Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 metallic names for the dark elves, etc?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
varyar Posted - 23 Jun 2006 : 19:47:39
Gold elves, silver elves, copper elves, mithral elves, check. But are there any metallic-ish names for the dark elves, sea elves (possibly pearl elves?), lythari and avariel?
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
scererar Posted - 08 Jul 2006 : 07:09:41
oops, my bad it is indeed Mithral, not Mithril. See what happens when you take off for a while Sage

I have editted my earlier post for spelling.
The Sage Posted - 07 Jul 2006 : 10:44:48
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

quote:
Originally posted by scererar

quote:
Originally posted by Dhomal

Hello-

Well - for obce I felt like I was fully cognizant of everyting in this threas. Except....

Mithral Elves? Did I miss something somewhere?

Thanks!

Dhomal

page 9 of unapproachable east states exactly that the star elves are sometimes referred to in ancient texts as.. mithril elves

Thanks, I hadn`t noticed that. Which begs the question, why did they change it from mithril to mithral? I`ve been wondering over that for three years now.

They're mentioned as "mithral" in the UE entry already referenced... not "mithril."
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 30 Jun 2006 : 22:13:30
I want Heavy Metal elves *headbang*
Kajehase Posted - 30 Jun 2006 : 16:46:15
Mithril to mithral could of course be a (very, very, very feeble) attempt to differentiate the D&D-metal from that in the world of Tolkien's Middle-earth.
Kaladorm Posted - 30 Jun 2006 : 15:48:13
Interesting, I never knew them as Mithral Elves.

Khorne there have been a few changes to spellings etc, most of them don't seem to be conscious forced changed, merely a change in convention (Reverie used to be spelled Revery for example)
khorne Posted - 30 Jun 2006 : 15:25:25
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

quote:

Hello-

Well - for obce I felt like I was fully cognizant of everyting in this threas. Except....

Thanks!

Dhomal

page 9 of unapproachable east states exactly that the star elves are sometimes referred to in ancient texts as.. mithril elves

Thanks, I hadn`t noticed that. Which begs the question, why did they change it from mithril to mithral? I`ve been wondering over that for three years now.
scererar Posted - 24 Jun 2006 : 07:50:08
quote:

Hello-

Thanks!

Dhomal

page 9 of unapproachable east states exactly that the star elves are sometimes referred to in ancient texts as.. mithral elves

edit: for spelling of Mithral not Mithril as earlier posted, sorry for any confusion my friends. I can read.... really
Kuje Posted - 24 Jun 2006 : 05:23:13
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Mithral Elves = Star Elves in at least some lore.

Unapproachable East says so. :)
Kentinal Posted - 24 Jun 2006 : 04:02:50
Mithral Elves = Star Elves in at least some lore.
Dhomal Posted - 24 Jun 2006 : 04:01:08
Hello-

Thanks!

Dhomal
GothicDan Posted - 23 Jun 2006 : 21:17:58
Yeah. "Silver" and "Gold" are Common. :)

Ar can mean a lot of things, for instance - gold, great, ruler, etc. It's most likely a derivative of a Sun Elven/Noble dialect, of course.

"Tel'Quessir" is what the Elves refer to themselves as - it means "the People." N'Tel'Quessir are the "Not People" (anyone else).

So, Sun Elves basically refer to themselves as "The Great People," or "The Ruling People," or the like.

"Arcor" was the original term for the wood of Cormanthor - it means "The Great Forest."

The Ruler's Blade also has the "Ar" prefix.

All remnants of Sun Elven culture, most likely. (Just like ethnicities among humans, not all Elves have the exact same culture - even their religious beliefs vary!)
varyar Posted - 23 Jun 2006 : 21:09:53
quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan

Not all Elves have metal-names. They're just nicknames that other races give them. Among their own kind, they are known as the Ar-Tel'Quessir (for Sun Elves) and the like.

Ah, I didn't know the gold/silver/etc was applied by other races. d'oh! Thanks for the replies.
GothicDan Posted - 23 Jun 2006 : 20:55:29
Not all Elves have metal-names. They're just nicknames that other races give them. Among their own kind, they are known as the Ar-Tel'Quessir (for Sun Elves) and the like.
Kentinal Posted - 23 Jun 2006 : 20:04:26
Well pearl is not a metal, it is a gem (generally at least clasified as one) and clearly not metal. I can not recall seeing a metal name for any that you list as not having one. Dark elves and Sea elves and avariel to the best of my knowledge do not have a metal assosciated with them. Lythari in some ways might not be considered true elves because of the shapechange feature , also to my knowledge, do not have a metal assosciated with them. For what it is worth Silver is associated with the moon and a best guess as to what might best serve them, alas the Moonelves already have Silver.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000