Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Still very bitter sweet...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
SirUrza Posted - 27 Sep 2012 : 17:51:09
So the Sundering has me curious. While I know it's not going to retcon the Realms back to the era I like and undo the things that drove me from the Realms, one thing that appears to be changing is what happened with the Companions of the Hall.

Perhaps I'm reading too much into what's been said, but I'd put money on their special afterlife being shattered by the sundering and them all being dumped back into Toril, alive and in their prime.

So I've begun reading the novels again to get caught up on some of what I've missed. I started with The Orc King. I honestly can't remember if I finished it, but I know it was the last novel I read, so I figured I might as well reread it. As I go through it I start remembering much of it and I'm starting to remember just why I stopped there.

Colson and Wulfgar's parting is so unsatisfying. Over the years I've checked the Realms wiki to see what's going on and find out how the Companions passed on.

Spoiler alert...

Cattie died very much how I expected considering the direction she was heading pre-spellplague. Regis had what I suspected, a surprising yet noble passing. Bruenor died how every dwarf should die.

But Wulfgar... an exile with no apparent legacy? I'll admit I'm still catching up and still in the very beginning, but Colson and Wulfgar's parting is very much bitter sweet. Perhaps I see the potential in her to be the child that Cattie and Wulfgar never had. To grow up with Wulfgar's strength and stubbornness, but with Cattie's heart. Perhaps I long to even see her run off after Drizzt on an adventure like young Cattie did.

As I said, I'm still catching up, so I don't even know if the novels tell us the fate of Colson and it's just been left out of wiki. Does she grow up to remember Wulfgar? Is he still her "Da?"

So bitter sweet. So heart breaking.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Shere Khan Posted - 10 Nov 2012 : 21:35:23
Jarlaxle is by far my favorite drow in the realms. Instead of a heart in his chest, he has a calculator. Nevertheless he exudes such charm that it's easy to overlook his evilness most of the time and even cheer him on. I'm in complete agreement with Chosen of Asmodeus's assessment of the character.
Chosen of Asmodeus Posted - 29 Oct 2012 : 23:38:10
The thing about Jarlaxle is that he isn't as malicious, petty, or sadistic as the typical drow, but he is every bit as ruthless and, as BEAST put it, callous. He's ultimately an extreme capitalist- he reminds me of Rockefeller in a way. Cultivates a good public persona, but the man would put thousands of his own employees out of work to hurt his competition.

I don't think Jarlaxle is a sociopath, least not a complete one. I just think he fully subscribes to the concept of "a million is a statistic". He may feel bad about small scale betrayals- against Zak, against Artemis- but he doesn't give four thousand dead Luskers a second thought.

I also feel he enjoys power plays, but chooses different ways to display his power than the average drow, partly due to his lack of overt sadism. The average drow has no qualms about rape, for instance, but I doubt Jarlaxle would ever rape anyone. On the contrary, he'd charm his way into their bed. By charming them he's manipulating them, he's exerting power over them- just not physically. Jarlaxle enjoys subterfuge and manipulation as his expressions of power, which is why he prefers to be the man behind the man instead of the man himself.
Chosen of Asmodeus Posted - 29 Oct 2012 : 23:09:45
I'd still rate Entreri as an anti-villain. There's sympathetic qualities to his backstory, but he's still a cold blooded killer with little regard for humanoid life.

Its funny; I haven't read the Sellswords yet- keep meaning too, haven't gotten around to it. But a good friend of mine said the books completely ruined Jarlaxle and Entreri as characters for him.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 29 Oct 2012 : 22:33:41
I used to hate Entreri, but he grew on me in the Sellswords trilogy, and I've always loved Jarlaxle. Entreri is more of an anti-hero to me than Jarlaxle is. Honestly, I don't know -how- to label Jarlaxle sometimes. He sort of plays his own game, which adds to his character. If nothing else, he makes me laugh.
Chosen of Asmodeus Posted - 29 Oct 2012 : 22:25:34
There's nothing wrong with that; there's nothing wrong with rooting for the villain. Villains are often far more interesting than heroes. That's always been my greatest criticism towards RAS; by and large, he writes weak villains, and he can write good ones when he tries.

Obould is my favorite character he's ever written for, but I don't try and paint the man as a saint. He did many horrible things, many brutal things. But he's still a fascinating character.

