Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 An idea for advancing the realms timeline

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dargoth Posted - 22 May 2004 : 03:13:52
I just thought of a great way to advance realm timeline on a more regular basis.

Back in the days of the 1ed Grey boxset there was a section called "Recent News and Rumours section".

Which covered a month by month write up of what was going on in the realms.

Now what I was thinking is that the Realms time seems to advance at half the Speed of the real world. So say every 2 months WOTC posts an article for one month of realms time ie you'd we'd get 6 realms months a year. The articles themselves would get larger and larger as WOTC released more regional source books. ie There would be no news for a region that hasnt recieved a write up yet

Assuming the article was running today there would be news for the Silver Marches, Unapproachable east and the Underdark, when Serpent Kingdoms comes out we would start seeing articles on the region covered in that book, When Shinning South comes out in October we'd start seeing news for that region.

What do you think?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sarelle Posted - 07 Jun 2004 : 20:35:14
Thanks for answering the questions Sage. I feel somewhat less confused, and will try to begin soon.

Three more (minor) questions before I get the whole picture though:

1) Any particular month in 1372? Or is that up to us?

2) Is it month-by-month in real-world terms as well as FR (as in we submit Kythorn 1272 in July, Flamerule in August etc.)?

3) Would it be possible to start it at the very beginning of July, or at least late June? I still am swamped by exams (and its more a case of emotionally than actual time constraints, though there are plenty of those too), but will be able to totally commit once they are over.

Thanks.
Tethtoril Posted - 07 Jun 2004 : 15:25:48
*leans head on the top of his staff*

I am of the mind to collate the material submitted into its own area in the Campaign Journals section. It truly does not 'fit' any of the current categories.

A suggestion about submission times, if you are going to make this a long-term project. Perhaps your submission time should come in advance of site updates by a week or so. That way it can be doublechecked for such minor things like ... continuity of web appearance.

Off again, must continue wandering, I've been lax the last two days and it shows.
The Sage Posted - 07 Jun 2004 : 14:13:37
Hmmm... interesting questions.

quote:
In what section of the boards do we want to post our "Current Clack" submissions?
I'm thinking that the Adventuring section would probably be best. Maybe Tethtoril has some thoughts on this...?

quote:
Do we want Wooly Rupert to edit for spelling, grammar, etc prior to submission? What about anyone to check for adherence to canon lore?

I think I said something about helping out with the editing duties, along with Arivia and Wooly. As for the correlation with Realmslore and the like, perhaps the editors should be responsible for that also.

quote:
Are we agreed that we'll submit once a month; i.e. "Current Clack: Bloodstone Lands, Kythorn 1372"?
Once a month is the best option I've seen (wait, it's the only option I've seen ). Although, perhaps we should keep this open since some scribes may have more to post that others. Maybe it should be a "once a month" submission minimum.
Brother Ezra Posted - 07 Jun 2004 : 13:50:29
In order to keep the focus on this project, can we agree to a deadline for first submissions? I don't believe we would have to present something for every area under our control, but a little bit of lore for each nation/area might be enough to get us started. Would everyone be agreeable to a submission date of June 20th?

A few more clarifying questions though:
1. In what section of the boards do we want to post our "Current Clack" submissions?
2. Do we want Wooly Rupert to edit for spelling, grammar, etc prior to submission? What about anyone to check for adherence to canon lore?
3. Are we agreed that we'll submit once a month; i.e. "Current Clack: Bloodstone Lands, Kythorn 1372"?
Arivia Posted - 07 Jun 2004 : 11:06:46
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Has the steam run out of this project already, or is everyone simply working on their submissions...?

I'm still at buried. Give me some time...please...
The Sage Posted - 07 Jun 2004 : 10:53:42
No, it's not repetitive. It's just brought some of the lesser answered questions back into focus. Here's my (somewhat limited) thoughts regarding these questions -

quote:
1) Final confirmation - we start in which month of 1372 (or are we back to 1373)?
I believe nearly everyone involved has (to some degree) agreed on starting in 1372 DR.

quote:
2) How are we submitting stuff? Here on this, or a specifically created board, submission by idea (in which case I could startstraight away)?

I think the best idea here, is to simply create one scroll for your own submissions. Simply label it Current Clack - Dragon Coast, which is what my scroll would be titled when I starting posting material based on the Dragon Coast region. If other scribes are also responsible for that area, or adjacent regions, they may also post there works in these scrolls as well.

quote:
3) How are other people organising theirs? Are you all working on long plot threads? Or are you working - as above - as the time is available/idea comes?

It's a little of both actually. While I have a relatively long plot, it's constantly evolving as new material is released.

quote:
4) Are we including homebrew ideas, and any non-canon material that we wish?

