Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Lone Wolf gamebooks re-released!!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
hawkytom Posted - 06 Aug 2008 : 00:36:10
Does anybody remember the Lone Wolf novels from the 80's/90's? I remember when I was younger these books were what got me hooked on reading. Mongoose publishing is now re-releasing the novels 1-28, and the author will be writting new books 29-32. The re-releases have some updates and mini adventures featured in the back.

This post is basically for anybody who used to read/own Lone-Wolf novels and wish to re-visit this series...I'm glad I found out about this project. Although they are worth a look if you aren't familiar with them either. (I'm in no way affiliated with any of this, just a fan)

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/home/series.php?qsSeries=24

quote:
Launched in the 80's, the Lone Wolf series of gamebooks quickly became firm favourites among a growing fan base. Alone among the gamebooks of their day, Lone Wolf was the only one to feature a cohesive and exciting world, and an extended campaign in which your character could grow and expand as he travelled through all 28 books of the original series. This was the first true mega-campaign!

Prepare to return to the world of Magnamund. The original gamebooks are being revised and updated with additional storylines, quests and adventures, together with stunning new artwork. The series kicks off with Flight From the Dark, now weighing in at a massive 450 pages. No longer left for dead at the Kai Monastery, Lone Wolf has to fight his way clear to raise the alarm.

Subsequent books have all been revised with new material. The first of the new Lone Wolf gamebooks will appear in your local book stores in January 2009 - however, hardbound Collector's Copies will be available, only direct from Mongoose Publishing, at the end of July. Together, they form a superb looking and durable archive of the adventures of Lone Wolf.

You can pick and choose which Lone Wolf adventures to join in on as the gamebooks are released every 6-8 weeks, or you can sign up for one of the greatest fantasy campaigns ever.

All 28 of the original Lone Wolf gamebooks are being updated in this new series, but that is not all. Penned specially by Joe Dever, watch out for the final four, never before released gamebooks, numbered 29-32.

18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
althen artren Posted - 12 Aug 2008 : 01:52:46
Spells stilled, scribes:

Yes, I remember and played those books. They were great. I only got through
13 or so, and I don't remember what I did with them. I'm sorry that I didn't keep
them.
hawkytom Posted - 07 Aug 2008 : 13:54:17
quote:
Originally posted by Ateth Istarlin

I wonder if they will also re-print the "Greystar" spin-off's?

I'm hoping they will, however it probably depends on how much interest they get throughout the project of 1-32, going to take them a few years to just get all those out lol
Ateth Istarlin Posted - 07 Aug 2008 : 12:09:40
I wonder if they will also re-print the "Greystar" spin-off's?
MerrikCale Posted - 07 Aug 2008 : 04:07:05
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Guys, thanks for the information (and the link!).

I had the feeling these were "choose your own adventure" type books, but figured the website would have mentioned that. It didn't. In fact, I got the impression that Mongoose Publishing was just assuming that anyone looking at the webpage already knew what it was all about.

Yeah. I don't recall much about this really
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 06 Aug 2008 : 23:21:32
Guys, thanks for the information (and the link!).

I had the feeling these were "choose your own adventure" type books, but figured the website would have mentioned that. It didn't. In fact, I got the impression that Mongoose Publishing was just assuming that anyone looking at the webpage already knew what it was all about.
Kentinal Posted - 06 Aug 2008 : 20:06:56
Lone Wolf are which way books with the added feature on random numbers to determine some results.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 Aug 2008 : 19:18:08
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:

Wooly and Sage, thanks for the information. A solo adventure sounds like something fun to try.

You may want to start with FR's very own Knight of the Living Dead.

I had a lot of fun playing through that.

Too bad its one of those few products NOT available at Paizo for $4.

I actually have two copies of that one... I need to read thru one of them so I can put it up on eBay.
Markustay Posted - 06 Aug 2008 : 18:57:54
quote:

Wooly and Sage, thanks for the information. A solo adventure sounds like something fun to try.

You may want to start with FR's very own Knight of the Living Dead.

I had a lot of fun playing through that.

Too bad its one of those few products NOT available at Paizo for $4.
hawkytom Posted - 06 Aug 2008 : 18:50:45
Ya they are basically single-player choose your own adventure novels where you create a character and progress with him through the novels...choosing spell/abilities, equipment, items, fight monsters...etc.

I loved it during my childhood and I'll be purchasing each book for my collection! (I ordered their mega-deal program, which is no longer available I think), but I'm basically already paid for the novels and whatever extras they decide to put out :D
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 06 Aug 2008 : 18:31:13
GRYPHON Posted - 06 Aug 2008 : 06:05:47
Good news. I enjoyed the books when they first came out.
SiCK_Boy Posted - 06 Aug 2008 : 05:54:11
For all fans of the Lone Wolf serie, you can consult the Project Aon website at http://www.projectaon.org/

They offer a large part of the collection for free (and legal) download.
The Sage Posted - 06 Aug 2008 : 05:44:23
And you could often play by yourself. Though I do recall a few special "head-to-head" gamebooks [I'm not sure whether they were any published for Lone Wolf] that allowed for interactive gameplay between two people and using the story from the books.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 Aug 2008 : 04:04:40
quote:

I've played the old, old NWN modules based on this setting.

I was wondering, how do you play this game? Are these books novels? Game books? Both? Can you play by yourself?

I don't recall with this specific series, but a lot of gamebooks were mostly the choose-your-own-adventure type, but included some dice rolls. Some even used hit points and various ability scores.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 06 Aug 2008 : 02:26:19
I've played the old, old NWN modules based on this setting.

I was wondering, how do you play this game? Are these books novels? Game books? Both? Can you play by yourself?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 Aug 2008 : 01:40:57
I was a huge fan of the variable ending books back in the day... But I only ever got to read one of these, and it didn't impress me much -- perhaps because it was in the middle, somewhere, and I knew I was missing out on stuff from prior releases.
The Sage Posted - 06 Aug 2008 : 01:09:35
Indeed. I've still got quite a few of these myself. They were a real hoot back in the 80's. And I'm glad to see Dever's still involved. Good stuff!
Garen Thal Posted - 06 Aug 2008 : 00:44:04
Holy crap.

That is all.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000