So yea, feel free to love villains, anti-villains, anti-heroes. Just don't deny what they are.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 29 Oct 2012 : 22:05:55
Ironically, and in spite of all the things he's done, Jarlaxle remains one of my favorite characters.
Chosen of Asmodeus Posted - 29 Oct 2012 : 10:34:55
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

It's possible, but at the same time I wouldn't put it passed Jarlaxle to sell out Entreri to the Shades if he had run afoul of them, or even just to make a business deal.

I keep wanting to believe that Jarlaxle is capable of some genuine, altruistic goodness (like remaining loyal to Entreri even after the assassin turned on him), but I can't help but notice that The Pirate King took place after Road of the Patriarch. So Jar was still an evil, callous SOB, even after his adventure with Entreri. (Hells--what if he ruined Luskan in part because of the fallout of his adventure with Entreri?! What if he was just so mad that he simply wanted to break something? ) Therefore, I can't really trust him, to this day. On the contrary, I suspect alterior motives behind every little thing he does. He makes my skin crawl.

And yet, I still love to read about him!

To be fair, it's possible he didn't realize giving the Shadovar Charon's Claw would include Artemis as a package deal at the time he "sold" it- I don't take the Shadovar as the kind to let someone back out of a deal once it's been entered into, and Jarlaxle probably wouldn't, anyway. So he might have had some guilt or remorse about it. But he'd still do it. He's a businessman first and foremost.
BEAST Posted - 29 Oct 2012 : 04:10:46
quote:
Originally posted by Sightless

He helped it along, but every thing I read let me to believe that it was something that the one pirat captain thought out. The dwarf was working as a bodyguard and spy to make sure things went according to plains, but I have every belief that it was something that the one captain set in motion. Of course I could be taking the text a little too literally, when it is meant to be.

The pirate high captains were disorganized rapscallions who wanted to stick it to the Archmage Arcane and to pirate-hunter extraordinaire Deudermont, but they had no real plan as to how to do so. They were ripe for someone who did have such a plan, though: Jarlaxle.

High Captain Kensidan "The Crow" Borlann was the most sinister, scariest of the bunch, and so, he had the others' respect. That made him a logical focal point for Jarlaxle.

But recall how Jarlaxle has worked in the past. In Servant of the Shard, he backed Entreri in a campaign to take over the Basadoni Guild in Calimport. In Road of the Patriarch, he prodded Entreri into declaring himself ruler over Vaasa. And I have a vague notion that Jarlaxle may have even propped up Zaknafein as the original figurehead of Bregan D'aerthe, only to betray him and take over the leadership position from him when the drow weapons master's morals proved problematic to Jar's pragmatism and opportunism.

And Jarlaxle has repeatedly put Kimmuriel in nominal charge of the organization over the last century in the Realms, whenever the official leader has gotten bored of the routine matters of leadership, or stumbled across some intriguing mystery.

Jarlaxle props others up to lead practically as often as he actively takes the lead, himself. It's a good tactic for putting others in the line of fire instead of himself, as well as for freeing himself up to see to other, more interesting matters. But one should never doubt that he continues to be behind the scenes, pulling the strings that make things happen. One of his unofficial D&D character classes must--seriously--be Puppetmaster.

And as to The Crow being called the Pirate King, remember that overt leadership positions get the limelight, but oftentimes it is the support personnel in the wings who do the most work, and sometimes, they even wield more power on a practical level. (Consider a political campaign advisor or chief of staff to a US president, for example.) Seen in this light, maybe we should reconsider who ought to really hold the title, "The Pirate King": Kensidan, or Jarlaxle . . .
BEAST Posted - 29 Oct 2012 : 03:58:36
quote:

It's possible, but at the same time I wouldn't put it passed Jarlaxle to sell out Entreri to the Shades if he had run afoul of them, or even just to make a business deal.

I keep wanting to believe that Jarlaxle is capable of some genuine, altruistic goodness (like remaining loyal to Entreri even after the assassin turned on him), but I can't help but notice that The Pirate King took place after Road of the Patriarch. So Jar was still an evil, callous SOB, even after his adventure with Entreri. (Hells--what if he ruined Luskan in part because of the fallout of his adventure with Entreri?! What if he was just so mad that he simply wanted to break something? ) Therefore, I can't really trust him, to this day. On the contrary, I suspect alterior motives behind every little thing he does. He makes my skin crawl.

