Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Bloodwalk: Chapters 5 - 9

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alaundo Posted - 01 Jul 2006 : 23:48:09
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for Bloodwalk(Book 2 of The Wizards series), by James P. Davis. Please discuss chapters 5 - 9 herein.

James P. Davis will be here to answer any questions and respond to comments
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 01 Feb 2007 : 00:19:02
I would definitely say that James has gotten the "feel" of the Realms, specifically the Border Kingdoms, down quite well.

I also feel that Maghra died way too early. I rather liked him, and I felt he had plenty of potential to impact the story in a neat way. The way he died was realistic but somehow...unsatisfying. And unfortunately, I'm still not really "getting into" Quin and his little allusions to that "knock the stones over" game. I have the feeling I'll start getting into this character when he actually starts interacting with some people in ways other than killing them, and when I finally get a glimpse into his (probably sordid) past.

Take care,

RF
Dremvek Posted - 03 Aug 2006 : 05:29:17
I'm loving the detail given to describing the settings. You really get a feel for the location - how these places look, but also the sense of danger that lurks there. This is a rather dark book, and you get that feeling of something lurking behind every tree or building.

I'm really enjoying this book so far. My only complaint is I'm reading it in smaller chunks, so keeping all of these characters straight this early in the book is a bit of a hassle - a very minor criticism.
James P. Davis Posted - 01 Aug 2006 : 11:16:39
Conlon Posted
quote:
Mr. Davis, I am really enjoying this yarn you have spun!

Thanks Conlon, I'm glad you're enjoying it! And please, call me James.

Best,
--JPD
Conlon Posted - 01 Aug 2006 : 02:42:23
Mr. Davis, I am really enjoying this yarn you have spun!
KnightErrantJR Posted - 30 Jul 2006 : 00:54:40
quote:
Originally posted by James P. Davis

quote:
Quite like the idea of that Stone of Memnon too.... is it detailed in any sourcebooks?

The Stone of Memnon was an idea I had for a different story. I had done alot of reading about Calimshan's history and considering the related history of the Border Kingdoms, I just switched it over as the perfect way to threaten a forest. So, not in any sourcebooks unless someone picks it up and puts stats to it someday.

Best,
--James

I like the fact that both in Blackstaff and in here we get a chance to have some mentions of "southern" Faerun magic. While its a facinating place, we seemed to have been stuck on Netherese magic for a long time, so its cool to hear mention of Shoon, Nar, and Raumathar magic items and spellcasters.
Dhomal Posted - 24 Jul 2006 : 05:45:49
Hello-

Its been a number of days since I finished the first chunk. Been busy for me.

I also see it seems most have been making comments on the further chapters - as some of those have more posts!

Me? I like to read JUST the section that is covered here - and then wander in and read and write.

I liked this section Far more than the beginning (which - was not bad by any means!) - and some of the double-stuff worked quite well - like the viewing of Quin's arrival. I also quite liked the double "I am not like you" part.

I am intrigued to see what the store is with the sister's parents death. Something sinister no doubt! :)

I also have my own theorys about the 'vision' to do nothing. Unless I miss my mark (which - I have often done before!) This is the work of the Bloodmage and friends. I think she found out that the seer was not having visions - and somehow found a way to giver her visons of her own choice - possibly with the blood magic - or even the 'bloodwalk' ability that was shown at the end of chapter 9 (IIRC).

I also beleive that the acolyte with the 'bloody nose' may not be a true worshiper of Savras - or if she is - she has been led astray and/or corrupted by the bloodmage and company.

I liked also how Quin was somewhat surprised that he was still in the town - and was somewhat 'forced' into talking to one of them.

I am quite looking forward to reading the next chunk of chapters!

Dhomal
Lord Rad Posted - 20 Jul 2006 : 14:05:01
quote:
Originally posted by James P. Davis

quote:
Quite like the idea of that Stone of Memnon too.... is it detailed in any sourcebooks?

The Stone of Memnon was an idea I had for a different story. I had done alot of reading about Calimshan's history and considering the related history of the Border Kingdoms, I just switched it over as the perfect way to threaten a forest. So, not in any sourcebooks unless someone picks it up and puts stats to it someday.

Best,
--James

Thanks James. That makes it all the better to put your own creation in there The whole Calimshan aspect felt really solid too and added a great feel to the underlying root of it all.
James P. Davis Posted - 20 Jul 2006 : 10:13:53
quote:

Best,
--James
Lord Rad Posted - 20 Jul 2006 : 08:54:04
Yikes! Those Razorvines and Bloodthorns are nasty! Great, but nasty

I really liked this part and the scene with the oak trees. Again, it was done in quite a dark way and I enjoyed the eerie feel they gave and how the forest was alive.

I love it when mortals use a demons full name too, like Morgynn did to Khaemil
Lord Rad Posted - 20 Jul 2006 : 08:51:48
Very well described ritual in chapter 7, probably the best i've read in an FR novel. Had a lot of feeling and atmosphere.

Another nice atmospheric\cinematic little scene when the old man was watching Quin as he returned to consiousness.

I quite like the idea how Quin goes into his shadowwalk and heals himself whilst within
Lord Rad Posted - 18 Jul 2006 : 21:29:10
A nice touch to start with this chapter, how the point of view switches from Mahgra and Gyusk watching Quin appear, to Quin's view of them looking at him. Very well done.

Great fight with the gnolls. Loved every minute. I liked how they circled around him "yipping and gnashing".

Shucks! Mahgra has bit the dusk Shame, as I really liked the old brute. Still, a great death and I thought he might pull though, but I guess Bedlam was too much for him in the end

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000