Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 What Condition Is Your Realms Collection In?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jhoebryn Posted - 16 May 2009 : 22:13:38
I have been reading Realms novels since Darkwalker on Moonshae showed up in the late 80's. Many of the novels I have are the original releases I bought then. I am very careful when I read novels and very little (if any) spine creasing can be seen.

I have collected almost all of the novels - I am missing less than a dozen. Of course, included in the ones I am missing are Netheril and Lost Empires sets. I am having a hard time finding those in Like new condition.

Are all of your collections in 'Like New' condition? If you were looking for the same novels I am, would you purchase used copies that might have some spine creasing, etc. just to obtain the missing novel? Would you be willing to spend $6-$8 on a 'Very Good' copy of these novels? I am trying to decide if I am being unrealistic in holding out to find 'Like new' copies of these two sets of novels.

Also, how many of you purchase the different versions of re-releases (for example the many Drizzt versions, the new reissued Giants or Moonshae series, the Threats omnibus)? Is there new content in any of these that makes them worth purchasing again?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
canikoblivan Posted - 14 Jul 2009 : 13:00:01
Most of my collection is in mint condition with a few exceptions like the Empires Trilogy, the Finder's Stone Trilogy and a couple of Harpers novels. I'm missing only 26 novels from the entire FR novel line.
Teloriun Posted - 12 Jul 2009 : 11:02:49
All my current books were bought new and apart from Pools of Radiance (spine crinkle by my ex, grr), I would like to classify my books as 'near new'. I take great pride in my books, FR or otherwise...

Of course, having not read any FR books for the last 10 years, there's a fair chance that i'll struggle to get the missing novels in an "as new / mint" condition...that's if i manage to get them at all :(
cephet Posted - 26 Jun 2009 : 10:39:11
quote:
Originally posted by Sousinne

I have bought most of my FR books new, since I started up with... umm... Elfshadow, I think was the first I bought myself. I have decided not to go with some series, such as Drizzt books after Passage to Dawn

Yeah, I stopped with Drizzt at Passage of Dawn too.

quote:
Originally posted by Sousinne

I have different tastes in condition of books from you guys, though. If the book is not made harder to read, some wear and tear improves the reading experience (Yes, I know, sacrilege. =) ) I often keep the books in my pants pockets, in a big backpack with other things, or the like. This has made for an eminently readable collection that feels very much like me. When I go book hunting, I enjoy finding books that look well-read, as long as they don't have any loose pages or the like. I am especially fond of age-yellowed pages in a book.

Ooh, backpacks.. *shudders* I do agree with you on the age-yellowed pages though, makes me think of the book as some ancient tome. The older the book, the more precious IMO.
Sousinne Posted - 25 Jun 2009 : 20:24:12
I have bought most of my FR books new, since I started up with... umm... Elfshadow, I think was the first I bought myself. I have decided not to go with some series, such as Drizzt books after Passage to Dawn, the two big drow series. Guess drow aren't a selling point for me. Otherwise, I have more or less a complete collection.

I have different tastes in condition of books from you guys, though. If the book is not made harder to read, some wear and tear improves the reading experience (Yes, I know, sacrilege. =) ) I often keep the books in my pants pockets, in a big backpack with other things, or the like. This has made for an eminently readable collection that feels very much like me. When I go book hunting, I enjoy finding books that look well-read, as long as they don't have any loose pages or the like. I am especially fond of age-yellowed pages in a book.
Stranjer Posted - 21 Jun 2009 : 03:22:09
my realms collection is varied. Since I don't have much disposable income, and hadn't found a place to purchase used books(don't much care for online shopping, but I'll look into it), Had contented myself with whatever local bookstores could order for me. 90% of those that I bought new have no creases in the spine, but I can't say I try to keep in pristine condition. I got the books to be read, if i really liked the book(or happen upon interesting lore in it) I want the book to be re-readable many years from now. So the effort I put into not creasing spine is more out of the fact I dont want the book to divide itself, then scatter.

At first I hadn't been taking notes on anything, but now that I am being asked more and more from friends to run games or to aid in lore for theirs(keep lending him books but he is such a slow reader) I think I might want to. I know I have at least 15 or so books from recent trips to local bookstore that I need to read, so trying to re-read all the books i find relevant is getting hard to keep up with. And not to mention I still haven't started reading non-realms fantasy yet, figured I'd catch up on the realms first.

Speaking of copies of Spellfire stolen, where'd mine go... *goes to look through boxes*
Zapato Posted - 17 Jun 2009 : 10:55:48
Most of the novels I've bought were in perfect condition, because I either got lucky and found a copy of it in a bookstore (instead of buying used books on Amazon or Ebay). Or I bought the reprinted version of the book brand new (the advantage of not having read so many FR novels yet).

Problem is that most of them are paperback, so after I've read them they also get those ugly cracks down the spine from opening it several times. No other problems though.

What does bothers me about me collection though. Is that although I'm very proud of my "Avatar" novels, I couldn't get a copy of "Shadowdale" in the reprinted version. So I had to buy that one with the original cover (wich is like a thorn in my eye every time I look at the series on my bookshelf since the new covers form more of a 'set').
Jorkens Posted - 17 Jun 2009 : 09:31:42
This brings back forgotten memories. Spellfire was the last book I ever loaned to anyone, and I never got it back either.

