Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Bloodwalk: Chapters 5 - 9
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2006 :  23:48:09  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for Bloodwalk(Book 2 of The Wizards series), by James P. Davis. Please discuss chapters 5 - 9 herein.

James P. Davis will be here to answer any questions and respond to comments

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2006 :  21:29:10  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A nice touch to start with this chapter, how the point of view switches from Mahgra and Gyusk watching Quin appear, to Quin's view of them looking at him. Very well done.

Great fight with the gnolls. Loved every minute. I liked how they circled around him "yipping and gnashing".

Shucks! Mahgra has bit the dusk Shame, as I really liked the old brute. Still, a great death and I thought he might pull though, but I guess Bedlam was too much for him in the end

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2006 :  08:51:48  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very well described ritual in chapter 7, probably the best i've read in an FR novel. Had a lot of feeling and atmosphere.

Another nice atmospheric\cinematic little scene when the old man was watching Quin as he returned to consiousness.

I quite like the idea how Quin goes into his shadowwalk and heals himself whilst within

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2006 :  08:54:04  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yikes! Those Razorvines and Bloodthorns are nasty! Great, but nasty

I really liked this part and the scene with the oak trees. Again, it was done in quite a dark way and I enjoyed the eerie feel they gave and how the forest was alive.

Quite like the idea of that Stone of Memnon too.... is it detailed in any sourcebooks?

I love it when mortals use a demons full name too, like Morgynn did to Khaemil

Lord Rad

Edited by - Lord Rad on 20 Jul 2006 08:54:27
Go to Top of Page

James P. Davis
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2006 :  10:13:53  Show Profile  Visit James P. Davis's Homepage Send James P. Davis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Quite like the idea of that Stone of Memnon too.... is it detailed in any sourcebooks?

The Stone of Memnon was an idea I had for a different story. I had done alot of reading about Calimshan's history and considering the related history of the Border Kingdoms, I just switched it over as the perfect way to threaten a forest. So, not in any sourcebooks unless someone picks it up and puts stats to it someday.

Best,
--James

"Everybody is a book of blood; wherever we're opened, we're red."--Clive Barker

FR: RotD2:"Possessions"
Wizards:Bloodwalk
Citadels: The Shield of Weeping Ghosts
Wilds: The Restless Shore
Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep: Circle of Skulls (May 2010)
Book trailers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC-ska7ohVk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfvFdQ8bLp0
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2006 :  14:05:01  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James P. Davis

quote:

The Stone of Memnon was an idea I had for a different story. I had done alot of reading about Calimshan's history and considering the related history of the Border Kingdoms, I just switched it over as the perfect way to threaten a forest. So, not in any sourcebooks unless someone picks it up and puts stats to it someday.

Best,
--James

Thanks James. That makes it all the better to put your own creation in there The whole Calimshan aspect felt really solid too and added a great feel to the underlying root of it all.

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2006 :  05:45:49  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

Its been a number of days since I finished the first chunk. Been busy for me.

I also see it seems most have been making comments on the further chapters - as some of those have more posts!

Me? I like to read JUST the section that is covered here - and then wander in and read and write.

I liked this section Far more than the beginning (which - was not bad by any means!) - and some of the double-stuff worked quite well - like the viewing of Quin's arrival. I also quite liked the double "I am not like you" part.

I am intrigued to see what the store is with the sister's parents death. Something sinister no doubt! :)

I also have my own theorys about the 'vision' to do nothing. Unless I miss my mark (which - I have often done before!) This is the work of the Bloodmage and friends. I think she found out that the seer was not having visions - and somehow found a way to giver her visons of her own choice - possibly with the blood magic - or even the 'bloodwalk' ability that was shown at the end of chapter 9 (IIRC).

I also beleive that the acolyte with the 'bloody nose' may not be a true worshiper of Savras - or if she is - she has been led astray and/or corrupted by the bloodmage and company.

I liked also how Quin was somewhat surprised that he was still in the town - and was somewhat 'forced' into talking to one of them.

I am quite looking forward to reading the next chunk of chapters!

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2006 :  00:54:40  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James P. Davis

quote:

Best,
--James

I like the fact that both in Blackstaff and in here we get a chance to have some mentions of "southern" Faerun magic. While its a facinating place, we seemed to have been stuck on Netherese magic for a long time, so its cool to hear mention of Shoon, Nar, and Raumathar magic items and spellcasters.
Go to Top of Page

Conlon
Learned Scribe

Canada
132 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2006 :  02:42:23  Show Profile  Visit Conlon's Homepage Send Conlon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Davis, I am really enjoying this yarn you have spun!

My hopes are ashes, my dreams are dust. All my intentions mean nothing unless they are followed by action.
Go to Top of Page

James P. Davis
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2006 :  11:16:39  Show Profile  Visit James P. Davis's Homepage Send James P. Davis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Conlon Posted
quote:
Mr. Davis, I am really enjoying this yarn you have spun!

Thanks Conlon, I'm glad you're enjoying it! And please, call me James.

Best,
--JPD

"Everybody is a book of blood; wherever we're opened, we're red."--Clive Barker

FR: RotD2:"Possessions"
Wizards:Bloodwalk
Citadels: The Shield of Weeping Ghosts
Wilds: The Restless Shore
Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep: Circle of Skulls (May 2010)
Book trailers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC-ska7ohVk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfvFdQ8bLp0
Go to Top of Page

Dremvek
Seeker

70 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2006 :  05:29:17  Show Profile  Visit Dremvek's Homepage Send Dremvek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm loving the detail given to describing the settings. You really get a feel for the location - how these places look, but also the sense of danger that lurks there. This is a rather dark book, and you get that feeling of something lurking behind every tree or building.

I'm really enjoying this book so far. My only complaint is I'm reading it in smaller chunks, so keeping all of these characters straight this early in the book is a bit of a hassle - a very minor criticism.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2007 :  00:19:02  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would definitely say that James has gotten the "feel" of the Realms, specifically the Border Kingdoms, down quite well.

I also feel that Maghra died way too early. I rather liked him, and I felt he had plenty of potential to impact the story in a neat way. The way he died was realistic but somehow...unsatisfying. And unfortunately, I'm still not really "getting into" Quin and his little allusions to that "knock the stones over" game. I have the feeling I'll start getting into this character when he actually starts interacting with some people in ways other than killing them, and when I finally get a glimpse into his (probably sordid) past.

Take care,

RF

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 01 Feb 2007 00:19:11
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000