Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 D&D Pronunciation Guide

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Hawkins Posted - 02 Jun 2012 : 18:04:01
I stole this link from Brian's Twitter feed:
D&D Pronunciation Guide
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Artemas Entreri Posted - 15 Jun 2012 : 21:53:31
Sijil sounds waaaaay better to me
Ayrik Posted - 15 Jun 2012 : 20:35:39
quote:
Ye Olde Sage

I'm going from memory, but I think several characters in one of the old Planescape novels, referred to Sigil as Cy-gil. But I also recall it being said that such pronunciation also prompted strange looks from other folk who heard it pronounced in such a way.

Confirmed, it is pronounced sig-gill by Morte several times in the Planescape: Torment game. I suppose it also prompted strange looks from other folk who heard it pronounced in such a way. But then, Morte probably prompts strange looks from other folk every time he speaks - even folk in Sigil (sijil) who are used to talking mimir-skulls and other weirdness. Morte's just special.
JohnnyGrognard Posted - 15 Jun 2012 : 18:42:09
Just having a discussion on this topic with some friends....

I would pronounce it Drow as in tow, row, when playing anything other than Forgotten Realms. It has pretty much become universally accepted as Drow with an Ow! in the Forgotten Realms.

Well, that's the way I see it any who. :)
Lord Karsus Posted - 05 Jun 2012 : 21:44:36
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

... and I agree, people who can't pronounce vanilla or gelatinous really need to expand their vocabulary and reading material.

-A fantasy, made-up or of foreign origin (from the POV of English), that is what it is, and while it annoys me, I guess I can't get angry at someone who pronounces them 'incorrectly. A word like 'gelatinous', though, I mean, that's a real world. That, that's just...
The Sage Posted - 05 Jun 2012 : 02:09:01
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-When people say 'Drow' where it rhymes with 'Row' instead of 'Ow!', that always aggravated me.

I guess I would aggravate you on that one, then... To me, the row/tow pronunciation is easier to say and more logical than the "how now, brown cow?" pronunciation. I know the proper pronunciation, but it's not the one that comes most readily to mind.
I tend to semi-regularly alternate the pronunciation of drow... like I do with any fantasy-based term, really, to help reflect the fact that most folk -- either in-game or at the tabletop -- have different ways of pronouncing a term. I'll rely on the row/tow sound for some games, and the "how now, brown cow" method for more historically-based games. I don't know why, really, but for whatever reason, I tend to think the "row/tow" is a more modern pronunciation, while "cow" is indicative of a more archaic pronouncement of the term "drow."
The Sage Posted - 05 Jun 2012 : 02:00:18
quote:

quote:

Teefling and Sigill (like fish gill), eh?

I'll admit I've heard those pronunciations before, in the DDI 4E intro videos and in Planescape: Torment ... but I still prefer Tuyfling and Sijil.

Sijil is the pronunciation, according to the dictionary. I used to say Cy-gill, though. I broke myself of that after losing a bet on the pronunciation.

I'm going from memory, but I think several characters in one of the old Planescape novels, referred to Sigil as Cy-gil. But I also recall it being said that such pronunciation also prompted strange looks from other folk who heard it pronounced in such a way.
Ayrik Posted - 04 Jun 2012 : 22:00:57
Well now, people in Southern California used to comment often about my quaint "Canadian accent". But I, too, prefer "how now brown drow" over "droe" or "droo" ... and I agree, people who can't pronounce vanilla or gelatinous really need to expand their vocabulary and reading material.
Lord Karsus Posted - 04 Jun 2012 : 20:13:57
quote:

I don't know of any alternate pronunciations on this one, unless going for the Spanish "ll" letter instead of the English two Ls.

-Va-Nill-A. Va-Nell-A. The latter is right in the world of me (which is the only right one), while the former is silly.

