Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Pigs Explode?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kyrene Posted - 24 Nov 2008 : 07:42:20
I'm referring of course to this latest offering from WizBro. While it's not being charged for under the DDI, it's certainly not new. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that bit of so-called 'new' D&D Fiction simply culled from the actual novel Crypt of the Moaning Diamond?

I will await some replies before making my point...
29   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 11 Dec 2008 : 16:32:49
Wow, the *double D* joke was really not obvious to me at all.

(Is that a good thing that boob jokes sometimes go right over my head?)

And "Kid"/"Kidd" is really not a name one generally associates with female characters. It's totally cool, and all, but when I hear it I think of, like "Captain Kidd" and "Billy the Kid", etc.

Cheers
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 11 Dec 2008 : 14:56:15
I'm *in* some of these games, and even I was unaware of that!
Lord Karsus Posted - 10 Dec 2008 : 22:16:52
-He? It's a she. I guess the "I'm a double 'D'" joke went right over your head?

-She's a Human Bard, actually. Very roguish, though. Very fun character. And, better yet, we've stumbled across the concept that, in parallel universes, there are other Kidds, with other alignments, with similar mannerisms, likes, dislikes, and so on. There's CG Kidd, a Robin Hood-like captain, there's CN Kidd, a self-centered swashbuckler from Sigil, there's CE Kidd, the dread pirate, the LG Kidd, commodore of the high seas, and so on...
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 10 Dec 2008 : 20:11:50
Is he a ling-ling rogue? (i.e., extremely short tiefling, perhaps child of a halfling-tiefling union, i.e. ling-ling)

And I think Rosemary's Kidd *is* spelled with two Ds. My mistake?

Cheers

EDIT: No, I had it right the first time. One D.
Lord Karsus Posted - 10 Dec 2008 : 15:56:55
-Got a PC in my game named Kidd ("I'm a double 'D'") in my game. Said character was born before the novel, but...Just sayin'.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 10 Dec 2008 : 15:02:47
Darn all those skill points I didn't spend in Spot! :looks for wallet:

Speaking of rogues, Kid (a character in Crypt and in the Pigs Explode piece) is one of the best Realms rogues out there. I named one of the characters in my last FR convention game after him.

Cheers
Kyrene Posted - 10 Dec 2008 : 13:06:06
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

C'mere, ya big softie . . . [sneak attack]

Softie? Perhaps. Flat footed? Not this Rogue. *picks Erik's pocket during his attempt*
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 09 Dec 2008 : 17:20:28
Ah Kyrene, I could never hate you! C'mere, ya big softie . . . [sneak attack]

But seriously, folks--Crypt is a grand ol' time, and judging from the quality in that novel, City of the Dead's going to be a real smasher.

Cheers
Kyrene Posted - 09 Dec 2008 : 07:44:03
quote:
Originally posted by Brynweir

Now I simply MUST read the Crypt of the Moaning Diamond .

Erik is going to hate me for saying this, but I personally found "Crypt" the best of the four The Dungeons novels. Then again, I found Ghostwalker the best of The Fighters, so take my personal opinion for what it's worth.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 08 Dec 2008 : 18:21:55
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Read it, it's a fun book.

I concur!

Cheers
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 08 Dec 2008 : 14:29:12
Read it, it's a fun book.
Brynweir Posted - 06 Dec 2008 : 15:11:37
Just read the story - very amusing and great character detail squeezed into such a brief look. ::Sigh:: Now I simply MUST read the Crypt of the Moaning Diamond .
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 05 Dec 2008 : 15:06:38
I suspect that we haven't seen the full lineup of Waterdeep novels . . . but only time will tell.

I for one will certainly keep y'all informed when announcements are made, but usually someone on these boards totally beats me to the punch.

Cheers
Rosemary Jones Posted - 05 Dec 2008 : 05:42:56
It's so much fun reading everyone's comments! If "Pigs Explode" seems familiar, the Siegebreakers do refer to this episode more than once in the "Crypt of the Moaning Diamond." Which is why it is a "prequel" rather than a sequel. But this is the first and only time that it's been published as far as I know.

Right now, there's four books listed in the Ed Greenwood Presents: Waterdeep
Blackstaff Tower by Steven Schend
Mistshore by Jaleigh Johnson
Downshadow by Erik Scott de Bie
City of the Dead by me (because my books always seem to start with C in the FR Alphabet)

That's all I know. Sadly, I have failed as the fount of all knowledge or even a cheap oracle. But the cover for City of the Dead has appeared on Amazon and I think it looks great:
http://www.amazon.com/City-Dead-Greenwood-Presents-Waterdeep/dp/078695129X/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228455380&sr=1-5

Best wishes to all!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 25 Nov 2008 : 23:30:12
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Someone should post a link or something....

And someone did.

And someone already noted that as well.

Indeed. But my answer was more humorously stated than yours. That's what's important, here.
The Sage Posted - 25 Nov 2008 : 23:07:16
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

And someone did.

