Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Inhabitants of Selune?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Eladrinstar Posted - 24 Mar 2007 : 02:01:05
Does anyone live in Selune? Does it even have an atmosphere?
27   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jamallo Kreen Posted - 31 Mar 2007 : 18:26:29
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

Sorry, Sage, but it remains unclear to me. I've read the references you cite, but I'm still not certain if it's in Selune's planar realm or on the moon itself (or in the Tears). Realmspace didn't mention it at all, as I recall.
It's Selūne's planar realm -- the Gates of the Moon [see PGtF]. 'Tis noted on pg. 109 under the 'Selūnarra' entry in Lost Empires of Faerūn.

And it wouldn't be referenced in Realmspace.

Mercy buckets.

My confusion lay in whether "Gates of the Moon" could be used to refer to Selune, the astronomical body. Apparently it refers solely to Selune's planar realm.

The Sage Posted - 31 Mar 2007 : 01:00:02
quote:

Sorry, Sage, but it remains unclear to me. I've read the references you cite, but I'm still not certain if it's in Selune's planar realm or on the moon itself (or in the Tears). Realmspace didn't mention it at all, as I recall.
It's Selūne's planar realm -- the Gates of the Moon [see PGtF]. 'Tis noted on pg. 109 under the 'Selūnarra' entry in Lost Empires of Faerūn.

And it wouldn't be referenced in Realmspace.
Kuje Posted - 30 Mar 2007 : 22:39:44
I think there's a echo in here. :)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 30 Mar 2007 : 18:41:35
quote:

quote:

quote:

I've never been quite sure where Opus, the enclave of Netherese penguinmages, wound up: is it on Selune or in the Tears, or is it on a different plane?
Opus's save from apparent demise during Karsus's Folly was briefly referenced in the entry for Opus in the N:EoM boxed set. Whereupon it becomes Selūnarra in Lost Empires of Faerūn and now resides in Selūne's realm. Along with LEoF, you'll find more about Opus/Selūnarra within the N:EoM boxed set.

It's in Selūne's planar realm, the Gates of the Moon.
Jamallo Kreen Posted - 30 Mar 2007 : 18:31:35
quote:

quote:

I've never been quite sure where Opus, the enclave of Netherese penguinmages, wound up: is it on Selune or in the Tears, or is it on a different plane?
Opus's save from apparent demise during Karsus's Folly was briefly referenced in the entry for Opus in the N:EoM boxed set. Whereupon it becomes Selūnarra in Lost Empires of Faerūn and now resides in Selūne's realm. Along with LEoF, you'll find more about Opus/Selūnarra within the N:EoM boxed set.

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 27 Mar 2007 : 01:06:28
quote:

For the most part.

Realmspace notes that the surface of Selune is a cool place, except for the areas around those those molten mountain tops I noted earlier. It is said that the temperature on the surface rarely exceeds 60 degrees [Fahrenheit, I presume], though it virtually never drops to below freezing point. The temperature factor is apparently related to Leira's illusion.

Interesting--I had no idea. I'm all the more intrigued about this place and think it would be pleasant place to live (or adventure).
The Sage Posted - 27 Mar 2007 : 00:55:13
For the most part.

Realmspace notes that the surface of Selune is a cool place, except for the areas around those molten mountain tops I noted earlier. It is said that the temperature on the surface rarely exceeds 60 degrees [Fahrenheit, I presume], though it virtually never drops to below freezing point. The temperature factor is apparently related to Leira's illusion.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 27 Mar 2007 : 00:40:30
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Eladrinstar

But what of the actual landscape? The spelljammer website is sparse on the subject.
The Realmspace sourcebook is the best source for this type of lore.

Briefly, most of Selune's surface is comprised of "sprawling cities, huge lakes, and seas. Majestic mountains with molten peaks lie in huge ranges which stretch from north to south. Three such mountain ranges exist, with the middle one being the tallest and most formidable. The tops of the highest 12 mountains are molten."

From that, we see that most of the cities spread across the surface are connected by decorative streets and illuminated walkways.

So I take it that Toril's moon, unlike our moon, actually has an atmosphere (and, in fact, one similar to that of Earth)?
Eladrinstar Posted - 25 Mar 2007 : 03:42:28
Ah, useful information for my Toril Exploration campaign. Thank you.
The Sage Posted - 24 Mar 2007 : 23:18:46
quote:

Kentinal Posted - 24 Mar 2007 : 23:02:49
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Heh . . . Boof was a inaccurate translation from the original Loross . . . er . . . or something.

Now what kind of charlatan would go and rename things by blaming them on the original Loross?

:-D

--Eric

Perhaps a regional transalation, if not that blame the bard. *wink*
ericlboyd Posted - 24 Mar 2007 : 22:42:48
quote:

Heh . . . Boof was a inaccurate translation from the original Loross . . . er . . . or something.

Now what kind of charlatan would go and rename things by blaming them on the original Loross?

:-D

--Eric
KnightErrantJR Posted - 24 Mar 2007 : 22:15:35
ericlboyd Posted - 24 Mar 2007 : 22:00:31
quote:

I wonder if the inhabitants of Opus had a hand in the creation of the Moonpenguin of Boop.

... of Boof. Not Boop. I can't believe you'd make such a critical error in Realmslore.

;-)

--Eric
Kuje Posted - 24 Mar 2007 : 19:54:18
quote:

I wonder if the inhabitants of Opus had a hand in the creation of the Moonpenguin of Boop.

HAHAHA! Maybe!
KnightErrantJR Posted - 24 Mar 2007 : 19:10:57
Kuje Posted - 24 Mar 2007 : 19:09:06
Opus is in Selune's planar realm, so it's on the outer planes. See Lost Empires.
Jamallo Kreen Posted - 24 Mar 2007 : 18:53:38
quote:

quote:

But what of the actual landscape? The spelljammer website is sparse on the subject.

