Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Munchkin? Or educate a geezer the new hip jive!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ionik Knight
Learned Scribe

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2010 :  03:50:29  Show Profile  Visit Ionik Knight's Homepage Send Ionik Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
This is a serious, but still stupidly funny (at least to me), question...when did munchkin replace monty-haul and where does the phrase come from?

Thanks

Fools to right of them,
Jesters to left of them,
Clowns in front of them
Pun'd and parody'd.

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2010 :  21:36:20  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've yet to see a conclusive etymology, but the Dictionary of Terminology assumes it's a borrowing from the Small-sized Wizard of Oz humanoids.

That said, munchkin is not necessarily a replacement for "monty haul", and I've continued to hear both in common usage, though munchkin stuck into the gamers' lexicon sometime in the '90's.

Monty Haul remains well-defined, whereas munchkin is a bit more controversial in its exact meaning; many have used it as a sort of an umbrella term for a non-constructive player. RPG.net's Lexica uses the following:
quote:
a player who, through inexperience or immaturity, disrupts the game to the detriment of the other players, usually by any or all of the following:

* Creating a character that's inappropriate to the setting (Classic definition: A munchkin is someone who, in a game of courtly politics and intrigue in 16th century France, wants to play a ninja.)
* Insisting his character either is or has to be the absolute best at everything he does.
* Roleplays poorly, seeing his character (and the other characters) as mere game pieces, without personality or motivations beyond advancing in the game.
* Relating to the last one: approaching all problems, obstacles, and frustrations with violence as a first resort
* Attempting to "win" the game, even at the expense of the other players, in situations where it would be inappropriate.

By comparison, "Monty Haul" generally refers to a character/campaign/GM that's extremely loot/treasure-focused, usually to the detriment of the game.

References:
Munchkin on the TV Tropes Wiki*
Monty Haul on the TV Tropes Wiki*
Trollbill's Unofficial Dictionary of Common D&D Messageboard Terminology 1.22 on the WotC forums
The RPG Lexica on the rpg.net wiki

*So I'm a contributor there, too. What's your point?

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

Ionik Knight
Learned Scribe

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2010 :  22:18:19  Show Profile  Visit Ionik Knight's Homepage Send Ionik Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A most erudite and well researched answer Daviot, many thanks!

Fools to right of them,
Jesters to left of them,
Clowns in front of them
Pun'd and parody'd.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000