Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Pigs Explode?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
757 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2008 :  07:42:20  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm referring of course to this latest offering from WizBro. While it's not being charged for under the DDI, it's certainly not new. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that bit of so-called 'new' D&D Fiction simply culled from the actual novel Crypt of the Moaning Diamond?

I will await some replies before making my point...

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2008 :  16:55:02  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-These are indeed the characters from Crypt of the Moaning Diamond, and I do recall a section within said novel where they discuss a siege going awry due to pigs exploding, but not having read the novel recently, I can't tell you if that is an exact word-for-word copy of the discussion in the novel, or some new literature based on what was alluded to in the novel. My gut feeling is the first one, though.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2008 :  18:53:27  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have read Crypt of the Moaning Diamond, and let me tell you that particular passage is NOT contained therein, though the incident is indeed mentioned in retrospect.

It would appear that WotC has published a free, online short story by Rosemary (noted as the author, see byline). I don't really *know*, but maybe she'll confirm.

Until then: Go Rosemary!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 24 Nov 2008 18:54:21
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary Jones
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2008 :  23:44:43  Show Profile  Visit Rosemary Jones's Homepage Send Rosemary Jones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi all:
This is actually a prequel to Crypt that was written for the WOTC website about a year ago! It was scheduled to be published at the same time as Crypt but suffered the sad fate of being eaten by the bits and bytes of the website redesign. The editor and I tried to retrieve it several times, but, alas, the pigs never flew.

Until today.

And it is a complete surprise to me. I was going to put it down in my memoirs as phantom pig story.

So there you go, an early holiday present for you and me: Exploding Pigs!

Sorry all about the long silence on the forum. I've been polishing up City of the Dead for next June and packing up all my books for a move. The two thousand and then some volumes that form my library made it safely from point A to point B. But the movers did call my boxes "daunting." I said "Daunting was finding enough boxes for all this and getting it into the boxes."

Cheers all!

Rosemary Jones
www.rosemaryjones.com
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2008 :  00:31:09  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Rosemary how many books will be published under the Banner of Ed Greeenwood Presents: Waterdeep. I could have sworn that I heard around GenCon this year that around 40 or was it 4 novels would be published for this series. If you cant answer this question then thank you anyway.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 25 Nov 2008 00:32:13
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
757 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2008 :  07:09:11  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rosemary Jones

This is actually a prequel to Crypt that was written for the WOTC website about a year ago! It was scheduled to be published at the same time as Crypt but suffered the sad fate of being eaten by the bits and bytes of the website redesign. The editor and I tried to retrieve it several times, but, alas, the pigs never flew.
Was it ever published in any form whatsoever? Either I'm becoming psychic, or I've read it before yesterday. SPOILER: Wiggles saving the day is something I recall.
For reference: My point from above—even if unmade—is now moot.

I must concur with Erik: You go girl!

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2008 :  13:44:09  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

-Rosemary how many books will be published under the Banner of Ed Greeenwood Presents: Waterdeep. I could have sworn that I heard around GenCon this year that around 40 or was it 4 novels would be published for this series. If you cant answer this question then thank you anyway.

BRIMSTONE

In the Secrets of the Forgotten Realms seminar, it was said by Ed (by mentioning how many books in the series he had read besides Mistshore and Blckstaff Tower) that there were at least 5, then he ribbed Rich about it being an open , never ending series , to which Rich just laughed.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2008 :  13:51:38  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Someone should post a link or something....

Oh, whats this?
Exploding Pigs!?!?

P.S. Very cool Rosemary,thanks for the story and thanks for the note.
You are very gracious and appreciative of your fans. Very cool, and very appreciated by us!

Edited by - The Red Walker on 25 Nov 2008 13:53:25
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2008 :  14:06:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kyrene actually included a link in his opening post.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2008 :  15:23:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

And someone did.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2008 :  17:26:08  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
In the Secrets of the Forgotten Realms seminar, it was said by Ed (by mentioning how many books in the series he had read besides Mistshore and Blckstaff Tower) that there were at least 5, then he ribbed Rich about it being an open , never ending series , to which Rich just laughed.

-Thank you Red Walker.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 25 Nov 2008 17:26:55
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
757 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2008 :  18:22:43  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Although to be fair to Red, I was being rather subtle. I think my forum foo was just a little high while posting that OP.
Pigs 'n all have now been duly PDF-erized and is forming part of my collection alongside such notables as And all the Sinners, Saints, Bloodline, That Time of the Tenday, The Bones of the Beast, The Way, Wayfarer, Wraith and Bold as Brass.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2008 :  18:43:44  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kyrene

quote:

Although to be fair to Red, I was being rather subtle. I think my forum foo was just a little high while posting that OP.
Pigs 'n all have now been duly PDF-erized and is forming part of my collection alongside such notables as And all the Sinners, Saints, Bloodline, That Time of the Tenday, The Bones of the Beast, The Way, Wayfarer, Wraith and Bold as Brass.