And yet, I still love to read about him!
BEAST Posted - 29 Oct 2012 : 03:53:23
quote:
Originally posted by Entromancer

However, it is possible that Charon's Claw was implanting false memories of Jarlaxle to turn Entreri against him. I imagine the sword would be afraid of someone as clever as Jarlaxle.

It's possible, but I don't think there's any need to resort to magical brainwashing. Entreri has displayed a tendency to convince himself of whatever, since his earliest days. He thought that he had run away from Memnon to Calimport ("The Third Level"), apparently because that helped to puff up his ego, but the reality is that he had been sold into slavery and then only subsequently escaped (Road of the Patriarch). He held some vague affection for his long-lost mother, when in fact she was the one who had sold him. He convinced himself that he needed no friends, but was actually stronger for simply placing his trust in his sword skills. Entreri believes all sorts of stuff without having the facts straight. So methinks that he probably convinced himself that Jarlaxle must've been behind his becoming ensnared with the Shadovar.
Sightless Posted - 29 Oct 2012 : 02:40:15
quote:

quote:

quote:

While I like Jarlaxle as a character, I consider him to be a very amoral individual. He is the guy who set in motion a war that decimated Luskan and proceeded to bleed the city dry for the next century. He'd sell out Artemis in a heartbeat.

He helped it along, but every thing I read let me to believe that it was something that the one pirat captain thought out. The dwarf was working as a bodyguard and spy to make sure things went according to plains, but I have every belief that it was something that the one captain set in motion. Of course I could be taking the text a little too literally, when it is meant to be.

To me, it was obvious that Jarlaxle was pulling the strings and playing all the sides against each other. He's the one who arranged for Deudermont to overhear the evidence that lead him against Luskan to begin with, he backed the Crow and let him think he was pulling the strings, he worked with Greeth and pushed him in the right direction. He had Athrogate work along side the captains, killing one when he became inconvenient.

Jarlaxle didn't plan out every step of the war in the Pirate King, but he set events in motion and continued pulling strings to perpetuate conflict and undermine Deudermont's rule- the only chance for peace the city had once things got started. He may not have cared which of the captains ended up in charge- he was backing the Crow most strongly but he'd have been happy to manipulate whoever stood tall at the end of the day, so long as Deudermont wasn't that man.

In the mean time, four thousand men, women, and children died in the fighting, families starved and froze to death, and in the end Luskan deteriorated into the literal cesspool it is today.

Oh, and he forced a woman into sexual slavery to incentivise the Crow, and taunted her father with it in The Ghost King.

And when it's all said and done, he lies to Drizzt's face about his involvement and suffers no consequences for it.

Jarlaxle's a very cunning and charming character. Maybe too charming; charming enough to convince the readers that he isn't as horrible a person as he really is.

Oh don't get me wrong, I want him to die a slow misrable death, after his organization is either totally and irreversably destroyed, or completely removed from out of his hands, in such a way so that he can never get it back. I want him to feel utterly trapped and utterly helpless alone in a prison of his own making, and then he can die.

And you know what, he and Zak might be spitting distence to being even.

That last is a joke.

Chosen of Asmodeus Posted - 29 Oct 2012 : 00:54:30
quote:

quote:

While I like Jarlaxle as a character, I consider him to be a very amoral individual. He is the guy who set in motion a war that decimated Luskan and proceeded to bleed the city dry for the next century. He'd sell out Artemis in a heartbeat.

To me, it was obvious that Jarlaxle was pulling the strings and playing all the sides against each other. He's the one who arranged for Deudermont to overhear the evidence that lead him against Luskan to begin with, he backed the Crow and let him think he was pulling the strings, he worked with Greeth and pushed him in the right direction. He had Athrogate work along side the captains, killing one when he became inconvenient.

Jarlaxle didn't plan out every step of the war in the Pirate King, but he set events in motion and continued pulling strings to perpetuate conflict and undermine Deudermont's rule- the only chance for peace the city had once things got started. He may not have cared which of the captains ended up in charge- he was backing the Crow most strongly but he'd have been happy to manipulate whoever stood tall at the end of the day, so long as Deudermont wasn't that man.

In the mean time, four thousand men, women, and children died in the fighting, families starved and froze to death, and in the end Luskan deteriorated into the literal cesspool it is today.

Oh, and he forced a woman into sexual slavery to incentivise the Crow, and taunted her father with it in The Ghost King.

And when it's all said and done, he lies to Drizzt's face about his involvement and suffers no consequences for it.