Briefly, most of Selune's surface is comprised of "sprawling cities, huge lakes, and seas. Majestic mountains with molten peaks lie in huge ranges which stretch from north to south. Three such mountain ranges exist, with the middle one being the tallest and most formidable. The tops of the highest 12 mountains are molten."

From that, we see that most of the cities spread across the surface are connected by decorative streets and illuminated walkways.

(And I give a rousing cheer of support for slade's Realmspace. It is one of the best sources for truly obscure Realmslore, such as why Everlund's former paladin-prince isn't ruling there anymore.)

tauster Posted - 24 Mar 2007 : 09:04:02
quote:

My own thoughts suggest that, until we hear otherwise, Leira's illusion simply isn't what it used to be. It may be that it has decayed somewhat, since with Leira herself now gone, the worshippers have nothing to pray to in order to continue benefiting from Leira's "gift." Cyric taking on the illusion is an interesting prospect, perhaps even having him posing as Leira for a time. Though, I'd imagine he's only doing this because he feels he can eventually turn this sizable portion of Leira-worshippers to him and increase his power beyond Toril itself.
...why do I get new ideas whenever I read something about Torils moon?

This time it's about Cyrics reason for maintaining "The Grand Illusion": with all the Leirans being so paranoid about an invasion from Toril, Cyric (the god of strife, remember!) has the ideal hatchery for one of the greatest strifes ever possible. Compared to the storm an "interplanetary" war between Selune and Toril(1) would arouse, the cyric-caused strife among the Zhentarim looks like a calm wind.

(1) it probably wouldnd't be a war between only Faerun and the moon, because the Leirans would want to involve the Shou spelljamming fleet.

From what we know about the Leirans, their two greatest features are hedonism and their paranoia. So if the people of a whole PLANET dedicate a big part of their resources to preparing for an invasion on such a global scale, they probably have amassed quite some resources. And remember: they didn't start only yesterday hoarding magical items and preparing invasion shelters!

It needs only a little spark of intrigue (Cyrics core competence, apart from self-induced madness ) to convince them that this or that nation/alliance/powergroup plans an invasion and is about to strike.

Cyric might use a spelljammimg ship (or several) he got his hands on, give it to somebody of that powergroup and send them under some pretence to Selune. He foists some false documents on them, sends a dream-vision to a "Selunite" priest on the moon (or to several of them, giving the impression of a major warning sign from their goddess) - and settles back to enjoy the largest strife he has created in his rather short divine life!

If Cyric starts to let the Grand Illusion "leak" from time to time, he might be able to convince the Leirans that the reason is the groundling enemy, trying to destroy it magically (even though it's a bit far-fetched that mortals can influence such a huge divine work).
The Sage Posted - 24 Mar 2007 : 06:38:54
Hehe... Indeed, I did mean Leira*.

* Accept this merely as an example of how an old sage, who even though may currently be running on less than five hours sleep over the last three days, is still quite capable of making ridiculous errors
Dargoth Posted - 24 Mar 2007 : 03:51:44
quote:

Indeed, there are people living on Selune.

Among them... humans, elves, and a significant settlement of Leiran faithful. Actually, they'd likely former faithful now given her 'dead' status. There are other races also. See the Realmspace sourcebook and the details for Selune at the spelljammer.org website.

I'll also note that an illusion crafted by Leira herself makes/made the moon appear to be a barren rock, hiding the actual landscape. I say makes/made because, with the death of Selune , it isn't entirely clear the illusion still exists. We're currently waiting to hear back from Ed on the matter.

My own thoughts suggest that, until we hear otherwise, Leira's illusion simply isn't what it used to be. It may be that it has decayed somewhat, since with Leira herself now gone, the worshippers have nothing to pray to in order to continue benefiting from Leira's "gift." Cyric taking on the illusion is an interesting prospect, perhaps even having him posing as Leira for a time. Though, I'd imagine he's only doing this because he feels he can eventually turn this sizable portion of Leira-worshippers to him and increase his power beyond Toril itself.

WTF!

I assume you mean Leira?
The Sage Posted - 24 Mar 2007 : 03:34:27
quote:

KnightErrantJR Posted - 24 Mar 2007 : 02:30:51
And there is a fair bit of discussion of this topic in this thread:

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8426&SearchTerms=spelljammer
Eladrinstar Posted - 24 Mar 2007 : 02:30:27
Oh, Leira worshippers on the moon sounds intriguing. I like it.

The Sage Posted - 24 Mar 2007 : 02:11:35
I'd assume dwarves make up some percentage of those "other races."

Even though their petitions to set up mines on the moon have met with little success, dwarves are inherently a stubborn people. Thus, a small community of them likely exists on Selune for the express purpose of "reminding the authorities" why they are there. They may even attempt what little prospecting they can get away with from time to time... though, I'd imagine the Selunite government does all it can to dissuade such dwarven actions -- for fears about outsiders discovering the "invasion shelters."
The Sage Posted - 24 Mar 2007 : 02:06:33
Indeed, there are people living on Selune.

Among them... humans, elves, and a significant settlement of Leiran faithful. Actually, they'd likely former faithful now given her 'dead' status. There are other races also. See the Realmspace sourcebook and the details for Selune at the spelljammer.org website.

I'll also note that an illusion crafted by Leira herself makes/made the moon appear to be a barren rock, hiding the actual landscape. I say makes/made because, with the death of Leira, it isn't entirely clear the illusion still exists. We're currently waiting to hear back from Ed on the matter.

RodOdom Posted - 24 Mar 2007 : 02:04:48
Good question ! I think you should ask Ed about that.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000