Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 the watercourse trilogy

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
swifty Posted - 07 Feb 2010 : 10:24:42
im starting this after house of serpents.just wanted to hear peoples two pennys worth.not read much about it on hear.i know theres a red wizard thing goin on.is tam in it.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Sage Posted - 25 Jan 2011 : 00:39:52
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Ooooh! Extra incentive to journey to the USA. Erik's got first dibs on my time though.

I'll get to GenCon yet.

Dont forget, Im just 30 minutes north of GenCon!

You know, with all these side-attractions being thrown my way, I'm forced to wonder whether I'll actually make it to GenCon.
Dennis Posted - 24 Jan 2011 : 23:21:29

Just because she she reflects a minuscule semblance to real people doesn't mean she's interesting. One can write about "street dogs" fighting over a piece of meat---such happens in the RW. Does it sound/look interesting? No.
swifty Posted - 24 Jan 2011 : 22:42:10
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by swifty

phyrea as annoying as she was is probably the closest thing to a 3 dimensional female character there has been in a realms novel.

Other than annoying....she had a second dimension?

i actually think she is quite a 21st century character.you read about women like her in tabloid newspapers everyday.in that respect shes quite well written.
The Red Walker Posted - 24 Jan 2011 : 16:00:50
quote:

Ooooh! Extra incentive to journey to the USA. Erik's got first dibs on my time though.

I'll get to GenCon yet.

Dont forget, Im just 30 minutes north of GenCon!
The Sage Posted - 24 Jan 2011 : 03:13:29
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I'll get to GenCon yet.

You could also bring Narnra to Disney World, which is only about an hour from me...

That's on the "visit-list." I've relatives who live close by anyway... so I can't really visit Disney World without also visiting them.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 24 Jan 2011 : 02:49:54
quote:

I'll get to GenCon yet.

You could also bring Narnra to Disney World, which is only about an hour from me...
Dennis Posted - 24 Jan 2011 : 01:20:59
Then better have more books in your to-read stacks. I do, at least 10 every month.
The Red Walker Posted - 24 Jan 2011 : 01:13:13
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You said the first book didn't grab you. Don't expect the second will. They're equally disappointing. Bear in mind, though, that this comment comes from someone who only likes one thing (Marek Rymut) in the series, and who wants to strangle Ivar, drown Phyrea in the Lake of Steam, and burn the rest of the characters.

Wouldn't say they are equally disappointing, that's unfair.

They are increasingly disappointing

You have the right of it!

Did you read all 3? I read the 1st and 2nd, but I couldn't further torture myself with the last.

I did read all three I was in the process of buying ole realms stuff I missed so I would have every novel....I bought all three at the same time.....so even though it I would have liked to skip it, I had already shelled out the $

And I had hopes the the red wizard in the novels would triumph and kill em all....but that didn't happen.

Lucky for me I only bought 2 at the same time. Though even if I had bought all 3, I don't think I would bother reading the last.

I also hoped Marek, with some reinforcement from Thay, would kill them all.

Well at that time, it was the only FR novel I had not read on my shelf and any book seemed better than none
Dennis Posted - 24 Jan 2011 : 01:01:35
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You said the first book didn't grab you. Don't expect the second will. They're equally disappointing. Bear in mind, though, that this comment comes from someone who only likes one thing (Marek Rymut) in the series, and who wants to strangle Ivar, drown Phyrea in the Lake of Steam, and burn the rest of the characters.

Did you read all 3? I read the 1st and 2nd, but I couldn't further torture myself with the last.

I did read all three I was in the process of buying ole realms stuff I missed so I would have every novel....I bought all three at the same time.....so even though it I would have liked to skip it, I had already shelled out the $

And I had hopes the the red wizard in the novels would triumph and kill em all....but that didn't happen.

Lucky for me I only bought 2 at the same time. Though even if I had bought all 3, I don't think I would bother reading the last.

I also hoped Marek, with some reinforcement from Thay, would kill them all.
The Sage Posted - 24 Jan 2011 : 00:57:55

I'll get to GenCon yet.
The Red Walker Posted - 24 Jan 2011 : 00:54:05
quote:

quote:

quote:

Aye. The "Watercourse" trilogy is among my stacks of 'To-Read' books. Not quite sure when I'll get to them.

Do yourself a favor Sage...

Toss them on your Vortex, take a stick and push them down to the bottom, never to be seen again. This trilogy was the one thing that maddened Rino more than any other.....One word....Phyrea.....what a mind numbing character.

Oh, I don't like dismissing any Realms novel without first reading it. I'll get to them eventually. Probably later this year.

That is, if I just stop buying any more new books and adding them to my unread stacks.

Keep buying...and if you get close....I may buy you a tome or two!
The Sage Posted - 24 Jan 2011 : 00:51:38
quote:

quote:

Aye. The "Watercourse" trilogy is among my stacks of 'To-Read' books. Not quite sure when I'll get to them.

Toss them on your Vortex, take a stick and push them down to the bottom, never to be seen again. This trilogy was the one thing that maddened Rino more than any other.....One word....Phyrea.....what a mind numbing character.

