Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Anti RPG

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
zemd Posted - 20 Mar 2003 : 17:40:51
Have you been involved in a discussion with an anti-rpg person, did you visit anti-rpg sites, books,...?

This one is very funny

This one is cool

Finally this one is the answer to the previous one
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Sage Posted - 13 Dec 2003 : 07:42:43
Well, I've had issues with these entities since they were introduced, but then I just remind myself that it is Planescape....

Bookwyrm Posted - 13 Dec 2003 : 07:40:34
Er . . . .

Okay, so there is such a thing as too much physics in my fantasy. I'll leave that one alone, how's that?
The Sage Posted - 13 Dec 2003 : 06:49:46
Indeed .

And for a fantasy-related aspect, the progenitors of the two-dimensional Moignos (on the plane of Mechanus) were actually one-dimensional entities called Yuu...they exist purely as a concept of energy

Bookwyrm Posted - 12 Dec 2003 : 15:56:05
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

These strips become more bizarre, and even more disturbing the more I read them...

Part of the fun of reading it!

And you can have a "one-sided" 3D object. It's called a Mobius strip.
Arivia Posted - 12 Dec 2003 : 08:38:21
I agree, Sage... This may also be of interest, or this. And thisis simply funny.
The Sage Posted - 12 Dec 2003 : 08:08:44
These strips become more bizarre, and even more disturbing the more I read them...

Bookwyrm Posted - 12 Dec 2003 : 07:02:29
Have to share this with everyone.
Bookwyrm Posted - 07 Dec 2003 : 09:07:32
Oooooo . . . .

Linabot, have you met Cyric . . . ?
Lina Posted - 07 Dec 2003 : 09:02:43
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Leader

I don't know a Lina bot could be kinda faulty hehe. Not following orders, the mute button doesnt make her shut up. That sorta thing. lol. Just kidding.

Very funny. Ha Ha HA!! You just crack me up... Buzzzzz. Warning! Error. Internal fault detected. System failure in 5 seconds... Rebooting... System online and functioning. No faults detected... Must... KILL! MUST KILL!!! KILL... CULT LEADER! *Lasers shoot from her eyes turning Cult Leader to dust*
Cult_Leader Posted - 24 Nov 2003 : 13:19:07
I don't know a Lina bot could be kinda faulty hehe. Not following orders, the mute button doesnt make her shut up. That sorta thing. lol. Just kidding.
Lina Posted - 22 Nov 2003 : 06:35:10
Seems to me that these website links are very Amish (people who are backwards and live in times before modern convienances like electricity).

I don't know anyone who's anti-rpg, but who would have anything against promoting thought, individualism and expressing oneself as a result of RPG's. Maybe they'd like us all to be robots instead.
kahonen Posted - 18 Nov 2003 : 12:48:06
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Fortunately, I found something (finally!) to counter Chick's idiotic Dark Dungeons. Well, actually, my father found it and passed it along. Confessions of a Dungeons & Dragons™ Addict is written by a born-again Christian, like Chick, but one that has been playing D&D since it came out. He and his wife had found out about the new game when it was recomended as a psychiatric tool to help troubled teens open up. He was shocked when other people thought it was evil, and addresses all the problems people find in it.

He points out that other games (even chess!) teach things that might be considered undesirable. He also addresses what he finds "wrong" about it, but it has nothing to do with what people like Chick are wailing over.

And, much to my delight, he presents a convincing argument as to why Christians should play D&D.

Read it -- it's well worth your while, even if you don't care about religion.

An excellent article, Bookwyrm.

I've seen Role Play used very successfully for a variety of educational roles. I once helped out with a role play exercise for a group of autistic children and it seemed to work - if these kids have difficulty being themselves, what's wrong with them being someone else?
eilinel Posted - 18 Nov 2003 : 12:38:54
very interesting indeed.
and i totally agree with u Yasraena.
Yasraena Posted - 18 Nov 2003 : 03:35:57
Interesting article. It gives me hope that there are more people like that out there and that not all of them are (insert holy book preference) thumping idiots.
My only problem with it was that the author continuously refers to christianity as the one true religion. It's on that reason alone that I generally ignore most christians (and most other people of organized religions)when they start to talk about it. I think this guy would be cool to have a conversation about this with.
Bookwyrm Posted - 17 Nov 2003 : 15:29:54
Fortunately, I found something (finally!) to counter Chick's idiotic Dark Dungeons. Well, actually, my father found it and passed it along. Confessions of a Dungeons & Dragons™ Addict is written by a born-again Christian, like Chick, but one that has been playing D&D since it came out. He and his wife had found out about the new game when it was recomended as a psychiatric tool to help troubled teens open up. He was shocked when other people thought it was evil, and addresses all the problems people find in it.

