Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Monsters of Faerun

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Clive Posted - 24 Apr 2007 : 09:02:16
I have bought every single new Realms product available. Many of them List Monsters of Faerun as a source book. Yet it is out of print and Wizards seems to have no plans to reprint it. I feel to list it a source book in new products like Unnaproachable East and then say it is out of print and wont be printed in the future is a bit bogus. I looked to see if I could buy a pdf, no go, in any case the art work of these products makes a pdf undesirable and expensive to print. Eventually out of desperation someone I new lent me their copy to photostat. I dont believe in pirating and have legimitaley spent hundreds of dollars on Realms Products. I know I can buy a copy on e-bay. However why should I be paying multiple times the cost for a second hand product listed as a resource in a new product. When these products were first released they listed Monsters of Faerun as a source, months after it was no longer available. I know I can buy copies on Amazon. However as they are not from Amazon.com but other companies listed on Amazon they will only ship to inside of America, bummer, I live in South Africa.

If anyone could help me with this problem with any information I would greatly appreciate it. Even if by some chance I am wrong about the ending dates of the issue of Monsters of Faerun being printed it still does not change the present problem.

Sincerely
Clive
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Hawkins Posted - 24 Oct 2007 : 18:29:19
Deep Dragons are detailed in Drow of the Underdark.
MerrikCale Posted - 10 Oct 2007 : 18:04:39
quote:
Originally posted by seankreynolds

Ever thought of buying the PDF? A little pricey (it still uses WotC's old method of selling PDFs at the print price) but if you can't find it any other way....

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=28491&it=1

pdf pale in comparison though to actually having the book
Aewrik Posted - 05 Oct 2007 : 20:05:21
Yeah, with 3e products, you can have most rulebooks on the computer, since you have to plan everything so meticulously.
When 4e comes, they'll probably drop the prices on 3e books.
seankreynolds Posted - 05 Oct 2007 : 16:47:56
Ever thought of buying the PDF? A little pricey (it still uses WotC's old method of selling PDFs at the print price) but if you can't find it any other way....

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=28491&it=1
SirUrza Posted - 10 Jun 2007 : 14:30:41
I'm so said about dragon. :(

So much for issue 251+ ever being released on cd/dvd.

MerrikCale Posted - 19 May 2007 : 20:29:05
quote:
Originally posted by Kes_Alanadel

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Which is reason enough for those Realms fans who may have missed important issues with FR content to start tracking them down now, because it's likely they'll start selling out fast once the license ends.

Aye, this is one of my grumbles. I wanted to get all 4 issues that had the giant maps, but alas, we didn't start subscribing until after these issues. When we went looking for them, Paizo was completely out of stock on the last issue, and we haven't been able to find it anywhere else.
~Kes

I hear. this is a bit of a problem
warlockco Posted - 27 Apr 2007 : 01:27:54
I found a place with a copy for $7 (used and on consignment), just I don't know if they will ship something that is on consignment. And I will admit that I didn't look at it beyond the price, since I already have my own copy.
There are also a number of 3E Dragonlance books on consignment too.
If anyone is interested, I can give the name of the store and the phone number.
warlockco Posted - 26 Apr 2007 : 08:00:59
Try Amazon.com also for items.
Reefy Posted - 25 Apr 2007 : 21:58:04
quote:

Nobleknight.com also occasionally trades in past issues of DRAGON.

I would say more than occasionally. I've bought Dragon via them, and other products besides. They come highly recommended from this scribe.
The Sage Posted - 25 Apr 2007 : 06:21:52
Nobleknight.com also occasionally trades in past issues of DRAGON.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 25 Apr 2007 : 05:33:25
quote:
Originally posted by Kes_Alanadel

quote:

Which is reason enough for those Realms fans who may have missed important issues with FR content to start tracking them down now, because it's likely they'll start selling out fast once the license ends.

Aye, this is one of my grumbles. I wanted to get all 4 issues that had the giant maps, but alas, we didn't start subscribing until after these issues. When we went looking for them, Paizo was completely out of stock on the last issue, and we haven't been able to find it anywhere else.
~Kes

I've seen them on eBay, a time or two. It's not something I'm generally on the lookout for...
Kes_Alanadel Posted - 25 Apr 2007 : 03:07:01
quote:

~Kes
The Sage Posted - 25 Apr 2007 : 01:38:34
Kuje Posted - 24 Apr 2007 : 18:44:49
Both TSR/WOTC does this, so its not like its something new. A lot of the current sourcebooks reference old sourcebooks or even Dragon articles. Once Dragon ends, that'll be even harder to find.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 24 Apr 2007 : 17:32:01
quote:
Originally posted by Clive

So far in my experience this is the only time Wizards have done this by quoting in a product an out of production book asa reference and leave all indications to a new purchaseer that same book can be purchased.

Nope. They did the same thing years ago, with repeated references to FR4 The Magister. Several products referenced it, but it wasn't, from what I can gather, in print for very long. And I know that until I discovered eBay, the product was very hard to find -- I once asked at Enterprise 1701 in Orlando (now known as Sci-Fi City), and they said that while they got copies in, there was a yearlong waiting list for them!

White Wolf did the same thing, with the product The Hunters Hunted.

If eBay isn't an option, I've heard good things about Nobleknight.com.
Clive Posted - 24 Apr 2007 : 12:39:51
i own all such products except for Draconomican. However I still feel that that makes it even more bogus. Now instead of getting the monsters in the one product quoted (which on reading throught the first 2 pages in a book store you would assume is available in print at the release time of the said book) you have to buy several more expensive products. And you (if you wanted to find the monsters) have access to a means of searching these products (i.e. owning them)to even know they had these monsters in them. Furthermore, there are amny monsters in the Monsters of Faerun NOT in these books. Secondaly they are not Faerun specific. In the copy of Monsters of Faerun I have (a bogus one but what other choice do I have, let Wizards provide me with the chance to purchase a new one and will at 25% extra just to "comensate" for having to use a photostat) there is much Realms specific info on each monster, especially on Liches and Beholders and Templates.

And finally, and most importantly, the Monsters of Faerun has a certain Realms graphic feel and the pictures for the monsters have a Realms feel, which the ones in the book of abberations definitely do not have. To be honest artwork in book of abberations scores a one star if the Realms product scores a 5 star for graphics.

No matter what way it is looked at it is a little bogus to print monsters of Faerun as a source book when it is no longer available. Hell, last time I looked (today) <http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/dndacc/880990000> it is still listed on the Wizards site and this provides every indication that it is still available asa Wizard's product. Only when looking to purchase it do you find (from Amazon) that it is no longer printed. When sending several e-mails to Wizards I eventually got a mail back, one sentence, "sorry, Wizards of the Coast no longer prints this product."

I can only hope?????? that MAYBE someone reading this forum may be able to answer my question or even MAYBE (BIG HOPE) someone inside of Wizards or connected to Wizards will be able to provide an answer. So far in my experience this is the only time Wizards have done this by quoting in a product an out of production book asa reference and leave all indications to a new purchaseer that same book can be purchased.

Sincerely
Clive Stewart

If Wizards release it as a PDF I will purchase it but this would not be my 1st choice.
Dargoth Posted - 24 Apr 2007 : 10:55:46
Lost Empires of Faerun has a large number of monsters in that where originally published MoF

I believe more MoF creatures where published in Lords of Madness (the Mindflayers and Beholders)

The Abashai where republished in Fiendish codex 2

Most of the dragons where reprinted in the Draconomicon

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000