Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Soundtrack for the Realms

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
RodOdom Posted - 30 Jun 2006 : 18:14:42
Anyone like to leave music on during sessions? The soundtracks to the computer games Morrowind and Oblivion are pretty neat.
26   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Fellfire Posted - 19 Jan 2012 : 23:27:34
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

Sabbath for gaming...oooh that gives me an idea... I think I have to get the CD of this band: http://www.sabbatum.com/

Just discovered this and it is bizarre but it rocks (yeah, War Pigs!!!)

Hora nigra Dei advenit.
Supplicantes verres repunt,
peccatores precantur.
Satan ridet, taetatur.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 19 Jan 2012 : 22:50:46
@ Wolfhound75: That goes for me, too. I tend to use mostly instrumentals, or those with certain themes or lyrics that fit the mood and/or situation. Savatage's version (along with several of their other songs, notably In the Wake of the Magellan) works great! And listening to some ofthose tunes on your link, Mace, I'm liking it!
Wolfhound75 Posted - 19 Jan 2012 : 15:17:17
Jumping completely out onto the other edge of the blade, Apocalyptica's rendition of In the Hall of the Mountain King provides an interesting counterpoint to more classic symphony orchestra pieces.

One of the funniest coincidences we've had in the past was Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries coming up in queue during a portion where the entire party was flying on griffon back in an effort to extract a contact/NPC comrade from the clutches of the enemy before they could fully close the trap. Being that our group was 80% prior military, everyone had a good laugh at the irony of a D&D version of the scene from Apocalypse Now.

Going away from classical compositions, groups like Mannheim Steamroller have also been favored in the past. We also have a heavy mix of traditional Celtic/Irish and even African Tribal pieces included in our usual playlist. Someone even mixed in some Blue Man Group stuff at one point.

We don't always play music but when we do, we try to stay away from lyrics or at least tend to favor pieces that are mostly instrumental.

Good Hunting!
Artemas Entreri Posted - 19 Jan 2012 : 14:11:38
The soundtracks for any of the Elder Scrolls games would be great too. Not sure if they are for sale by themselves though.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 19 Jan 2012 : 14:08:16
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

For us, it's LotR, 300, Conan (the 2 Arnold movie soundtracks), and Apocalyptica; occasionally the DM finds a use for Black Sabbath or a Metallica instrumental.

Love the original Conan the Barbarian sountrack. Gladiator and Braveheart are other great ones.
Jakk Posted - 19 Jan 2012 : 06:11:54
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

Sabbath for gaming...oooh that gives me an idea... I think I have to get the CD of this band: http://www.sabbatum.com/

Mace, I think I have to get this CD too... how am I supposed to get my Visa completely paid off when things like this keep popping up?

Edit: Erm... on second thought, I'll wait and hope it comes down in price a bit... I just checked it out on amazon.ca, and it's apparently a collector's album now.
Jakk Posted - 19 Jan 2012 : 06:08:33
For us, it's LotR, 300, Conan (the 2 Arnold movie soundtracks), and Apocalyptica; occasionally the DM finds a use for Black Sabbath or a Metallica instrumental.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 17 Jan 2012 : 23:36:49
Ah, gaming music! Something I do frequently, as it happens. I've used namy of the ones others have mentioned- Midnight Syndicate, some Enya, and Beastmaster and Red Sonya soundtracks, and even some FF VII and VIII. I tend to go with older 80's fantasy tracks, as they are usually very epic. Nox Arcana and some traditional Celtic and Lord of the Dance/Riverdance stuff has seen play, as has Mike Oldfield's The Voyager album. (Great tunage in its own right, BTW...) Also Alestorm, Dragonforce, and a few anime tracks as well. (Lodoss Wars opening theme is another fave!) Basically, I believe in finding music to fit the mood or the scenario, so if a Gundam Wing theme works for a battle, darn skippy I'll use it! Same goes for scores for everything from 300 to Boondock Saints. (has some lovely Irish traditional tunes in the soundtrack!)
Fellfire Posted - 15 Jan 2012 : 05:38:10
Just found this Midnight Syndicate; Dungeons and Dragons; Official Roleplaying Soundtrack and it is frikkin' great!!! I still wish I could find that old TSR CD though.
ShadowJack Posted - 07 Jul 2006 : 20:00:44
I "created" a soundtrack for a chapter of my campaign that had a short dungeon crawl and then woods travel ending with the players at the foot of the MoonBridge into Silverymoon. I used tracks from Vangelis (Mythodea?, I think...) (No, it was Celtic Dawn!) Last of the Mohicans (great for dumgeon crawls)some Enya, Midnight Syndicate (Heroes Valor, or something like that, which is a great piece)and a few very medieval sounding tracks from David Arkhenstone. (Great stuff. The only problem was remembering to start the tracks at the appropriate times, when the action was going on...
Mask Posted - 07 Jul 2006 : 11:04:44
Personally I have purchased several Soundtracks/Scores from different movies to use during D&D. Amongst them are: Troy, Gladiator (perhaps the best score ever), Matrix Reloaded and Matrix Revolutions (they're really up-tempo and can be quite usefull during battles), The Rock, Conan the Barbarian, The Last Samurai, Jean d'Arc (I shouldn't have bought that one), King Arthur and Face/Off. Basically I use music from movies only.
The Sage Posted - 07 Jul 2006 : 10:47:25
If you've got a Zhentarim-heavy campaign coming up... nothing beats Mahler's later symphonies as appropriate background music for campaigns.
Aquanova Posted - 02 Jul 2006 : 01:02:08
Also, The Legend of Zelda has some really good tunes, specifically the re-arranged albums with Ocarina of Time and Windwaker works.