Jarlaxle's a very cunning and charming character. Maybe too charming; charming enough to convince the readers that he isn't as horrible a person as he really is.
charger_ss24 Posted - 29 Oct 2012 : 00:40:03
quote:

quote:

Would this be Beniago you're talking about? He does have a jeweled dagger that looks similar to the one Artemis used to wield.
Sightless Posted - 28 Oct 2012 : 23:59:38
quote:

Chosen of Asmodeus Posted - 28 Oct 2012 : 23:28:42

Entromancer Posted - 28 Oct 2012 : 23:13:03
Inovindil or something like that. I held the same opinion of Jarlaxle, Chosen. However, it is possible that Charon's Claw was implanting false memories of Jarlaxle to turn Entreri against him. I imagine the sword would be afraid of someone as clever as Jarlaxle.
Chosen of Asmodeus Posted - 28 Oct 2012 : 20:57:02
quote:
I do not like Dahlia, though. I feel sorry for her, and I think what she went through is terrible, but that does not make me like her. I do not like her character, nor do I like the affect she has had on Drizzt. I do not hate her, I just don't like her. I'd rather have the Companions of the Hall. I'm kind of glad for Entreri's return. Now, if only Jarlaxle would appear again...

Yea, don't get me wrong, as much as I say I hope we move on and explore new characters, Dahlia is definitely not the direction I think we should be going in. When she debuted in Gauntlgrym I don't think I had ever hated a fictional character more than her, at least one in an actual published work as opposed to a high school fanfiction or world of warcraft roleplay profile. Charon's Claw did a lot to improve my opinion of her, but I'm still hoping she gets put on a bus at the end of this trilogy.

On the other hand, I'll give her a few positive points. When it was clear Bob was going to turn her into Drizzt's new love interest I was glad she wasn't just a Catti clone and was about as different from Catti as you can get. I liked that she actually had a character of her own as opposed to that elf he had a kind of thing with during the Hunter's Blades trilogy who was so flat and one dimensional that I honestly cannot remember her name(I think it started with an I?), so that's a plus.

Still, horribly unlikable character, though she's seeing some improvement I don't think she'll ever get to the point where I'd want to see her as a mainstay.

quote:
Originally posted by jornan

Now Jarlaxle, Drizzt, and Entreri. That would be a fun team to see together...and Zaknafien. haha

The problem being that Entreri would almost certainly try and kill Jarlaxle if he ever sees him again. And it's kind of hard to say he wouldn't deserve it.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 28 Oct 2012 : 19:40:15
@Sightless: some realism is good, yes (otherwise, no one would read the story). I don't like my stories to be all happy and full of lambs and bunnies. That would get boring real fast. Characters die, just as real people do. Bruenor's death, while saddening, wasn't as anti-climatic as Catti and Regis'. He found Gauntrlgrym, something he'd always wanting. I understand that people can die suddenly, but...I don't know, I was really miffed about the death of Catti and Regis. No offense to Bob, but it almost seemed like he was trying to just get them out of the way. I'm probably going to get disagreements from that comment, but that's how I saw it. It wasn't very fulfilling, IMO. The Spellplague came along, and since Catti'brie practiced magic, "zap!" Then Regis got...stuck in the crossfire so to speak. I don't know, just felt cheap to me. But, I guess heroes don't always get heroic death.

@Charger: a spiritual interaction between Zak and Drizzt would be interesting. I think Drizzt needs a glimpse of his father again. And I'd like to know where that guy's soul is!

@Zireal: I just don't like the effect Dahlia has had on him. Seems a bit negative, and he more seems to lust after her than he does love her, not like he did Catti-brie. *shrug* I'm just not a fan of their relationship.
Tanthalas Posted - 28 Oct 2012 : 17:25:54
The only 2 companions that I can live with coming back are Catti-Brie and Regis. Technically it was Mielliki that killed them and their deaths sucked.

But bringing back Bruenor and Wulfgar is really offputting. Both of them already had their heroic deaths.

