Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 metallic names for the dark elves, etc?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

varyar
Learned Scribe

130 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2006 :  19:47:39  Show Profile Send varyar a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Gold elves, silver elves, copper elves, mithral elves, check. But are there any metallic-ish names for the dark elves, sea elves (possibly pearl elves?), lythari and avariel?

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2006 :  20:04:26  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well pearl is not a metal, it is a gem (generally at least clasified as one) and clearly not metal. I can not recall seeing a metal name for any that you list as not having one. Dark elves and Sea elves and avariel to the best of my knowledge do not have a metal assosciated with them. Lythari in some ways might not be considered true elves because of the shapechange feature , also to my knowledge, do not have a metal assosciated with them. For what it is worth Silver is associated with the moon and a best guess as to what might best serve them, alas the Moonelves already have Silver.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2006 :  20:55:29  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not all Elves have metal-names. They're just nicknames that other races give them. Among their own kind, they are known as the Ar-Tel'Quessir (for Sun Elves) and the like.

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

varyar
Learned Scribe

130 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2006 :  21:09:53  Show Profile Send varyar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan

Not all Elves have metal-names. They're just nicknames that other races give them. Among their own kind, they are known as the Ar-Tel'Quessir (for Sun Elves) and the like.

Ah, I didn't know the gold/silver/etc was applied by other races. d'oh! Thanks for the replies.
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2006 :  21:17:58  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah. "Silver" and "Gold" are Common. :)

Ar can mean a lot of things, for instance - gold, great, ruler, etc. It's most likely a derivative of a Sun Elven/Noble dialect, of course.

"Tel'Quessir" is what the Elves refer to themselves as - it means "the People." N'Tel'Quessir are the "Not People" (anyone else).

So, Sun Elves basically refer to themselves as "The Great People," or "The Ruling People," or the like.

"Arcor" was the original term for the wood of Cormanthor - it means "The Great Forest."

The Ruler's Blade also has the "Ar" prefix.

All remnants of Sun Elven culture, most likely. (Just like ethnicities among humans, not all Elves have the exact same culture - even their religious beliefs vary!)

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD

Edited by - GothicDan on 23 Jun 2006 21:21:04
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2006 :  04:01:08  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

Well - for obce I felt like I was fully cognizant of everyting in this threas. Except....

Mithral Elves? Did I miss something somewhere?

Thanks!

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2006 :  04:02:50  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mithral Elves = Star Elves in at least some lore.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2006 :  05:23:13  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Mithral Elves = Star Elves in at least some lore.

Unapproachable East says so. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2006 :  07:50:08  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dhomal

Hello-

Well - for obce I felt like I was fully cognizant of everyting in this threas. Except....

Thanks!

Dhomal

page 9 of unapproachable east states exactly that the star elves are sometimes referred to in ancient texts as.. mithral elves

edit: for spelling of Mithral not Mithril as earlier posted, sorry for any confusion my friends. I can read.... really

Edited by - scererar on 08 Jul 2006 07:10:57
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2006 :  15:25:25  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

quote:

Hello-

Thanks!

Dhomal

page 9 of unapproachable east states exactly that the star elves are sometimes referred to in ancient texts as.. mithril elves

Thanks, I hadn`t noticed that. Which begs the question, why did they change it from mithril to mithral? I`ve been wondering over that for three years now.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2006 :  15:48:13  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting, I never knew them as Mithral Elves.

Khorne there have been a few changes to spellings etc, most of them don't seem to be conscious forced changed, merely a change in convention (Reverie used to be spelled Revery for example)
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2006 :  16:46:15  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mithril to mithral could of course be a (very, very, very feeble) attempt to differentiate the D&D-metal from that in the world of Tolkien's Middle-earth.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2006 :  22:13:30  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want Heavy Metal elves *headbang*

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2006 :  10:44:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

quote:
Originally posted by scererar

quote:

Hello-

Thanks!

Dhomal

page 9 of unapproachable east states exactly that the star elves are sometimes referred to in ancient texts as.. mithril elves

Thanks, I hadn`t noticed that. Which begs the question, why did they change it from mithril to mithral? I`ve been wondering over that for three years now.

They're mentioned as "mithral" in the UE entry already referenced... not "mithril."

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2006 :  07:09:41  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
oops, my bad it is indeed Mithral, not Mithril. See what happens when you take off for a while Sage

I have editted my earlier post for spelling.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000