I think we agreed that so long as the non-canon ideas do not conflict with established "official" material, then it can also be included.
Sarelle Posted - 07 Jun 2004 : 10:38:10
I'm still very keen, but I'm a bit confused about what is actually happening! I was waiting for some confirmation on others' speculation by Dargoth.

1) Final confirmation - we start in which month of 1372 (or are we back to 1373)?

2) How are we submitting stuff? Here on this, or a specifically created board, submission by idea (in which case I could startstraight away)?

3) How are other people organising theirs? Are you all working on long plot threads? Or are you working - as above - as the time is available/idea comes?

4) Are we including homebrew ideas, and any non-canon material that we wish?

I think that is it...
I'm sorry if this seems repetitive!
The Sage Posted - 07 Jun 2004 : 10:11:56
Has the steam run out of this project already, or is everyone simply working on their submissions...?
The Sage Posted - 05 Jun 2004 : 05:35:43
Ah... Actually Arivia, we may also want to do something like that for 'Barrens' as well. I've been developing some of the ideas we discussed previously, and some alterations on the accepted source details may not be such a bad thing... Especially when it comes to using the Blood War as a basis...

When we next chat, I'll show you what I am talking about.
Arivia Posted - 05 Jun 2004 : 05:28:23
quote:

An alternative...? So, are we going to allow alternative takes on ideas as well as canon elements then?

No, I don't believe we should, in general-but in our undeveloped area, that may not be a bad thing. No, what I originally meant was that I may develop my original idea further(which would now include changes to some deities' homes, like Azuth's Azuth., and petitioners, as these exist within Dweomerheart) and present it as a separate article here.
The Sage Posted - 05 Jun 2004 : 05:15:53
An alternative...? So, are we going to allow alternative takes on ideas as well as canon elements then?
Arivia Posted - 05 Jun 2004 : 05:01:21
quote:

If you're willing Arivia, I'll take a look and what you have on Dweomerheat. Perhaps there might be a way that we can salvage some of these details using the material that I have access to...?

No, no-I'll work something out. I'm beginning to miss the "City of the Eternal Magefair" already, however...maybe I will write this up, and present it as an alternative here...
The Sage Posted - 05 Jun 2004 : 04:49:31
If you're willing Arivia, I'll take a look and what you have on Dweomerheat. Perhaps there might be a way that we can salvage some of these details using the material that I have access to...?
Arivia Posted - 04 Jun 2004 : 23:20:33
quote:
Originally posted by Sarelle

All this secretive talk of 'that plane I mentioned' and 'those planes we talked about' and 'developing' them. Are you sure you two arn't from the secret service, transmitting coded messages on this site? Al and Teth wouldn't be pleased!

*puts cell phone with a pyramid on the back under coat* What? No. Not at all.

On another, more relevant topic, I am so tempted to throw canon to the wings(3e canon, don't kill me yet!) on Dweomerheart. I did some nice, interesting work-and then actually get to read the entry again, which neutralizes half of what I was thinking of.
Sarelle Posted - 04 Jun 2004 : 19:29:57
All this secretive talk of 'that plane I mentioned' and 'those planes we talked about' and 'developing' them. Are you sure you two arn't from the secret service, transmitting coded messages on this site? Al and Teth wouldn't be pleased!
Arivia Posted - 04 Jun 2004 : 14:00:46
quote:

Yes, that would probably be a good idea. As I remember, we'd decided that the other planes were going to be individual efforts, rather than collaborative...

Ah, okay. We will get back to doing that one together one of these days. Once I dig myself out of this hole. I will. I will. I will-I hope. *weeps*
The Sage Posted - 04 Jun 2004 : 13:08:41
Yes, that would probably be a good idea. As I remember, we'd decided that the other planes were going to be individual efforts, rather than collaborative...
Arivia Posted - 04 Jun 2004 : 12:58:28
quote:

That's quite alright Arivia. The ideas that you and I were talking about a short while back have been put on the shelf until you're ready to work on them again. I've decided to focus on some of the other planes that I mentioned to you from that same discussion I mentioned above.

I'll keep you posted, most likely by ethereal mail...

So should I begin developing the other planes I showed an interest in?
The Sage Posted - 04 Jun 2004 : 09:57:27
That's quite alright Arivia. The ideas that you and I were talking about a short while back have been put on the shelf until you're ready to work on them again. I've decided to focus on some of the other planes that I mentioned to you from that same discussion I mentioned above.

I'll keep you posted, most likely by ethereal mail...
Arivia Posted - 02 Jun 2004 : 22:13:37
quote:
I may well decide upon that. The reason I thought about "dropping" the Dalelands was simply because I did not want to stretch my efforts too thinly across working on both the Dragon Coast, and the Planes.