Though, they're rather hard to come by. Still, I just thought I'd put that out there.
Sian Posted - 01 Jul 2006 : 19:33:10
Enya is good ... and so is the more 'quiet' ballad-like parts of music based on Symfonic Epic metal (Rhapsody springs to mind)
Asgetrion Posted - 01 Jul 2006 : 19:15:30
quote:
Originally posted by Wandering_mage

Thanks for the shared laugh.

I'll have to check out El Greco too.

Try it... I hope you will love it. You'd be hard-pressed to find more suitable music for gloomy dungeon crawling
Wandering_mage Posted - 01 Jul 2006 : 01:18:05
Thanks for the shared laugh.

I'll have to check out El Greco too.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 01 Jul 2006 : 00:43:17
quote:
Originally posted by Wandering_mage

Oh, one last thing. I heard the Nick Lachey song the other day about him sing about what is left of him or something...

I know what you're talking about.

As long as I'm listening to disco, I think happy thoughts--even about fun times in the Realms.
Asgetrion Posted - 01 Jul 2006 : 00:40:21
We prefer soundtracks from movies and computer games in my gaming group: Icewind Dale II, Planescape: Torment, LoTR (all movies), 13th Warrior, etcetera. In addition to this, various Vangelis albums have worked really well, too (El Greco is great for dungeon crawling or dark/moody adventures ;)
Wandering_mage Posted - 30 Jun 2006 : 22:26:15
Oh, one last thing. I heard the Nick Lachey song the other day about him sing about what is left of him or something and I immediately thought of Eric Scott de Bie's short story in the Realms of Elves with Yldar standing there after being left by Twilight. Hahahaha, sadly I had a hard time sharing a laugh with any one over that. The imagination is a funny and wonderful thing!
Wandering_mage Posted - 30 Jun 2006 : 22:23:50
Hey, I hate to say it but Enya has some good stuff too. She has this one dark song that is awesome for exploring a dark dungeon when a really nasty encounter is about to start. My wife actually did me a favor and searched for good DnD session music and she found some harp music, LotR music (of course), Enya, tavern music and sounds, and various other helpful things. Hope this helps.
RodOdom Posted - 30 Jun 2006 : 21:51:55
Please share, I'm really intersted, Ergdusch.
Ergdusch Posted - 30 Jun 2006 : 21:34:57
Even put three cds together (so far) from various diffent soundtracks especially for roleplaying sessions.

Ergdusch
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 30 Jun 2006 : 20:31:34
Jorkens Posted - 30 Jun 2006 : 20:01:10
I usually use Chopin, Brahms or other 19th century classical music or something more in the Singer/songwriter alley. I remember when we were teenagers and were able to play, quite undisturbed, with Deep Purple, Black Sabbath and Queen on the stereo.

I like having sound when I game, but I have not seen the music as a help in creating an atmosphere.
Kaladorm Posted - 30 Jun 2006 : 19:56:53
Occasionally after our lunch break Andrew W.K. gets put on, just to get everyone in a fun mood
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 30 Jun 2006 : 18:27:40
If I have the time and patience I select from various soundtracks to support specific scenes.

When running a Ravenloft one-shot for my players to introduce a new character I heavily used the 13 Ghosts and Bram Stoker's Dracula soundtrack. For regular gaming I mostly use the LotR soundtrack altho I will utilize other things in the future: Conan the Barbarian sountrack, Midnight Syndicate stuff, and I will have to look for medieval music as a backdrop as well.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000