Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 D&D Pronunciation Guide
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2012 :  18:04:01  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I stole this link from Brian's Twitter feed:
D&D Pronunciation Guide

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)

Edited by - Hawkins on 02 Jun 2012 18:04:49

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2012 :  18:30:40  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Regarding the pronunciation of Drizzt's name, super-fans have parsed Bob's words in interviews, and he himself pronounces it "dritst".

The "zz" is pronounced like the "zz" in the word "pizza". (Bob has Italian heritage and all.) That is to say, the "zz" in Drizzt's name sounds like "ts". Add another "t" onto the end of that, and you get "dritst".

Though Bob will tell you to go ahead and pronounce it however the heck you feel like pronouncing it. It's no matter to him!

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2012 :  20:52:37  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Teefling and Sigill (like fish gill), eh?

I'll admit I've heard those pronunciations before, in the DDI 4E intro videos and in Planescape: Torment ... but I still prefer Tuyfling and Sijil.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2012 :  02:39:39  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-How people can mispronounce some of those words, I have no idea. Gelatinous Cube,for example? Come on...

-When people say 'Drow' where it rhymes with 'Row' instead of 'Ow!', that always aggravated me. Don't get me started on 'Vanilla'...

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 03 Jun 2012 02:41:30
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2012 :  16:12:01  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-When people say 'Drow' where it rhymes with 'Row' instead of 'Ow!', that always aggravated me. Don't get me started on 'Vanilla'...

Hehe, as a french, I'm guilty of that. We have no words that rhymes with "how" (except when we get hurt, which is usually followed by a swear word, or a combination of many), so using the "row" pronunciation sounds less queer to us.

As for vanilla, I had no idea there were two ways to pronounce it. I'm probably using the wrong one.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2012 :  18:07:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

I'll admit I've heard those pronunciations before, in the DDI 4E intro videos and in Planescape: Torment ... but I still prefer Tuyfling and Sijil.

Sijil is the pronunciation, according to the dictionary. I used to say Cy-gill, though. I broke myself of that after losing a bet on the pronunciation.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2012 :  18:11:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-When people say 'Drow' where it rhymes with 'Row' instead of 'Ow!', that always aggravated me.

I guess I would aggravate you on that one, then... To me, the row/tow pronunciation is easier to say and more logical than the "how now, brown cow?" pronunciation. I know the proper pronunciation, but it's not the one that comes most readily to mind.

quote:

Don't get me started on 'Vanilla'...

I don't know of any alternate pronunciations on this one, unless going for the Spanish "ll" letter instead of the English two Ls.

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2012 :  18:40:48  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

-When people say 'Drow' where it rhymes with 'Row' instead of 'Ow!', that always aggravated me.

I guess I would aggravate you on that one, then... To me, the row/tow pronunciation is easier to say and more logical than the "how now, brown cow?" pronunciation. I know the proper pronunciation, but it's not the one that comes most readily to mind.

/drō/ sounds more ancient and Britishy and omininous to me. (Perhaps I am subconsciously linking that to the "scro"? )

/drau/ sounds, I don't know, silly and cartoonish. (One of my little brothers took German in high school, and I'm pretty sure I've been unwittingly linking this pronunciation to frau. )

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1281 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2012 :  19:18:46  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm pronouncing it Drow as in "so" or "bow (and arrow)"...and that's how it is. Drow like "ow" sounds stupid to me. Last time I checked wikipedia, both pronounciations were correct. So drow like row it is. When I hear Bob speak at book signings I always want to yell at him to stop saying drauuu. He didn't invent the drow, so I don't accept his pronouncing it that way as gospel.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2012 :  19:50:17  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Definitely rhyming with "bow", it never occurred to me to pronounce it any other way before I started reading forums. But this is probably more of a language/dialect thing which makes it a more logical pronunciation for me.

No Canon, more stories, more Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2012 :  19:53:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

I'm pronouncing it Drow as in "so" or "bow (and arrow)"...and that's how it is. Drow like "ow" sounds stupid to me. Last time I checked wikipedia, both pronounciations were correct. So drow like row it is. When I hear Bob speak at book signings I always want to yell at him to stop saying drauuu. He didn't invent the drow, so I don't accept his pronouncing it that way as gospel.

I don't recall where or when it was said, but it was official word from TSR/WotC that the proper pronunciation is with the "ow" sound.

That said, since drow are their property, they are free to change that, like they did with drow skintone.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2012 :  20:13:57  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't know of any alternate pronunciations on this one, unless going for the Spanish "ll" letter instead of the English two Ls.

-Va-Nill-A. Va-Nell-A. The latter is right in the world of me (which is the only right one), while the former is silly.

-Or, coffee, that's another one...

Elves of Faerūn

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 04 Jun 2012 20:14:16
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2012 :  22:00:57  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well now, people in Southern California used to comment often about my quaint "Canadian accent". But I, too, prefer "how now brown drow" over "droe" or "droo" ... and I agree, people who can't pronounce vanilla or gelatinous really need to expand their vocabulary and reading material.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  02:00:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Sijil is the pronunciation, according to the dictionary. I used to say Cy-gill, though. I broke myself of that after losing a bet on the pronunciation.

I'm going from memory, but I think several characters in one of the old Planescape novels, referred to Sigil as Cy-gil. But I also recall it being said that such pronunciation also prompted strange looks from other folk who heard it pronounced in such a way.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  02:09:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I tend to semi-regularly alternate the pronunciation of drow... like I do with any fantasy-based term, really, to help reflect the fact that most folk -- either in-game or at the tabletop -- have different ways of pronouncing a term. I'll rely on the row/tow sound for some games, and the "how now, brown cow" method for more historically-based games. I don't know why, really, but for whatever reason, I tend to think the "row/tow" is a more modern pronunciation, while "cow" is indicative of a more archaic pronouncement of the term "drow."

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  21:44:36  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

... and I agree, people who can't pronounce vanilla or gelatinous really need to expand their vocabulary and reading material.

-A fantasy, made-up or of foreign origin (from the POV of English), that is what it is, and while it annoys me, I guess I can't get angry at someone who pronounces them 'incorrectly. A word like 'gelatinous', though, I mean, that's a real world. That, that's just...

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

JohnnyGrognard
Acolyte

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2012 :  18:42:09  Show Profile Send JohnnyGrognard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just having a discussion on this topic with some friends....

I would pronounce it Drow as in tow, row, when playing anything other than Forgotten Realms. It has pretty much become universally accepted as Drow with an Ow! in the Forgotten Realms.

Well, that's the way I see it any who. :)

Door, Room, Monster, Treasure!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2012 :  20:35:39  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Ye Olde Sage

I'm going from memory, but I think several characters in one of the old Planescape novels, referred to Sigil as Cy-gil. But I also recall it being said that such pronunciation also prompted strange looks from other folk who heard it pronounced in such a way.

Confirmed, it is pronounced sig-gill by Morte several times in the Planescape: Torment game. I suppose it also prompted strange looks from other folk who heard it pronounced in such a way. But then, Morte probably prompts strange looks from other folk every time he speaks - even folk in Sigil (sijil) who are used to talking mimir-skulls and other weirdness. Morte's just special.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2012 :  21:53:31  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sijil sounds waaaaay better to me

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000