As for keeping books, I am even worse than Kuje. I think I have every book I ever read somewhere in the shelves here, except for a few children's books I got rid of as a teenager. I have almost managed to find all of these again by now. Looking around the living room I almost dread our planned moving in the near future. Being a compulsive collector comes with a price.
The Sage Posted - 14 Jun 2009 : 11:05:09
quote:
Originally posted by cephet

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I instituted a "no-loaning" policy for my FR books about 10 years ago, after a friend lost my prized first edition copy of Spellfire at the bus station. Apparently.

Hmm.. you sure he didn't steal it?

I've always assumed that may have indeed been the case. I don't have any evidence, and even now, years later, he still maintains that he simply "forgot it" after rushing for a late bus.

Regardless, it's too late for me to do anything about it now. Though I've made sure that he's allowed nowhere near my FR library when he visits. I may not have any evidence, as I said, but I have my suspicions.
cephet Posted - 14 Jun 2009 : 08:40:50
quote:

I instituted a "no-loaning" policy for my FR books about 10 years ago, after a friend lost my prized first edition copy of Spellfire at the bus station. Apparently.

Hmm.. you sure he didn't steal it?
Kuje Posted - 12 Jun 2009 : 18:12:37
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

And I'd want to make sure that the person(s) who took the novel would take care of it. Yes, I'm a bit anal about books. :)

Since that time, I've made it clear to all my friends and associates that if they wish to borrow anything from my FR library, they have to read it at my house. This way, I can ensure the book stays in my possession.

HAHHA. That's funny. :) But I could see myself using that same policy.
The Sage Posted - 12 Jun 2009 : 17:28:21
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

And I'd want to make sure that the person(s) who took the novel would take care of it. Yes, I'm a bit anal about books. :)

Since that time, I've made it clear to all my friends and associates that if they wish to borrow anything from my FR library, they have to read it at my house. This way, I can ensure the book stays in my possession.
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 12 Jun 2009 : 16:56:01
Mostly electronic, save for a collection of maps, cardstock and some books.
Kuje Posted - 12 Jun 2009 : 16:39:05
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Quale

don't know where my novels are, once I read it, it's over

in the library, attic, friends that never return stuff, who cares

I don't think I could ever be so lackadaisical with my novels. I've got to know where they're stored, and if they're stored properly/safely.

Indeed. I'd upset me to give away a novel, which is why my list keeps growing and why I have over one thousand novels. And I'd want to make sure that the person(s) who took the novel would take care of it. Yes, I'm a bit anal about books. :)
The Sage Posted - 12 Jun 2009 : 16:13:56
quote:

there are some novels of which I'll always have one copy among other fantasy classics, like the Finder's Stone books or Evermeet

I've always got Ed's FR novels close at hand, mostly because I like to re-read certain portions every now and then for any Ed-lore that I might have missed previously.
The Sage Posted - 12 Jun 2009 : 16:12:48
quote:

I don't think I could ever be so lackadaisical with my novels. I've got to know where they're stored, and if they're stored properly/safely.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 12 Jun 2009 : 15:59:05
quote:

that's horrible, at least you're purged, if that's comforting

*shrugs* I could rail and complain and be miserable, or I can move on with my life and see where losing everything did have some benefits. By nature, I roll with the punches, so the latter option is what I did.

Besides, it could have been a lot worse... Everything was in storage, and it was the storage place that burned down. If I had to choose a way to lose everything, I don't think I could come up with a better method.
Quale Posted - 12 Jun 2009 : 15:25:35
that's horrible, at least you're purged, if that's comforting

there are some novels of which I'll always have one copy among other fantasy classics, like the Finder's Stone books or Evermeet
Wooly Rupert Posted - 12 Jun 2009 : 14:40:47
quote:

I'm obviously the other way... I've not gotten rid of my only copy of a novel in years, unless I really didn't like it. Even if I didn't think I was ever going to read it again, I still kept it.

...Though losing all of my novels in the fire did simplify things somewhat. Now that I'm in replacement mode, I can forgo some of the titles that I didn't care for but held on to for various reasons.

Heh, and with that in mind, I can sum up, in one word, the condition of my original FR collection: ash.
Quale Posted - 12 Jun 2009 : 11:16:10

BEAST Posted - 10 Jun 2009 : 17:11:17
quote:
Originally posted by Jhoebryn

What Condition Is Your Realms Collection In?

Ummm, my Realms are . . . Forgotten ™.

OK, sorry about that. Couldn't resist. I'll shut up, now.
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 10 Jun 2009 : 14:56:39
Aside from the books I bought 2nd-hand and Shadowdale, I think, they are in near-mint condition...as are most other books I ever bought... game-books are treated well, but you know the tabel, eh?

Tho there's only 2 more Realms-books I'll buy and then be done with it, mainly because I have enough to last a couple of years and there's so much other reading material out there...
cephet Posted - 09 Jun 2009 : 02:28:39
My collection started quite recently, being only a few months old. It's slowly growing when I have spare money to buy a new book that I want to read.