You do have help-I'm just buried until the 22nd or so...
Sarelle Posted - 02 Jun 2004 : 17:21:31
*Knocks fist on head like sieve!*

Yes, I'd forgotten about you doing the planes too, Sage. That is a big task. It is of course up to you, but I do think you're the best man for the Dalelands job.
The Sage Posted - 02 Jun 2004 : 15:12:13
quote:

What about doing both, Sage?

I'm doing three (including two overly-large ) areas. But more to the point, I think the Dalelands would be best served by someone as knowledgeable as you, it being so throughly detailed.

But then, you might not want to take on two projects - I'm worrying about how best to commit to the seas and to the Underdark.

I may well decide upon that. The reason I thought about "dropping" the Dalelands was simply because I did not want to stretch my efforts too thinly across working on both the Dragon Coast, and the Planes.
Sarelle Posted - 02 Jun 2004 : 14:08:43
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

quote:

I'm doing three (including two overly-large ) areas. But more to the point, I think the Dalelands would be best served by someone as knowledgeable as you, it being so throughly detailed.

But then, you might not want to take on two projects - I'm worrying about how best to commit to the seas and to the Underdark.

You'll be fine-I have half of Faerun to cover!

I'd forgotten about your workload! Seems the Underdark is going to be a tiny bit neglected!
Arivia Posted - 02 Jun 2004 : 13:54:11
quote:

You'll be fine-I have half of Faerun to cover!
Sarelle Posted - 02 Jun 2004 : 13:36:19

The Sage Posted - 02 Jun 2004 : 12:53:38
Actually, I've been wanting to change one of my areas of attention... I was set originally to be working on the Dalelands, but I've recently come across some of my old notes that I had on the Dragon Coast region. I have some interesting ideas for expanding this material, so would it cause anyone much conflict if I instead developed "Current Clack" for the Dragon Coast instead?
Brother Ezra Posted - 31 May 2004 : 22:13:32
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

My proposal for what to do with the updates, as they are created:

First, share them with the people covering the neighboring regions, to make sure no toes are being stepped on.

Second, share them with someone who is up enough on the lore for that region to make sure there's no mistakes.

Third, past the lore onto a final person, who cleans up the grammar and spelling, and then posts -- in semi-regular updates -- all the stuff to a new thread, created expessly for that purpose.

I volunteer for the last step. I'm good on Realmslore, but I know there are others who are better. But I am really good on editing stuff, and cleaning it up to be all nice and pretty.

This sounds good to me. I will especially need a loremaster to double check my region, since I don't have many of the third edition updates to the Realms (even though Damara and Vaasa really haven't been updated very much in the past 15 years...)
Brother Ezra Posted - 31 May 2004 : 22:09:57
quote:

An intriguing idea Mumadar, and something that is definitely worth considering...

From my own perspective, I can understand the use for such a format. But I have yet to start a campaign in the post 1370 DR era. Every FR game I run has just naturally progressed from alternate starting years in the past. My most recent start date was 1365 DR...

Ditto. Mine most recent campaign started in DR 1360, although I'm more than amenable to starting in DR 1372, say Kythorn or so. It would give me a year's leeway to keep the "official" events of the Realms in mind, while still allowing me to come up with some plot hooks that will come to fruition in a year's time or so. Most of the stuff I come up with won't have any immediate applicability for my current campaign, and may not even pan out the way I write it (once the group gets to the present time), but I'm sure some of it will still be applicable.
Alaundo Posted - 31 May 2004 : 20:50:50
quote:

I really don't think we should be sending our initial ideas for this project into Alaundo or Tethtoril, until they are complete. Not only does this tie up most of our Head Scribe's time, but it is also largely irrelevant since the finished product will need to be submitted later.

I believe it would be best to simply post your own initial ideas here, and then determine which other scribes (if any) you will need to work with in order to keep the details consistent.

How's that?

Well met

Indeed, Sage. Thank ye. We will certainly make a place of honor within Candlekeep for a project such as this. Nominating a "project co-ordinator" is the best option by far. This person would be responsible for collating and editing the articles of lore and be my point of contact for sending in the project and any updates. It makes managing the library and such much easier and streamlined

I certainly look forward to such as this. History, timelines and geography are my favorite subjects of the Realms
Wooly Rupert Posted - 31 May 2004 : 17:43:44
My proposal for what to do with the updates, as they are created:

First, share them with the people covering the neighboring regions, to make sure no toes are being stepped on.

Second, share them with someone who is up enough on the lore for that region to make sure there's no mistakes.

Third, past the lore onto a final person, who cleans up the grammar and spelling, and then posts -- in semi-regular updates -- all the stuff to a new thread, created expessly for that purpose.

I volunteer for the last step. I'm good on Realmslore, but I know there are others who are better. But I am really good on editing stuff, and cleaning it up to be all nice and pretty.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000