And will they be brought back young again instead of at the age that they died? Catti-Brie was already 46 when she died, would she be brought back in her prime again? Wulfgar and even Bruenor have the same issues. Bringing them back as their young selves just feels too much like the author meddling to get what he wants instead of telling a proper story.
charger_ss24 Posted - 28 Oct 2012 : 16:41:29
quote:

I know escapism is a part of every fantasy, but I for one like a little reality in my fantasy. In other words, sometimes the villian wins, like in the Pirate King; sometimes terrible things happen to good people that are completely undeserved, sometimes horrible things that they have to live with and they can't escape from; etc. So for me, bringing back the companions would be a bad move. They died, some of them didn't get the attention by the author they might have deserved, some of them didn't get the kinds of deaths perhaps they deserved, but bringing them back would cheepin it all for me just far too much. Yes, I know reseractions can occur in FR, but to me it should be something rear, and it should be something the soul can refuse. I'd rather Bob move on craft a different group for Drizzt. And while I have mixed feelings for the group he is with, but at least it is rather different in feel from the old campions. I also don't think that Drizzt should stay with this group either. I think that Bob can do more than simply create another "companions," or bring back the old "companions". I also think that stories, just as compelling, could be crafted with having events move on.

I totally agree that the bad guy should win once in a while like in the Pirate King, I mean, it can't all be puppies and ice cream with the good guys winning all the time. Bad things happen to good people all the time and these books should reflect that from time to time.

I'm rather torn on the path that Drizzt should take. One one hand, I would love to see him strike off on his own with Guen at his side again (assuming he gets her back), sort of starting his life anew as Innovindil talked to him about living life in shorter spans. On the other hand, how badass a group would Drizzt, Jarlaxle, Artemis and Athrogate make? That said, I just don't the group would mesh between Drizzt and the rest of the crew, specifically, Artemis.

I just hope that Bob lets the Companions rest in peace, as well as Zak. What's done is done, though I wouldn't mind a spiritual interaction between Zak and Drizzt once down the road, maybe if Drizzt had a near-death experience or such.
Sightless Posted - 28 Oct 2012 : 14:09:18
I know escapism is a part of every fantasy, but I for one like a little reality in my fantasy. In other words, sometimes the villian wins, like in the Pirate King; sometimes terrible things happen to good people that are completely undeserved, sometimes horrible things that they have to live with and they can't escape from; etc. So for me, bringing back the companions would be a bad move. They died, some of them didn't get the attention by the author they might have deserved, some of them didn't get the kinds of deaths perhaps they deserved, but bringing them back would cheepin it all for me just far too much. Yes, I know reseractions can occur in FR, but to me it should be something rear, and it should be something the soul can refuse. I'd rather Bob move on craft a different group for Drizzt. And while I have mixed feelings for the group he is with, but at least it is rather different in feel from the old campions. I also don't think that Drizzt should stay with this group either. I think that Bob can do more than simply create another "companions," or bring back the old "companions". I also think that stories, just as compelling, could be crafted with having events move on.

Naturally, I expect others to disagree, as we each have different views of the Realms, but this is my opinion on the matter.
Zireael Posted - 28 Oct 2012 : 13:14:14
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

Yes! It would be cool to have Zak back in the game. I'd really like to know where his soul went. His spirit told Drizzt he was in a good place, but I'd like to know where that place it. There's been speculation it's in Iraduun (sp?), and that would be cool, but the only ones RAS has mentioned are there are the Companions.

I agree completely.

What is that about Drizzt and Dahlia?
CorellonsDevout Posted - 28 Oct 2012 : 03:12:19
Yes! It would be cool to have Zak back in the game. I'd really like to know where his soul went. His spirit told Drizzt he was in a good place, but I'd like to know where that place it. There's been speculation it's in Iraduun (sp?), and that would be cool, but the only ones RAS has mentioned are there are the Companions.
jornan Posted - 28 Oct 2012 : 02:29:36
Now Jarlaxle, Drizzt, and Entreri. That would be a fun team to see together...and Zaknafien. haha
CorellonsDevout Posted - 27 Oct 2012 : 05:23:01
Yes, one of the things, at least to me, is the great thing about fantasy is that the characters CAN have heroic deaths. They don't have to die in "freak accidents" or anything like so many do irl. I was disappointed by a way a lot of the characters died. Nor do I like the way Drizzt's character has progressed. I am quite aware that people change, but I do not like the change that has come over Drizzt. He's become lustful and just...drow-like hehe. But then again, Drizzt himself has speculated on this very matter. He wonders about his new thrill of battle (he's always had it to some extent, but yeah), and he is trying to make sense of his new world. I understand it, and maybe this is the direction Bob wants to go, but it does not mean I like it. Still, I will read the Drizzt books because I want to know the ending, and I still like Drizzt.