-Or, coffee, that's another one...
Wooly Rupert Posted - 04 Jun 2012 : 19:53:19
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

I'm pronouncing it Drow as in "so" or "bow (and arrow)"...and that's how it is. Drow like "ow" sounds stupid to me. Last time I checked wikipedia, both pronounciations were correct. So drow like row it is. When I hear Bob speak at book signings I always want to yell at him to stop saying drauuu. He didn't invent the drow, so I don't accept his pronouncing it that way as gospel.

I don't recall where or when it was said, but it was official word from TSR/WotC that the proper pronunciation is with the "ow" sound.

That said, since drow are their property, they are free to change that, like they did with drow skintone.
Jorkens Posted - 04 Jun 2012 : 19:50:17
Definitely rhyming with "bow", it never occurred to me to pronounce it any other way before I started reading forums. But this is probably more of a language/dialect thing which makes it a more logical pronunciation for me.
Seravin Posted - 04 Jun 2012 : 19:18:46
I'm pronouncing it Drow as in "so" or "bow (and arrow)"...and that's how it is. Drow like "ow" sounds stupid to me. Last time I checked wikipedia, both pronounciations were correct. So drow like row it is. When I hear Bob speak at book signings I always want to yell at him to stop saying drauuu. He didn't invent the drow, so I don't accept his pronouncing it that way as gospel.
BEAST Posted - 04 Jun 2012 : 18:40:48
quote:

quote:

-When people say 'Drow' where it rhymes with 'Row' instead of 'Ow!', that always aggravated me.

I guess I would aggravate you on that one, then... To me, the row/tow pronunciation is easier to say and more logical than the "how now, brown cow?" pronunciation. I know the proper pronunciation, but it's not the one that comes most readily to mind.

/drô/ sounds more ancient and Britishy and omininous to me. (Perhaps I am subconsciously linking that to the "scro"? )

/drau/ sounds, I don't know, silly and cartoonish. (One of my little brothers took German in high school, and I'm pretty sure I've been unwittingly linking this pronunciation to frau. )
Wooly Rupert Posted - 04 Jun 2012 : 18:11:13
quote:

quote:

Don't get me started on 'Vanilla'...

I don't know of any alternate pronunciations on this one, unless going for the Spanish "ll" letter instead of the English two Ls.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 04 Jun 2012 : 18:07:21
quote:

I'll admit I've heard those pronunciations before, in the DDI 4E intro videos and in Planescape: Torment ... but I still prefer Tuyfling and Sijil.

Sijil is the pronunciation, according to the dictionary. I used to say Cy-gill, though. I broke myself of that after losing a bet on the pronunciation.
Kilvan Posted - 04 Jun 2012 : 16:12:01
quote:

-When people say 'Drow' where it rhymes with 'Row' instead of 'Ow!', that always aggravated me. Don't get me started on 'Vanilla'...

Hehe, as a french, I'm guilty of that. We have no words that rhymes with "how" (except when we get hurt, which is usually followed by a swear word, or a combination of many), so using the "row" pronunciation sounds less queer to us.

As for vanilla, I had no idea there were two ways to pronounce it. I'm probably using the wrong one.
Lord Karsus Posted - 03 Jun 2012 : 02:39:39
-How people can mispronounce some of those words, I have no idea. Gelatinous Cube,for example? Come on...

-When people say 'Drow' where it rhymes with 'Row' instead of 'Ow!', that always aggravated me. Don't get me started on 'Vanilla'...
Ayrik Posted - 02 Jun 2012 : 20:52:37

BEAST Posted - 02 Jun 2012 : 18:30:40
Regarding the pronunciation of Drizzt's name, super-fans have parsed Bob's words in interviews, and he himself pronounces it "dritst".

The "zz" is pronounced like the "zz" in the word "pizza". (Bob has Italian heritage and all.) That is to say, the "zz" in Drizzt's name sounds like "ts". Add another "t" onto the end of that, and you get "dritst".

Though Bob will tell you to go ahead and pronounce it however the heck you feel like pronouncing it. It's no matter to him!

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000