle. All Telamont did was shackle him in shadows.

It was a summoning, yes. But it was a battle scene, too, because of the exchange of powers that resulted to Telamont’s discomfort and his lackey’s near-death. It was quick because it had to be. As Mephisto said, Telamont could not shackle him for a long period of time, because he’d drain his city of magic.

quote:
    Originally posted by Firestorm

I am still wondering how the hell Telamont Tanthul was able to raise a spellshield that blocked Khelben's silverfire. but it is the most high after all.

I guess he “studied” the nature and intricacies of the silverfire that somehow he was able to devise a shield against it. Besides, he was the only who determined the difference between the phaerimm’s fake silverfire and that of the Chosen.
    Firestorm Posted - 06 Jan 2011 : 22:45:30
    quote:

quote:

quote:

• Telamont (plus some of his Princes Shade and Shadovar artillery) vs belligerent Mephistopheles

• Wait, in what book did the battle between Telamont and Mephistopheles take place? *puts on ignoramus hat*

I am not sure if I would call that a battle so much as a summoning of a creature generally too powerful to be controlled by most beings. Other than Mephisto turning one of the shades into a twitching pile of gore and shooting veridian beams from his eyes that staggers Telamont, there was not a whole lot of battle. All Telamont did was shackle him in shadows.

It was a terrific scene nonetheless.

Of all Drizzt fights, the battle with Zaknafein stands out to me the most.

Erevis Cale and crew vs the Sojourner was excellent. Showing just how powerful a high level mage really is. The Sojourner cleaning out one of the twin towers of eternal eclipse was epic itself. A whole tower of Clerics, wizards and soldiers in less than an hour.

Abelar Corrinthal vs Malkur Forrin in the same series was also epic.

The scene where Manshoon attacks the knights of Myth Drannor only to be surprised by Elminster's presence was also epic in Spellfire.

Gromph Baerne vs Lich Dyrr from war of the spider queen was epic.

Khelben Blackstaff, and Alustriel, Dove, Storm and Laeral Silverhand (5 chosen) vs Telamont Tanthul and many of the princes of Shade was also exciting for me from Return of the Archwizards. A shame Elminster and the Simbul were in hell at the time and Qilue was busy elsewhere. The scene where Storm fires off silverfire at a shade and it rips a hole to the 9 hells(boy do weave and Shadow weave magic not mix), forcing Elminster to go in to seal it was excellent in itself. I am still wondering how the hell Telamont Tanthul was able to raise a spellshield that blocked Khelben's silverfire. but it is the most high after all.

Szass Tam vs the other Zulkir's in Unholy was excellent :)
    Dennis Posted - 06 Jan 2011 : 19:21:23
    quote:

quote:

Krafus Posted - 06 Jan 2011 : 16:00:17
    quote:

Oh, and for me the best battle scene is Drizzt vs Dantrag Baenre. First Dantrag has the advantage... but then Drizzt spots the weakness of Dantrag's style and uses that to defeat Dantrag.
    Dennis Posted - 06 Jan 2011 : 02:03:44
    quote:
    Originally posted by Darsson Spellmaker

The spellbattle between Elminster and Ilhundyl the Mad in The Making of a Mage has always been one of my favorites.

It is one of mine, too. Though I often forget his name. I just call him That Mad Wizard in TMotM.
    Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 06 Jan 2011 : 00:37:25
    The showdown between Drizzt and Zaknafein is the one that sticks in my mind. Y'know, both of them.

quote:
    Originally posted by The Red Walker

Ghostwalker......Walker vs. That dude with the gyrspike( I think that was his weapon)
    That is indeed what it was--a sword with a spiked flail attached to the pommel. Part of my writing challenge to myself in that book was to describe how someone would fight with something like that.

Cheers
    Darsson Spellmaker Posted - 05 Jan 2011 : 23:56:21
    The spellbattle between Elminster and Ilhundyl the Mad in The Making of a Mage has always been one of my favorites.
    Dennis Posted - 04 Jan 2011 : 00:43:05
    Tchazzzar versus Sseelrigoth. I'm not so much a dragon fan, but their fight was a bit memorable.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
    Snitz Forums 2000