Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Munchkin? Or educate a geezer the new hip jive!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ionik Knight Posted - 06 Sep 2010 : 03:50:29
This is a serious, but still stupidly funny (at least to me), question...when did munchkin replace monty-haul and where does the phrase come from?

Thanks
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Ionik Knight Posted - 06 Sep 2010 : 22:18:19
A most erudite and well researched answer Daviot, many thanks!
Daviot Posted - 06 Sep 2010 : 21:36:20
I've yet to see a conclusive etymology, but the Dictionary of Terminology assumes it's a borrowing from the Small-sized Wizard of Oz humanoids.

That said, munchkin is not necessarily a replacement for "monty haul", and I've continued to hear both in common usage, though munchkin stuck into the gamers' lexicon sometime in the '90's.

Monty Haul remains well-defined, whereas munchkin is a bit more controversial in its exact meaning; many have used it as a sort of an umbrella term for a non-constructive player. RPG.net's Lexica uses the following:
quote:
a player who, through inexperience or immaturity, disrupts the game to the detriment of the other players, usually by any or all of the following:

* Creating a character that's inappropriate to the setting (Classic definition: A munchkin is someone who, in a game of courtly politics and intrigue in 16th century France, wants to play a ninja.)
* Insisting his character either is or has to be the absolute best at everything he does.
* Roleplays poorly, seeing his character (and the other characters) as mere game pieces, without personality or motivations beyond advancing in the game.
* Relating to the last one: approaching all problems, obstacles, and frustrations with violence as a first resort
* Attempting to "win" the game, even at the expense of the other players, in situations where it would be inappropriate.

By comparison, "Monty Haul" generally refers to a character/campaign/GM that's extremely loot/treasure-focused, usually to the detriment of the game.

References:
Munchkin on the TV Tropes Wiki*
Monty Haul on the TV Tropes Wiki*
Trollbill's Unofficial Dictionary of Common D&D Messageboard Terminology 1.22 on the WotC forums
The RPG Lexica on the rpg.net wiki

*So I'm a contributor there, too. What's your point?

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000