Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Races of... races in FR

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alisttair Posted - 14 Sep 2006 : 14:28:38
Are any of the new races in the forgotten realms yet, from the Races of line of products (Illumians, Goliaths and Raptorans)?? Has anyone tried them in the realms?
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
MerrikCale Posted - 18 Sep 2006 : 02:31:18
quote:
Originally posted by kalin agrivar

I wasn't that impressed with any of the three "new" races...

I agree.
Alisttair Posted - 15 Sep 2006 : 20:08:42
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

I always felt that the role of the Goliaths (Races of Stone is the only one I bought) was already largely covered by the giant-kin and ogres. The race was OK, but I felt no impulse to ever include them in the Realms.

I second that...

Yeah, a nice race but one that wasn't much needed. Ah well.
Ergdusch Posted - 15 Sep 2006 : 17:24:03
quote:

I always felt that the role of the Goliaths (Races of Stone is the only one I bought) was already largely covered by the giant-kin and ogres. The race was OK, but I felt no impulse to ever include them in the Realms.

I second that...
Alisttair Posted - 15 Sep 2006 : 15:14:57
quote:
Originally posted by Reefy

I have no current plans to try and incorporate them. If one of my players desperately wanted to play one then maybe I'd consider it and work something out.

Yeah same with me. Unless something I plan turns out that it would be better with one of these, then until then no current plans to introduce them even as NPCs (unlike the other classes)
Reefy Posted - 15 Sep 2006 : 13:05:11
I have no current plans to try and incorporate them. If one of my players desperately wanted to play one then maybe I'd consider it and work something out.
Snow Posted - 14 Sep 2006 : 20:08:08
From a character optimization standpoints, you can pull off some neat game-mechanic tricks with Illumian sigils - especially for early spellcaster PrC entries.

As far as Goliaths go, you can make decent tanks as well.

In our FRCS campaign, we've been able to successfully integrate all 3 races into our world. The Illumians are gaining some traction down in Halruaa and Lantan. Which seems appropriate for such strong magic-based locales.
Alisttair Posted - 14 Sep 2006 : 19:55:29
quote:

Foot bow? OK I don't own the book, but you got me curious Alistair; how are they supposed to aim something like that?

While they are hovering in the air I suppose...there is a picutre of a Raptoran pulling back on an arrow with a footbow in the book. It's...different.
Jorkens Posted - 14 Sep 2006 : 19:21:45
No they did not really feel like anything fitting in any of the"classic" D&D campaigns to me, except maybe Dark sun. They looked like miniature stone giants though, so if push came to shove and a player really wanted to use one I would make them some sort of descendants of these giants living somewhere isolated like the northern Anauroch or Tortured lands.
Kalin Agrivar Posted - 14 Sep 2006 : 19:18:01
quote:

I thought of that too...I would have had made them a big humanoid or monstrous humanoid type...other than their larger-than-human size there isn't really a "giantish" feel to them..IMO
Jorkens Posted - 14 Sep 2006 : 19:15:21
Kalin Agrivar Posted - 14 Sep 2006 : 19:11:53
I wasn't that impressed with any of the three "new" races...though I thought they were all presented well...I can see myself using the raptorian and goliath but I don't include the illumian in my campaigns (blah )

I do like the illumian PrC Loreseeker though
Jorkens Posted - 14 Sep 2006 : 19:10:34
Foot bow? OK I don't own the book, but you got me curious Alistair; how are they supposed to aim something like that?
Alisttair Posted - 14 Sep 2006 : 19:08:46
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

I am currently playing a raptoran druid of Shaundakul from the Shaar. He's turning out to be a pretty cool character. I really like the goliath race as well, but I have yet to play one. As for the illumians, one of the guys in my group really likes that race and has played one once or twice. When he was running we had to deliver a relic to a cabal of illumians in Sigil.

Does your raptoran use a footbow?
Xysma Posted - 14 Sep 2006 : 17:16:23
I am currently playing a raptoran druid of Shaundakul from the Shaar. He's turning out to be a pretty cool character. I really like the goliath race as well, but I have yet to play one. As for the illumians, one of the guys in my group really likes that race and has played one once or twice. When he was running we had to deliver a relic to a cabal of illumians in Sigil.
KnightErrantJR Posted - 14 Sep 2006 : 14:42:46
Champions of Valor has some suggested places for the various new races to be from. Off hand, it ties Goliaths to Grumbar and Raptorans to Akadi, and one of the suggestions for Illumins has to do with them being a separate sect of wizards living on Nimbral.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000