Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Whisper of Waves: Prologue & Part 1 (Chapters 1-7)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alaundo Posted - 03 Nov 2005 : 00:05:19
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for Whisper of Waves. Please discuss the Prologue and Part One (Chapters 1-7) herein:
23   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Dennis Posted - 12 Jan 2011 : 19:03:59
The very short chapters made the story appear so choppy.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 19 Jul 2006 : 01:47:49
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Yeah, but to be fair RF, that character seemed a bit off herself.

True...but I'm not sure if I'm satisfied by that explanation. Some of the more level-headed characters thought there was "something special" (whatever that means) about Ivar upon meeting him, as well, like that Shou Lung woman and the man who took Ivar on as a student. I definitely got a vibe saying, "If you don't see something special and great about Ivar, you're just an unwashed collectivist plebe like everyone else!"

Again, just my opinion.
KnightErrantJR Posted - 18 Jul 2006 : 23:55:03
Yeah, but to be fair RF, that character seemed a bit off herself . . . in fact, the book was a collection of characters that are a bit off. I actually am interested to read the next book, just to see where all of this quirkyness is going. But I can understand it being off putting, as I waded through the first part of this book thinking . . . okay, what is the point of all of this, before Ivar kind of took the fore as the protagonist.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 18 Jul 2006 : 23:41:54
*smiles* Honestly, what bothers me about certain characters isn't--ultimately--that they are unlikeable, but when a novel let's them off too easily for the way they act.

That's what's often called an "author's darling".

And like I said before, what was really irritating to me was how Ivar doesn't care at all about how he looks or presents himself, yet this one female character later in the story wants to have sex with him as soon as she sees him (from afar, at that).
Lanithro Posted - 18 Jul 2006 : 23:38:15
Oh I know. What is he!?

I guess that's why the Devorast sections I've come to so far have been written through Willem's eyes. Willem is about human enough, mundanely human enough, to compensate for Devorast's... bizarreness.

Ivar's lack of empathy, or his plain inscrutability, would be more irritatingly alienating for me if it wasn't for scores of the novel's characters also finding him practically autistic.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 18 Jul 2006 : 02:20:39
quote:
Originally posted by Winterfox

Though that's not exactly new. I lost count of the times "You are a rare person, Richard Cypher" are uttered in the first book alone.

Actually, this does remind me of what I disliked about Ivar Devorast (the protagonist). This guy doesn't care how he presents himself physically or what he says to people, and yet just about all the major characters in this book think he's "special" upon meeting him, or even just by looking at him.

I mean, come on! It can be nice not to care about what other people think, period, but sooner or later that attitude should cost you. If the author's goal is to show how not caring what other people think gives you a certain freedom, making other characters like the protagonist anyway (and believe there is something "special" about him) undermines that, IMO--because frankly, Ivar isn't very likeable.
GothicDan Posted - 17 Jul 2006 : 19:48:30
Sorry!

*Runs away*
Kuje Posted - 17 Jul 2006 : 19:44:17
Cough,

Let's get this back on topic. No more discussion about a nonFR novel.
GothicDan Posted - 17 Jul 2006 : 19:38:50
Heh. Now that you think about it, it does seem like Richard's developing somewhat of a messiah syndrome.

But still not as tiresome as Robert Jordan's stuff.

I still read both, of course. I've just read too many to stop now.
Winterfox Posted - 17 Jul 2006 : 19:33:34
Can't say the same. It's become very repetitive, and Richard's become a sanctimonious little git while other characters become codependent nitwits who exist only to give him applause and tell him how right and how wonderful he is.

Though that's not exactly new. I lost count of the times "You are a rare person, Richard Cypher" are uttered in the first book alone. It doesn't help, of course, that Goodkind seems to be suffering from delusions of grandeur ("I don't write fantasy; I write novels" -- wtf?).
GothicDan Posted - 17 Jul 2006 : 19:16:56
I like Terry Goodkind's work, personally. Not one of my FAVORITES, but readable.
Lanithro Posted - 17 Jul 2006 : 16:57:31
I quite liked the prologue. I've flicked back to it a few times already, wondering if any of the characters that get introduced might turn into that poor desolate chap fifty years on.

The intestine "ropes" raised a smile for inventive prose.

Also, I'm wondering if Marek's gay... or at least open-minded in preference. Something about how he was with the dragon in chapter 5 made me wonder, plus he got Nesneh to do what he wanted by fluttering his eyelashes at him.
khorne Posted - 17 Feb 2006 : 11:55:05
I don`t really like the prologue. It implies that the whole project will fail, and why should I read three whole books about a splendid fiasco?
Xysma Posted - 07 Dec 2005 : 15:43:10
quote:

I think that Marek's mother was just really messed up, and that scene was meant to show that she has been that was since at least when his father disappeared.

That's the feeling I got as well.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 25 Nov 2005 : 22:00:31
quote:

So far, Marek would have to be my favorite character, since he seems to the character that is the most comfortable with who he actually is.

Very good way of putting it. I agree.
KnightErrantJR Posted - 21 Nov 2005 : 11:18:37
I think that Marek's mother was just really messed up, and that scene was meant to show that she has been that was since at least when his father disappeared.

So far, the book has essentially enjoyable. The first comment I have to make though, is that I am starting to really want to read a Realms book where someone is just a good honest person that wants to do good. It reminds me of the nineties comic book stories where traditional heroes were being injured or "killed" and replaced by more "modern" characters with a darker tone. By the time all of those stories wrapped up I was really glad to have the old traditional heroes back.