And someone already noted that as well.
Hawkins Posted - 25 Nov 2008 : 20:03:03
I found the short story quite enjoyable. Thanks Rosemary!
The Red Walker Posted - 25 Nov 2008 : 18:43:44
quote:
Originally posted by Kyrene

quote:

Kyrene actually included a link in his opening post.

Although to be fair to Red, I was being rather subtle. I think my forum foo was just a little high while posting that OP.
Pigs 'n all have now been duly PDF-erized and is forming part of my collection alongside such notables as And all the Sinners, Saints, Bloodline, That Time of the Tenday, The Bones of the Beast, The Way, Wayfarer, Wraith and Bold as Brass.

What a sneaky shade of blue you used for that link!
Kyrene Posted - 25 Nov 2008 : 18:22:43
quote:

Although to be fair to Red, I was being rather subtle. I think my forum foo was just a little high while posting that OP.
Pigs 'n all have now been duly PDF-erized and is forming part of my collection alongside such notables as And all the Sinners, Saints, Bloodline, That Time of the Tenday, The Bones of the Beast, The Way, Wayfarer, Wraith and Bold as Brass.
Brimstone Posted - 25 Nov 2008 : 17:26:08
quote:
In the Secrets of the Forgotten Realms seminar, it was said by Ed (by mentioning how many books in the series he had read besides Mistshore and Blckstaff Tower) that there were at least 5, then he ribbed Rich about it being an open , never ending series , to which Rich just laughed.

-Thank you Red Walker.

BRIMSTONE
Wooly Rupert Posted - 25 Nov 2008 : 15:23:13
quote:

And someone did.
The Sage Posted - 25 Nov 2008 : 14:06:28
The Red Walker Posted - 25 Nov 2008 : 13:51:38

Oh, whats this?
Exploding Pigs!?!?

P.S. Very cool Rosemary,thanks for the story and thanks for the note.
You are very gracious and appreciative of your fans. Very cool, and very appreciated by us!
The Red Walker Posted - 25 Nov 2008 : 13:44:09
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

-Rosemary how many books will be published under the Banner of Ed Greeenwood Presents: Waterdeep. I could have sworn that I heard around GenCon this year that around 40 or was it 4 novels would be published for this series. If you cant answer this question then thank you anyway.

BRIMSTONE

In the Secrets of the Forgotten Realms seminar, it was said by Ed (by mentioning how many books in the series he had read besides Mistshore and Blckstaff Tower) that there were at least 5, then he ribbed Rich about it being an open , never ending series , to which Rich just laughed.
Kyrene Posted - 25 Nov 2008 : 07:09:11
quote:
Originally posted by Rosemary Jones

This is actually a prequel to Crypt that was written for the WOTC website about a year ago! It was scheduled to be published at the same time as Crypt but suffered the sad fate of being eaten by the bits and bytes of the website redesign. The editor and I tried to retrieve it several times, but, alas, the pigs never flew.
Was it ever published in any form whatsoever? Either I'm becoming psychic, or I've read it before yesterday. SPOILER: Wiggles saving the day is something I recall.
For reference: My point from above—even if unmade—is now moot.

I must concur with Erik: You go girl!
Brimstone Posted - 25 Nov 2008 : 00:31:09
-Rosemary how many books will be published under the Banner of Ed Greeenwood Presents: Waterdeep. I could have sworn that I heard around GenCon this year that around 40 or was it 4 novels would be published for this series. If you cant answer this question then thank you anyway.

BRIMSTONE
Rosemary Jones Posted - 24 Nov 2008 : 23:44:43
Hi all:
This is actually a prequel to Crypt that was written for the WOTC website about a year ago! It was scheduled to be published at the same time as Crypt but suffered the sad fate of being eaten by the bits and bytes of the website redesign. The editor and I tried to retrieve it several times, but, alas, the pigs never flew.

Until today.

And it is a complete surprise to me. I was going to put it down in my memoirs as phantom pig story.

So there you go, an early holiday present for you and me: Exploding Pigs!

Sorry all about the long silence on the forum. I've been polishing up City of the Dead for next June and packing up all my books for a move. The two thousand and then some volumes that form my library made it safely from point A to point B. But the movers did call my boxes "daunting." I said "Daunting was finding enough boxes for all this and getting it into the boxes."

Cheers all!
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 24 Nov 2008 : 18:53:27
I have read Crypt of the Moaning Diamond, and let me tell you that particular passage is NOT contained therein, though the incident is indeed mentioned in retrospect.

It would appear that WotC has published a free, online short story by Rosemary (noted as the author, see byline). I don't really *know*, but maybe she'll confirm.

Until then: Go Rosemary!

Cheers
Lord Karsus Posted - 24 Nov 2008 : 16:55:02
-These are indeed the characters from Crypt of the Moaning Diamond, and I do recall a section within said novel where they discuss a siege going awry due to pigs exploding, but not having read the novel recently, I can't tell you if that is an exact word-for-word copy of the discussion in the novel, or some new literature based on what was alluded to in the novel. My gut feeling is the first one, though.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000