Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 DriveThruRPG.com releases 3.5e D&D e-books

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
The Sage Posted - 16 Jun 2006 : 16:29:51
The full details were presented at EN World this morning:- http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=165678
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
SirUrza Posted - 25 Jun 2006 : 05:38:45
I wish they'd use some format other the PDF, maybe one of the REALY ebook formats. But that's just me wanting D&D books on my palm.

As for PDFs and passing them around... a laptop will do. I like to use PDFs to print specific parts of the book out so I don't have to haul the whole book around with me. For example, Complete Fighter. If I'm playing a Bladesinger, 2 pages printed out allows me to stick them inside of the Spell Compendium which which has A LOT of pages that may be useful.
Wenin Posted - 21 Jun 2006 : 18:35:51
Problem with PDFs
They have absolutely no resale value.
You can't buy a group of them on ebay for $9 each.
You can't share them with your group and pass them around the gaming table.

With the DRM, the PDF versions should be provided for a nominal cost when you buy the book.
With the book comes a "purchase code". Login to WOTC's website, enter the code and download a DRM protected version of the book you just bought at the store. Pay an extra $5.
EytanBernstein Posted - 19 Jun 2006 : 00:23:33
From what I've seen, the books are sold at the same (or near the same) price as hard copies. I know people don't like that, but according to the financial people, their first few PDF runs have been quite successful. On another note, those of us who happen to be involved in D20 or small press companies are likely to benefit because DTRPG sales will go way up with the inclusion of all of the WOTC material.
scererar Posted - 18 Jun 2006 : 04:51:28
I see pro's and con's to this. I like to sit around and just puruse my sourcebooks, so in pdf format, it is a little less relaxing. However, I remember days of backpacks full of tomes, converging on one spot for our once a week game sessions. One laptop, with all of the info does come in handy, especially with bookmark and search utilities.
warlockco Posted - 17 Jun 2006 : 08:56:40
quote:
Originally posted by Mazrim_Taim

This is interesting. But any idea yet as to the cost of buying the new sourcebooks in e-book format?

If it's cheap, then this may be a good way to catch up on the new material without having to spend a lot.

Because they can't control one person buying and downloading a copy and then giving copies to all their friends.

Charging full price for a PDF encourages people to buy a Book. And if they do get the PDF and make copies of it, at least then the person will have to really want it.
Plus I personally hate reading stuff on the computer, especially if I need to datamine for it.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 16 Jun 2006 : 18:00:51
I don't know about WotC, but another gaming system I am familiar with has been releasing pdfs at cover price a month or so before releasing the print copies. Thus far, the system has worked well for them. Granted, I think that if you buy one version you should get a discount on the other, but the numbers aren't on my side with this one.

Having said that, I should really prefer to avoid any debates over whether or not the pdfs should be cheaper.
Mazrim_Taim Posted - 16 Jun 2006 : 17:58:09
This is interesting. But any idea yet as to the cost of buying the new sourcebooks in e-book format?

If it's cheap, then this may be a good way to catch up on the new material without having to spend a lot.
Jindael Posted - 16 Jun 2006 : 17:21:51
At full price with DRM. :(
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 16 Jun 2006 : 16:44:59
Sweet.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000