Oh, I don't like dismissing any Realms novel without first reading it. I'll get to them eventually. Probably later this year.

That is, if I just stop buying any more new books and adding them to my unread stacks.
The Red Walker Posted - 24 Jan 2011 : 00:45:52
quote:

quote:

quote:

Dennis Posted - 24 Jan 2011 : 00:41:25
quote:

quote:

The Red Walker Posted - 24 Jan 2011 : 00:34:13
quote:
Originally posted by swifty

phyrea as annoying as she was is probably the closest thing to a 3 dimensional female character there has been in a realms novel.

Other than annoying....she had a second dimension?
swifty Posted - 23 Jan 2011 : 23:39:17
The Red Walker Posted - 23 Jan 2011 : 18:39:55
quote:

The Red Walker Posted - 23 Jan 2011 : 18:37:08
quote:

Dennis Posted - 23 Jan 2011 : 06:46:57
Ecaporaso Posted - 23 Jan 2011 : 04:31:43
quote:

Phil mentioned in the Acknowledgements section that the sources of the novel Whisper of Waves include Ayn Rand's Fountainhead and The Virtue of Selfishness. And in the Acknowledgements in Lies of Light, he said, "Inspiration continues to be drawn from The Fountainhead and other writings of Ayn Rand." So if you notice a lot of similarities, 'tis no wonder.

Now that you mention it, I do recall those acknowledgements.

I've always felt that Ayn Rands literature didn't emphasize storytelling so much as it functioned as a mechanism for her to convey her philosophical beliefs. Maybe this is why it struck me as an awkward platform for a fantasy novel.

Hmm. Now I'm curious about the rest of the trilogy. Hopefully they're still in stock at my local bookstore...
Dennis Posted - 23 Jan 2011 : 03:54:45
Phil mentioned in the Acknowledgements section that the sources of the novel Whisper of Waves include Ayn Rand's Fountainhead and The Virtue of Selfishness. And in the Acknowledgements in Lies of Light, he said, "Inspiration continues to be drawn from The Fountainhead and other writings of Ayn Rand." So if you notice a lot of similarities, 'tis no wonder.
The Sage Posted - 23 Jan 2011 : 03:47:23
Wooly Rupert Posted - 23 Jan 2011 : 03:27:29
quote:
Originally posted by Ecaporaso

I only read the first book of this series. This may just be me, but it struck me as a brazen Forgotten Realms version of the Fountainhead by Ayn Rand (sp?). I thought it was well-written and had some very interesting qualities, but it didn't grab me as much as other FR books.

I've not read the books myself, nor anything by Ayn Rand... But I've heard more than one person make a similar comment.
Dennis Posted - 22 Jan 2011 : 23:44:14
As Phil said, Ayn Rand is one of his inspirations.
Ecaporaso Posted - 22 Jan 2011 : 23:16:44
I only read the first book of this series. This may just be me, but it struck me as a brazen Forgotten Realms version of the Fountainhead by Ayn Rand (sp?). I thought it was well-written and had some very interesting qualities, but it didn't grab me as much as other FR books.
swifty Posted - 07 May 2010 : 20:03:20
quote:

I liked it, even though it features what is easily my most hated FR character! Phyrea?? I cant remeber the spelling...and that's a good thing, I have been trying to forget her since I read it!

i see what you mean.i was half expecting her to develop an eating disorder by the end.
Alisttair Posted - 26 Apr 2010 : 17:51:23
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

quote:
Originally posted by BlackAce

"Me smash!" "Me shag!" is about the sumtotal of his instincts and volcabulary and that isn't much of an exageration!

Is any more needed by a fighter?

Yes. "Me crush!" needs to be there as well.
ajfurst Posted - 26 Apr 2010 : 11:10:11
It's one of my favourite series. My least favourite series are 'flog a character class' and 'Realm $haking event' ones, so single stories/series that stand on their own two feet and don't have super-villians are the most interesting to me. The fact the hero isn't a super swordsman, thief, cleric or mage of some stripe is a neat twist on the usual fare I liked.
Jorkens Posted - 24 Apr 2010 : 09:58:50
quote:
Originally posted by BlackAce

"Me smash!" "Me shag!" is about the sumtotal of his instincts and volcabulary and that isn't much of an exageration!

Is any more needed by a fighter?
BlackAce Posted - 24 Apr 2010 : 08:56:29
They were, but not THAT terrible! Both Lynn Abbey's(IIRC)*Pools of Radiance and Drew Karpyyshyn's Throne of Bhaal novels were very good. Phil Athans' Baldur's Gate and Shadows of Amn? Not so much.

Take the main character in Baldur's Gate for example; Abdel Arledrian. His behaviour and personality can be summed up as Conan crossed with Richard Sharpe, though he lacks their depth and neither of those are particularly deep character's. "Me smash!" "Me shag!" is about the sumtotal of his instincts and volcabulary and that isn't much of an exageration!

*I don't remember correctly, Carrie Brebis wrote PoR:RoMD

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000