Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Psionics in Faerun

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alrunes Sinethal Posted - 25 Apr 2004 : 14:01:49
I just picked up the expanded psionic book, and I'm a little confused about the magic-psionic interaction in Faerun.

In PGtoF it states that "psionics and magic are not transparent to each other; they interact exactly as magic interact with other magic." This sounds oxymoronic to me because I thought Psionic-magic transparency (XPH, p55) means
1. Spells/SP-abilities affects psionics and vice versa
i. Detect Magic, Dispel Magic, Antimagic, Dead Magic works on Psionic. (This means
that Psionics is a form of magical effect, but is powered differently)
2. Spell Resistance = Power Resistance

Am I to take it that in Faerun,
1. SR does not resist psionics
2. Psionics is still a magic effect, hence dispel magic etc works. Does this means that Dispel Psionic works on magic?
3. This is the biggest problem I have - psionic-magic is not transparent, but they interact. So does say Mind Blank prevent psionic from influencing their mind?

If you answer yes to both 2 and 3. Doesn't it sound like psionic and magic is transparent in Faerun? Further, PGtoF states that psioncis is magical, won't that make SR effective against psionic?

Someone tell me its a typo, or tell me how two independent "magic" systems that aren't transparent can still interact. Because according to XPH p 65, if psionic is different (which I understand as not transparent) then there shouldn't be any interaction between the two "magic" systems.
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Arivia Posted - 25 Apr 2004 : 18:41:50
quote:
Originally posted by Alrunes Sinethal

I just picked up the expanded psionic book, and I'm a little confused about the magic-psionic interaction in Faerun.

In PGtoF it states that "psionics and magic are not transparent to each other; they interact exactly as magic interact with other magic." This sounds oxymoronic to me because I thought Psionic-magic transparency (XPH, p55) means
1. Spells/SP-abilities affects psionics and vice versa
i. Detect Magic, Dispel Magic, Antimagic, Dead Magic works on Psionic. (This means
that Psionics is a form of magical effect, but is powered differently)
2. Spell Resistance = Power Resistance

Am I to take it that in Faerun,
1. SR does not resist psionics
2. Psionics is still a magic effect, hence dispel magic etc works. Does this means that Dispel Psionic works on magic?
3. This is the biggest problem I have - psionic-magic is not transparent, but they interact. So does say Mind Blank prevent psionic from influencing their mind?

If you answer yes to both 2 and 3. Doesn't it sound like psionic and magic is transparent in Faerun? Further, PGtoF states that psioncis is magical, won't that make SR effective against psionic?

Someone tell me its a typo, or tell me how two independent "magic" systems that aren't transparent can still interact. Because according to XPH p 65, if psionic is different (which I understand as not transparent) then there shouldn't be any interaction between the two "magic" systems.

It's a typo. That section's odd. There are enough hints in some of the organization and site entries to indicate that it was written with the Expanded Psionics Handbook(the soulknife and wilder as normal classes being two), but they tried to (to borrow a term) backport it to the Psionics Handbook. And it didn't go so well. If that last line wasn't a typo, it would not only contradict the lines before it, but additionally the FRCS(although that would be no surprise).
So, essentially...
  1. SR=PR
  2. detect magic=detect psionics and such.
  3. Magic and psionics fully interact-an arcane mind blank works against psionics and such.
Shadowlord Posted - 25 Apr 2004 : 17:35:19
I'll be able to answer more of your questions this afternoon, as I haven't acquired that book yet...

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000