I do not like Dahlia, though. I feel sorry for her, and I think what she went through is terrible, but that does not make me like her. I do not like her character, nor do I like the affect she has had on Drizzt. I do not hate her, I just don't like her. I'd rather have the Companions of the Hall. I'm kind of glad for Entreri's return. Now, if only Jarlaxle would appear again...
Corrupteddragon Posted - 26 Oct 2012 : 20:20:29
From Bob's quote it appears they are coming back. I am pretty disappointed in that actually. While I love his books, I really liked that the "endings" for some of the characters were abrupt. Sure, none of them were the picture perfect endings....but I liked that it was somewhat more "realistic" in that not every ending is happy or has a fulfilling conclusion.
Bringing them all back just sets the series back IMHO. I liked that Drizzt was forced to move onto new areas and new relationships. Now it's just going to go back to the status quo, with the same people who all just so happened to have amazing luck and beaten death.
Chosen of Asmodeus Posted - 18 Oct 2012 : 08:30:51
Out of all of them I think Cadderly's death was y favorite. One of my favorite themes is "no victory without sacrifice", so I liked it considerably.

I also felt that while Catti was wasted before her death(turn her into a wizard, do nothing with her), it served a purpose. She'd be dead by the timejump, regardless, and Drizzt needed to have been personally affected by the spellplague; it needed to have taken something from him. Regis, eh, that was pointless but oh well.

I'd also like to believe that Zak is currently being torn apart by spiders in the Demonweb, or slowly melting into a wall. There are consequences for not following the tenets of a god or not worshiping one at all. No good deed goes unpunished.

Over all, I'd like it if they all stay dead. The only one who I'd say didn't get a fitting death was Regis, but if suffering that is the price to pay for the rest staying dead, I can live with it.

I'd like to move on, explore new characters, new themes, life after your friends have passed on- that should be an important aspect if you're writing about an elf. He's going to outlive the people around him, just a fact of life. I don't want Drizzt getting special treatment because "its sad". Losing people you love is part of life, even in a world with ressurection spells. It's cheap, and it takes away from the quality of the story.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 18 Oct 2012 : 04:59:15
The idea of him being in Iruldoon is a good one, but RAS should have mentioned it, IMO. Still, there is room for the possibilty. I would not be adverse to Zak coming to Drizzt at the end of his life and taking him to the respective afterlife, saying something like "welcome son". I love Drizzt, but I sometimes get the impression RAS is getting tired of writing about him. He'll probably kill him off sometime *sniffles* but it'd be nice if he was reunited with both his father and CotH. Maybe that's asking too much, but I am a complete sap and like my fluffy endings (though that rarely happens). Still, I would like him to see Zak again (and in a good place). They both deserve it.

I was angered by Cadderly's death, and I agree, Charger, he deserves better. Yeah, you could argue he's serving a good purpose by keeping the Ghost King at bay, but...meh. It seems like ever since Hunter's Blades trilogy, a lot of characters have been killed. A right hand of Deneir would please me, and if the Sundering, as is rumored, brings back the gods, then maybe we'll see that? Oghma could have taken Cadderly in, even.

But this is all just me crossing my fingers and being a hopeless romantic and sap.
charger_ss24 Posted - 18 Oct 2012 : 00:45:42
quote:
Originally posted by jornan

I would much rather see Zaknafein be in Iruldoon and come back from the dead with the Sundering than ANY of the dead CotH. Even Cadderly coming back would be better than the CotH. I'm by no means a heter, but I am satisfied with all of their lives and deaths. Some had better and more fullfilling deaths than others, but death isn't always supposed to be meaningful or chosen...sometimes it just happens and in ways that are random and senseless.

For the most part, I share your views on these individuals. Just not sure about Zak. I think we'll see Zak again before Drizzt's life is all said and done. As for Cadderly, he deserves much better, though I don't think he has a problem keeping the Ghost King at bay for all of eternity. This Sundering could make anything happen, being such a powerful mortal as he was, I would like to see Cadderly get his just due and achieve a bit of divinity, perhaps even be the right-hand man of Denier.

Just my $3.55 worth in gas.
jornan Posted - 17 Oct 2012 : 21:55:17
I would much rather see Zaknafein be in Iruldoon and come back from the dead with the Sundering than ANY of the dead CotH. Even Cadderly coming back would be better than the CotH. I'm by no means a heter, but I am satisfied with all of their lives and deaths. Some had better and more fullfilling deaths than others, but death isn't always supposed to be meaningful or chosen...sometimes it just happens and in ways that are random and senseless.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000