What a sneaky shade of blue you used for that link!

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2008 :  20:03:03  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found the short story quite enjoyable. Thanks Rosemary!

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2008 :  23:07:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

And someone did.

And someone already noted that as well.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2008 :  23:30:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

And someone did.

And someone already noted that as well.

Indeed. But my answer was more humorously stated than yours. That's what's important, here.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary Jones
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2008 :  05:42:56  Show Profile  Visit Rosemary Jones's Homepage Send Rosemary Jones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's so much fun reading everyone's comments! If "Pigs Explode" seems familiar, the Siegebreakers do refer to this episode more than once in the "Crypt of the Moaning Diamond." Which is why it is a "prequel" rather than a sequel. But this is the first and only time that it's been published as far as I know.

Right now, there's four books listed in the Ed Greenwood Presents: Waterdeep
Blackstaff Tower by Steven Schend
Mistshore by Jaleigh Johnson
Downshadow by Erik Scott de Bie
City of the Dead by me (because my books always seem to start with C in the FR Alphabet)

That's all I know. Sadly, I have failed as the fount of all knowledge or even a cheap oracle. But the cover for City of the Dead has appeared on Amazon and I think it looks great:
http://www.amazon.com/City-Dead-Greenwood-Presents-Waterdeep/dp/078695129X/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228455380&sr=1-5

Best wishes to all!

Rosemary Jones
www.rosemaryjones.com
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2008 :  15:06:38  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suspect that we haven't seen the full lineup of Waterdeep novels . . . but only time will tell.

I for one will certainly keep y'all informed when announcements are made, but usually someone on these boards totally beats me to the punch.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2008 :  15:11:37  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just read the story - very amusing and great character detail squeezed into such a brief look. ::Sigh:: Now I simply MUST read the Crypt of the Moaning Diamond .

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2008 :  14:29:12  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Read it, it's a fun book.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2008 :  18:21:55  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Read it, it's a fun book.

I concur!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
757 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2008 :  07:44:03  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brynweir

Now I simply MUST read the Crypt of the Moaning Diamond .

Erik is going to hate me for saying this, but I personally found "Crypt" the best of the four The Dungeons novels. Then again, I found Ghostwalker the best of The Fighters, so take my personal opinion for what it's worth.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2008 :  17:20:28  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah Kyrene, I could never hate you! C'mere, ya big softie . . . [sneak attack]

But seriously, folks--Crypt is a grand ol' time, and judging from the quality in that novel, City of the Dead's going to be a real smasher.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
757 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2008 :  13:06:06  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

C'mere, ya big softie . . . [sneak attack]

Softie? Perhaps. Flat footed? Not this Rogue. *picks Erik's pocket during his attempt*

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2008 :  15:02:47  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Darn all those skill points I didn't spend in Spot! :looks for wallet:

Speaking of rogues, Kid (a character in Crypt and in the Pigs Explode piece) is one of the best Realms rogues out there. I named one of the characters in my last FR convention game after him.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2008 :  15:56:55  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Got a PC in my game named Kidd ("I'm a double 'D'") in my game. Said character was born before the novel, but...Just sayin'.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2008 :  20:11:50  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is he a ling-ling rogue? (i.e., extremely short tiefling, perhaps child of a halfling-tiefling union, i.e. ling-ling)

And I think Rosemary's Kidd *is* spelled with two Ds. My mistake?

Cheers

EDIT: No, I had it right the first time. One D.

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 11 Dec 2008 16:33:29
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2008 :  22:16:52  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-He? It's a she. I guess the "I'm a double 'D'" joke went right over your head?

-She's a Human Bard, actually. Very roguish, though. Very fun character. And, better yet, we've stumbled across the concept that, in parallel universes, there are other Kidds, with other alignments, with similar mannerisms, likes, dislikes, and so on. There's CG Kidd, a Robin Hood-like captain, there's CN Kidd, a self-centered swashbuckler from Sigil, there's CE Kidd, the dread pirate, the LG Kidd, commodore of the high seas, and so on...

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  14:56:15  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm *in* some of these games, and even I was unaware of that!

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  16:32:49  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, the *double D* joke was really not obvious to me at all.

(Is that a good thing that boob jokes sometimes go right over my head?)

And "Kid"/"Kidd" is really not a name one generally associates with female characters. It's totally cool, and all, but when I hear it I think of, like "Captain Kidd" and "Billy the Kid", etc.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000