He points out that other games (even chess!) teach things that might be considered undesirable. He also addresses what he finds "wrong" about it, but it has nothing to do with what people like Chick are wailing over.

And, much to my delight, he presents a convincing argument as to why Christians should play D&D.

Read it -- it's well worth your while, even if you don't care about religion.
Bookwyrm Posted - 29 May 2003 : 07:43:31
Heh. I remember one time, as a drama exercise, we were supposed to imitate stereotypes. When it came to the geek, I did it so well that one girl I was (mildly) friends with (we hadn't known each other long, but we got along well) actually fell down because she was laughing too hard.

It wasn't that hard for me. I'm still pencil-necked, as well as -armed and -legged. (The only difference is this stupid flab in the middle. It's not a beer-belly -- it's a computer-chair-chubbiness. ) At the time of the above story, I had huge glasses. I now have some much better ones, but without them I'm squinting like . . . well, like a guy who can't see anything without glasses. I have no tan or anything; only some natural pinkness keeps me from going pasty-white. My clothes tend toward wrinkly and unstylish.

That's not all. I have five bookcases in my room, and I still have to double up the books to get them to fit. I use both a laptop and a desktop. The laptop is carried most places, whether to a friend's house or to classes. I usually carry a PDA with me as well. In my backpack is a pocket-sized electronic dictionary and thesaurus. I don't actually carry it in my pocket because it's too full with my other pocket-sized junk. To top it off, I actually enjoy reading, and have never gotten less than a C in any college course (and that was just two: the first one I took, during the summer, and the other in Spanish).

People look at me and assume things, such as:

• I'm training to be an MD (I'm not, I'm going to be a teacher).

• Golf is my favorite sport (never played it, except miniature golf on two occations -- once when I was seven).

• I'm good at basketball (I must be -- I'm six-foot-three! ).

• I'm good with computers (wait, why did this program crash again?).

• I get a 4.0 (please).

• I play video games (I don't own, and never have owned, any Gameboys or Nintendos or X-Boxes).

Obviously, I'm a geek. Shun me. I will infect you.
Yasraena Posted - 29 May 2003 : 01:02:37
Mournblade, you have got a way with words my man. I've never heard of geeks and non-geeks described in such a way. Mundanes! Haha! Gotta love it!
Mournblade Posted - 29 May 2003 : 00:39:30
I am a teacher as well, and most people think I am mildly essentric. Heh.. MILDLY! ANyway, I have been in gaming all my life, and I remember one time in college when I was in the cafeteria with some of my classmates, their FIRST shock came to life. We were watching a group of students play Star Wars. Well my classmates said something like "HAH HAH imagine being those geeks overthere." ANd I said "Well I do it all the time, I play Dungeons and Dragons..." They said YOU play D&D etc. etc. I thought I thought I thought...etc. It was so annoying, but they then had to face the fact that this person they thought was mildly cool was actually a TOTAL GEEK in disguise.

I don't hide that I am a geek at all. I love it. I also do not mind going out on weekends either, but I often shock people that this 'geek' can out drink EVERYONE he works with. (This geek was also in the US navy..) But I have always thought wasting your weekend away with CLUBBING was the WORST way to spend the weekend. THat is just what one aspect of the world, a group I like to call the MUNDANES enjoy doing. THey do not have much creativity or independent thought so they must do things like DRINK, DANCE, Talk about girls/guys, and talk about American Idol winners and Bachelors. DO not worry Sage, you sound like an Utter and COMPLETE geek! This would place you among the realm of the elite and independent thinkers. SO be PROUD!!! You are FINE ADDITION to the rank of Geeks!!!!

Brynweir Posted - 28 May 2003 : 20:58:18
My parents were not very accepting of the fact that I played D&D in college. Even though we actually had it organized as a faculty sponsored club (technically, we covered all games) and held several "gaming" conventions to raise money for club events.

My father even tried to say that's why I don't go to church. (It had nothing to do with the fact that I disagree with the teachings of the church, you see. It had to be the "evil" influence of D&D.)

Of course, after I brought my friends out to the house and they got to know them, they came to realize that they were some pretty terrific people (a doctor, two teachers, two nurses, three computer programmers, a college professor, a lawyer, and a chemist)who all lead "normal" lives. The way I see it, it is not much different than practicing for a play. It is just another type of role (sometimes with some very "special" costumes. Right, Mournblade?)