Echoing what others have said, if a book is no longer in print I'll be happy to have it in a rather abused condition and hope I can find one of better quality later on. As for my new books, I read each page very carefully trying not to crease the spine of the book. The books I've read only have very, very, very little creases on the spine which can't really be prevented. Besides, most people would require a magnifying glass to see it and I comfort myself with the idea that a little wear on a book makes it look loved.

As for friends borrowing books... no way in hell. My collection is rather secret to be honest; I don't talk to my friends about it, though that's more to do with their lack of interest in the Realms than me actively trying to keep it secret. I won't let my brother read the books because I've inspected the spines of the books he reads and I was horrified by the look of the creases in his books. He doesn't dog ear pages, which is good, but he has a little way to go before he can get his hands on my collection. I also have to wash my hands and dry them well before I touch any of my books... stinks of OCD but oh well.

I probably take the condition of the collection a little too far, but at least it's in good condition, and hopefully will be for years to come.
Kajehase Posted - 24 May 2009 : 11:34:04
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Thank you, I'll be here all week
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 22 May 2009 : 18:45:49
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Post-it notes are your friends.

Indeed! A handy way to leave markings without regret.

quote:
Of course, if the book is bad I'll just write in it anyway in the hope I'll manage to make it more interesting.

Kajehase Posted - 22 May 2009 : 11:52:47
Post-it notes are your friends. They can be used as bookmarks to avoid dog-ears, and they can remove the need to keep a notebook close at hand.

Of course, if the book is bad I'll just write in it anyway in the hope I'll manage to make it more interesting.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 22 May 2009 : 04:04:24
quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

I take it none of y'all make marginal notes, paste in addendums and home made indices, pencil in corrections when errata are published, and so on? Questions to ask the author, comments and idle thoughts about the content, character lists? Most of my books, from novels to textbooks, to gaming rules, look very "worked with."

I can't bear to write in any books I own, LOL.
Jhoebryn Posted - 21 May 2009 : 18:14:54
Well I have managed to plug just about all of the holes in my Realms collection via Amazon zShops, eBay and half.com.

I have received the following:

Baldur's Gate II: Shadow of Amn $6.50 (like new)
Face of Deception $4.00 (very gently used - great shape)
The Nether Scroll $7 (minor spine crease otherwise in very good shape)
Murder in Halruaa $17 (hardcover - looks unread)
Sword Play $9 (like new)
Dangerous Games $4 (very gently used - in very good shape)
Mortal Consequences $10 (like new)
Thornhold $7 (brand new and unread - ordered it with the Harpers artwork to complete that series)
Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor $6 (like new)

These have been ordered/won and I am awaiting arrival (all are supposed to be very good to like new with no spine creasing):

Once Around the Realms $4.25
Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal $$10
Star of Cursrah $5
Black Wizards $4.25 (lost my original copy)
Council of Blades $6
Elfshadow $4.50 (ordered it with the Harpers artwork to complete that series)

I averaged $6.25 per paperback (not including the one hardcover). All prices above included shipping. I am just missing "The Lost Library of Cormanthyr" and the Double Diamond series (not sure I care to get the DD series). I did get a copy of "The Lost Library of Cormanthyr" that was advertised as "Like New" but the spine had been destroyed with creases so that went back.

All in all a good haul!!!!!
The Sage Posted - 21 May 2009 : 16:56:21
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

I regret it sometimes, but meh, I could always maybe hit you up for copies of your notes LOL j/k
Heh. I keep saying I'm going to start typing up my notebooks and making electronic copies of them.

Just another thing to add to my infamous "To-Do" list.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 21 May 2009 : 16:03:14
I had a lot of notes I'd taken, when reading various books... Most of mine, though, were along the lines of a book and page number, some greatly summarized blurb of what was of interest, and a note along the lines of "this is great!" or "much potential -- do something with!"

Sadly, all of those notes were in notebooks that were in the fire.
Alisttair Posted - 21 May 2009 : 14:45:57
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

I take it none of y'all make marginal notes, paste in addendums and home made indices, pencil in corrections when errata are published, and so on? Questions to ask the author, comments and idle thoughts about the content, character lists? Most of my books, from novels to textbooks, to gaming rules, look very "worked with."

It depends on the book. If I've got important stuff to add/write to a particular book [for campaign purposes or whatever], then I'll likely go out and purchase a second copy if it's still in print. Otherwise, I just usually set aside a small notebook while I'm reading a novel or tome, which I use to scribble down notes, questions, thoughts, and any other mental meanderings that occur to me while I'm reading the book. I'll usually paste any addendums into the notebooks themselves, rather than the actual physical copy of the book.

Of course, the down side to this habit, is that I'm slowly being drowned in a sea of notebooks -- each of which are attached to their own individual source in my vast library. I'm rapidly running out of room!

I used to but I lost the habit of it. I take notes with the playing books, but the novels, I figure at this point, I haven't taken notes for all of them (often couldn't anyways) so I don't bother. I regret it sometimes, but meh, I could always maybe hit you up for copies of your notes LOL j/k

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000