So far, Marek would have to be my favorite character, since he seems to the character that is the most comfortable with who he actually is. He is an ambitious Red Wizard, willing to manipulate and control others.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 19 Nov 2005 : 04:55:11
quote:
Originally posted by Proc

Maybe someone here can help me out. I'm about half-way through the book now, and I'm enjoying it so far. The different style has made it an interesting read, and I really like Marek Rymut as an antagonist. But, why was he dressed as a little girl in the first chapter? Was it to try and deceive the Zulkir? Was his mother simply cracked in the head? I got the strong impression that his mother knew what the life of a Red Wizard entailed, and desperately wanted her son to avoid that fate. But the Zulkir walked right in and said: “Rymut .... The boy?” And his mother replied: "Yes, Zulkir." So if it was a ploy, it wasn’t very effective. Can someone give me some perspective on this scene? Thanks.

I really wish I could help you, but that scene confused me, as well.

The fact that this little boy was dressed up as a girl for no apparent reason was...very creepy.
Proc Posted - 19 Nov 2005 : 04:31:42
Maybe someone here can help me out. I'm about half-way through the book now, and I'm enjoying it so far. The different style has made it an interesting read, and I really like Marek Rymut as an antagonist. But, why was he dressed as a little girl in the first chapter? Was it to try and deceive the Zulkir? Was his mother simply cracked in the head? I got the strong impression that his mother knew what the life of a Red Wizard entailed, and desperately wanted her son to avoid that fate. But the Zulkir walked right in and said: “Rymut .... The boy?” And his mother replied: "Yes, Zulkir." So if it was a ploy, it wasn’t very effective. Can someone give me some perspective on this scene? Thanks.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 19 Nov 2005 : 04:06:40
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

That description was certainly imaginative, if gory. It reminded me uncomfortably of the first scene in the Baldur's Gate novel (a book, btw, that I thought went WAY overboard with gore).

hehehe Well i quite like some of the more descriptive gore in novels. In moderation, it makes the book a little more mature, rather than just a sword clash style fight.

Yeah, but I have to admit I was disappointed in the amount of gore and grimness in the BG novel, because the original story wasn't THAT dark. Baldur's Gate was a relatively light-hearted, archtypal story of a young orphan who sets out into the world to find himself.

However, I was happy to find that Athans didn't go overboard with gore in this story, and even the more intense scenes just worked.
Lord Rad Posted - 13 Nov 2005 : 22:41:01
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

That description was certainly imaginative, if gory. It reminded me uncomfortably of the first scene in the Baldur's Gate novel (a book, btw, that I thought went WAY overboard with gore).

hehehe Well i quite like some of the more descriptive gore in novels. In moderation, it makes the book a little more mature, rather than just a sword clash style fight. There's a scene in part 3 of this book which I felt particularly gruesome (which i'll write about in a moment).
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 13 Nov 2005 : 21:40:39
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

I quite like Pristoleth. Quite a unique being with his father being a fire elemental (I bet the conception was a hot bed of passion ). The scenes with Pristoleth are quite dark and brutal in places... i like it Especially in the tavern where he kills the whychfinder (what ARE these whychfinders?!)

Indeed, I was wondering the same thing myself.

quote:
The "yellow ropes" intestines spilling out of the Red Wizard was a particularly favorite piece

Lord Rad Posted - 11 Nov 2005 : 18:06:47
Well I startes this book today and finished this particular part.

I must say i'm really enjoying it. I like the format of the book and the small chapters. I like how this part darts around a variety of locations focusing on different characters. I'm finding the book quite gritty at the moment, very well done.

I quite like Pristoleth. Quite a unique being with his father being a fire elemental (I bet the conception was a hot bed of passion ). The scenes with Pristoleth are quite dark and brutal in places... i like it Especially in the tavern where he kills the whychfinder (what ARE these whychfinders?!)

On to Marek....Again, I liked how the alternate chapters each advanced five years or do through Mareks life and how he started admiring and looking up to the Zulkir, then onto his training (where he is identified as being more of an Enchanter) and then onto his mission in the swamps.

The swamp scene was great! This scene reminds me a little of the opening scene in the Sword and the Sorceror for some reason. I guess it's the overpowering of a powerful being and forcing\tricking it into service.

The "yellow ropes" intestines spilling out of the Red Wizard was a particularly favorite piece

Great book so far!
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 06 Nov 2005 : 02:48:14
My thoughts, copied from the Novels forum:

What intrigues me the most about this book, so far, is that apparently the author (Philip Athans) is weaving a lot of philosophy, esp. Objectivism (see the acknowledgments page) into the book--and from my own deduction, it's a philosophy that Athans seems to embrace, himself.

This might be a good thing, since I like hearing other people's philosophical viewpoints and seeing them materialize in literature, but the problem with this is that the protagonist might end up being a veritable mouthpiece for the author to, well, get preachy. And truth be told, I'm not sure I like Ivar Devorast so far--I'm not far into the book, but he does seem kinda preachy and aloof so far, esp. for a 22 year old. I tend to find that annoying even when I agree with such a person! I agree with some aspects of Objectivism but not all--indeed, I believe each person makes their own philosophy from a wide variety of sources. I've never read any philosophical work that I've agreed with 100%.

Still, I have to give Athans credit for trying to do something different with his book. I love the short, quick chapters, and I'm very much interested in a motif he is using--one of domineering mothers. After all, the need to please one's mother (or father) a universal theme that plenty of people can relate to (see City of Splendors as well). The descriptive prose is nice, and I also appreciate that the plot centers around craftsmen and creators (people who build the Realms) rather than, say, nobles who just sit around in villas or go adventuring for no apparent reason.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000