Now I just have to deal with other teachers thinking I'm weird. It has helped reach some of my students, though. I've had several students over the past few years who wouldn't work for anybody. Once they found out I was into D&D and M:TG they looked at me differently. All I had to do to motivate them was to promise to discuss some aspect of D&D or M:TG when their work was finished and they would actually so the assignments. (Whatever works.)

My daughter is four, and I have to say in this day and age, if D&D or M:TG are the worst that she's into, then I 'll consider myself very lucky.
The Sage Posted - 28 May 2003 : 14:16:05
I wish to add another international perspective on 'anti-rpg' sentiments, especially from Australia.

Speaking about the city in which I live, I would have to say that the attitudes towards D&D and gaming in particular are moderately liberal and open-minded. D&D gaming doesn't have as much history of conflict here in Australia as it does in other countries, however there are small elements that would like to see the idea of RPG gaming going the way of crooked politicians.

My family appears rather open-minded about my habits, but I did have some problems several years ago when I starting playing M:TG. For some reason they found this disturbing. However we reached a comprise, and they came to respect the passion I have for my hobbies.

However at work it is a completely different story. I have found that the general attitudes of my fellow co-workers leaves a lot to be desired. I have been very reticent to make knowledge of my hobbies public within the workplace, mainly due to the fact that another co-worker (a gamer of RPG Star Wars) was ridiculed and labelled a geek and nerd because of his activities, someone with no life or bearing. So understandably you can see my problems here.

In comparison, these are the same type of people who can drone on and on about what types of cars they like or what type of cigarettes they smoke, and what women they find attractive, and lastly, how drunk they get on the weekends, with their friends. I find it hard to see how these people can make these comments, and I find it just as equally hard to see how getting 'wasted' on the weekends equates to a life well spent.

Oh well, I guess Australia is just as bizarre as the rest of the planet.

Bookwyrm Posted - 24 May 2003 : 11:26:00
By Toutatis! (Asterix, anyone?)
zemd Posted - 24 May 2003 : 10:11:51
The professor in Back to future say nearly the same. Translating from French it's "By Zeus" or "In the name of Zeus"
Mournblade Posted - 23 May 2003 : 00:49:01
As a teacher I have learned to not swear recognizably. So I usually say things like Son of Zeus, and By THOR, and stuff liek that. Most people don't know I am swearing.
zemd Posted - 22 May 2003 : 18:20:11
Mournblade!!!

<zemd shakes his head mid atonished/mid laughing>

Well well, when i was drunk once during a party i prayed Mystra... don't worry it was just for fun; i know it's not real, but the guys who passed next to me where ... surprised
Mournblade Posted - 22 May 2003 : 00:53:42
quote:
Originally posted by eilinel

funny ye.
i don't have any story like that, i would however.
But i don't wear anything else than my dices on me.
I have a friend that always wear tee-shirts with "i love sucks" written on it... If u look the other side there is a vampire sucking blood... but if u don't look the other side, what do u think?

HAH HAH I know I brought up the Sunite paladins and how I generally like the goddess SUNE. But I would just read the shirt and say "THAT IS THE TRUTH!!!!"

and I USED to be called a romantic...
Malice Posted - 21 May 2003 : 19:59:00
::tuts and shakes head:: tsk tsk. shameful, i'd say. just shameful.
Bookwyrm Posted - 20 May 2003 : 15:25:12
Someone sucking on some hardcandy, of course.

What else could it be?
eilinel Posted - 20 May 2003 : 15:22:32
funny ye.
i don't have any story like that, i would however.
But i don't wear anything else than my dices on me.
I have a friend that always wear tee-shirts with "i love sucks" written on it... If u look the other side there is a vampire sucking blood... but if u don't look the other side, what do u think?
Bookwyrm Posted - 16 May 2003 : 09:19:29
Heh. I like that story -- both of them, actually. I'll have to remember that. Maybe the guy watched a scootch too much Charmed?
Mournblade Posted - 12 May 2003 : 21:59:58
In the live action roleplaying game I am in, I play a Warlok. All that means is we are higher level wizards (though I am also a warrior) that gets their power from CHaos. Well the symbol of the Warlock is the Pentacle. This weekend my friend J.R. and I wanted to make a sheet we could just drop down for 'rituals'. Well we used red latex paint and a black sheet to lay down the pentacle.

the black sheet with the pentacle is right in the middle of the floor. I am sure no one will rob that house

My exgirlfriend used to where a pentacle all the time, and she had one hanging from her rear view miror. We were in NYC, and her car got broken into. Funny enough, her CD case was opened but nothing taken. Her glove box was open with her emergency cash still there but rumaged through. We think the Pentacle saved her against some paranoid crooks.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000